Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: L85a1/a2... SA80a1/A2

Hey guys,

I've finally got hold of the parts I need to give my old Star L85 abit of a refresh as an interim while I work on the Ares. I am going to replace the hop unit/rubber (something is wrong with it currently, I am almost getting minus hop, it is skewing it all over), and install a tight bore barrel. I am fine installing these sort of parts in an M4 type, but am dubious about the integrated gearbox/hop unit.

Does anyone have any advice on installing these in a Star/Ares, or know of a guide online, since I can't find any? I am not good with opening gearboxes, so if anyones done it, do they know if I am going to have to know my way round the GB properly to install a new hop unit, or is it more a case of opening, plonking it in and closing it up. I have enquired about getting it done professionally, but to be honest the prices have been about as much as the parts themselves (albeit cheapish parts).

Comment

• Opening up the gun itself and actually getting the box out is the most mind numbing task I've undertaken on a RIF, the Ares L85s construction is so over complicated.
      However once taken down, largely due to the quick change spring gearbox takedown is very simple.
      Check out a few guides on gearbox servicing and your set.
      I didn't have to do it on mine as it was laser straight but I'm sure you can change the rubber at least without dismantling the entire gearbox, could be a good place to start before you delve into the gearbox.

Comment

Hi all.

I just bought an AA L85, and the seller removed the EBB parts because of piston damage, is it easy to reinstate? How do I avoid piston damage when I do re-instate?

Thanx

DB

Comment

Finally got myself an LLM and the "look" is now complete...

Comment

thought id post again as last pics were too small

Comment

Mine is done..images will be up soon :D

Comment

• ICS L85A2 - Afghanistan set up.

Here's my first photographic contribution to the forum.

Apologies I took the photos with a cheese grater, but it's all I have. I'm no photographer.

Anyway, this is the product of around 7 months of saving, the internals have been done as well as the externals, the overall cost was upwards of £1000. I hope you like it.

I have some minor fitment issues with the docter sight attaching to the wing mount, but I'm sure it's nothing a drill can't fix.

Brace yourselves people...

Anyway, starting at the front we have the awesome flashhider:

Moving back slightly, we have the LLM01 - The Element version:

Now here's the grip-pod with the pressure switch attached, RIS and some noice rail ladders:

Then we have the EMAGs, which I think really add to it:

Back end, right side:

Back end, left side:

Now for the final piece, my ACOG, docter sight and the cooliest of the cool, the docter's wing mount:

And now for some general full rifle shots:

Voila!

What do you all think?
                Last edited by Airsoft-Ed; 6 July, 2012, 12:35. Reason: To make the title more specific.

YouTube Bullet4MyEnemy
                : for thoughtful, retrospective commentary.
                AirsoftOperator.com: for airsoft news, reviews, and wahoos.

Comment

• Re: ICS L85A2 - Afghanistan set up.

Very nice bud need a list of the upgraded internals to make an accurate estimate, I would say around £400 maybe more depending on number of mags and upgrades

Comment

Bloody nice gun that. Just needs kicking around the floor a bit for that authentic issued look now

Comment

It's got a Systema high torque motor, low resistance silicone wiring. Running it off 7.4v 1450mag 20+C LiPos.

I have 6 EMAGs for it, with another 6 on the way, and 12 MAG made STANAGs. All mid caps. Though I run them with real cap + 4 for the BB drop when reloading.

Fitted with a TK hop twist barrel (M16 cut), madbull blue hop rubber, big out H nub, gearbox is shimmed perfectly.

It's running at about 345 on .20s, use it with .25s. This thing can hit 60 - 70m and still hit human sized targets.

If it's worth as little as £400 then it's a good job I'm never ever ever going to be selling it lol.

Ever.

YouTube Bullet4MyEnemy

Comment

Its a stunner ed! (it's dave from skirmish mansfield here) - Cant wait to have a go with it next time im down!
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Just replaced the trigger mech on it as it was slightly worn and the contacts kept slipping. Also got a new hop unit as I modded the last one to take a sniper cut barrel, got an AEG cut TK barrel now.

Also got a new bolt/changing handle in the post because the screw on mine is more wobbly than anything you've ever known.

Does anyone know if you can wire a mosfet into the ICS L85? I thought it might be a bit different to other guns because of the connector plug type system it has so the circuit breaks when you separate upper and lower receivers.

Also, does anyone know what piston and cylinder head upgrades this thing takes? I need 100% certainty on this.

YouTube Bullet4MyEnemy

Comment

thats lovely
                            TM SCAR-L recoil / G&G top tech 416 / TM USP compact

Comment

Heres mine, ICS L85A2 aswell, its upto the new afghan standard with the elcan spectre DR with doctor sight and DD rails with ladder covers and Element LLm01 and gripod:
                              ics l85 afghan 1.jpg

Also this is the same gun just remodeled to the older version with the UGl and ACOG(with doctor sight and wing mounts), took abit of patience and skill to get the UGL to fit but theres absolutely no wobble with it on, perfectly balanced in the middle aswell!:
                              541889_4046278873859_643263079_n.jpg

and last but not least a photo of me at F&O Anzio on saterday with the ICS l85a2 with the ugl and spectre on it, got alot of interest of all players there, probable due to me scaring the crap out of them when they saw 120 bb's flying towards them:
                              afghan.jpg

All in all the gun and accesories have set me back just under £900, the only internal upgrade i have in this is a Madbull python v2 TB barrel, it doesnt need anything else, it fires straight and true, nearly out ranging one of my mates Systema's! Definatly suggest getting one of these beast's if anyone wants any advice on putting the UGL on or even having me put it on for you then drop me a PM, ill be more than happy to help

Cheers Doom!
                              p.s STOP DROOLING!

Owner of DCS
                              (Doom custom shooters)
                              PM me for Custom work!

Comment

You've just tempted me to buy an L85A2, thanks....

Looks absolutely stunning!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

guard-sniper87 Find out more about guard-sniper87
                                Working...
                                X