L85a1/a2... SA80a1/A2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: L85a1/a2... SA80a1/A2

It'll depend of course on what make you have. If not the ARES then I honestly don't see the point of accurising it as you've already lost the battle! :D :p

Mine needed to be drilled out on a CNC Lathe to fit the outer barrel, the thread enlarged to 14mm CW x1mm and the exit diameter enlarged to 8mm to accommodate the inner barrel which rests just proud.

The guy doing it broke a few bits (on a £50,000 machine) so a Black n' Decka just ain't gonna cut it.

Comment

Mines a star, so pretty close, shame about the screwheads at the front of the receiver, but I'm doing this on a budget.

I had a feeling just from looking over the flash hider I didn't have anything that would cut it, but hoped someone might have found it surprisingly soft. Where does one find someone with a CNC lathe then? :/ I wasn't killing myself over the flash hider before but now I've seen one used, dying to get it on.

Comment

Pan- that is just awsome! may i ask how you got hold of the flash hider?
        itrader-

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=103492

Comment

They were sold on here not so long ago - a fair few of them!

Comment

They are tough to machine, however we achieved it with a 9/16 drill and turning the final diamenter with an internal long thin tool, done on a 1960 Myford Super 7, nice ands slow, no broken tools. Glad I lenghthed the barell as the Star one is too short
            I'm getting too old for this shit

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why a CNC lathe? I'm certain a normal metal Lathe would have been just as good
              "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

I don't know - it's just what they had?...

Already ordered but I doubt I'll go for that configuration because it looks toss.
                Last edited by Gaffa; 22 April, 2011, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                  I don't know - it's just what they had?...

Already ordered but I doubt I'll go for that configuration because it looks toss.
                  Better than the old SUSAT me thinks
                  I'm getting too old for this shit

Comment

check out the specter scopes

itrader-

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=103492

Comment

AND the lack of a RIS handguard (or are these only issued when they get out 'there')? I had heard that many of the lads had reverted back to the A2 guard anyway.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

cant do rifle drill with a ris on gaffa
                        They say that SOG was born from ex-Delta operators, only the best make the grade. Teflon warriors need not apply.

Comment

Yeah you're damn right, another fail.

Doh!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I would agree on the reason there is no RIS is due to having to drill, I've seen a few pictures of training in the UK pre deployment of L85s with RIS and ACOG. Admittedly the pictures are from the press, so they might have been used to look good and it might not be standard, but would be quite some lengths to go to.

Not sure if it's standard though to keep RIS and ACOG on the rifle when back in the UK, or to issue them a significant length of time before deployment. Would make sense for the purposes of training though.

Am I right in thinkign that is a docter sight above the spectre? It looks like it might have wing mounts too, just seems alittle high...

Comment

Our armoury is mixed half with ris and half without same as my last unit all Sussex have gone back so they all have iron sights on but the ris is kept and some have it some don't depending if your rifle has it fitted.
                              As for rifle drill with ris I did remembrance parade last November with ris fitted so it can be done just take the grip pod off
                              It's not about you dying for your country...
                              Its about making your enemies die for theres

Comment

My Star L85A2 with ACM RIS, Grip pod and Ares SUSAT. not sure i like the EMags

some real SA80's from work. Comparing the handguards and some close ups

appologies for the quality was taken on my iphone.

also the last post was suposed to say SUSAT not sussex damn iphone auto correct
                                It's not about you dying for your country...
                                Its about making your enemies die for theres

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

guard-sniper87 Find out more about guard-sniper87
                                Working...
                                X