X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo marui - MK.23 SOCOM. NON-BB.

I'll keep it quick and simple.

pro's:
    • fantastic packaging. Comes in a hardcase with everything neatly and snuggly held in foam padding.
    • Comes with silencer.
    • A Light aiming module included.
    • Non-blowback. This is debatable, but I think its a great advantage as all the gas is used to shoot the BB, and non is wasted on a blowback mechanism. This means it has much more power than a blowback. The socom is about 320fps using green gas at room temp.
    • Very quiet with silencer attatched!

Con's:
    • Light aiming module is..sh*te. Only looks cool.
    • Very heavy trigger pull. Even with hammer cocked its heavy. Its been measured at over 2000g!
    • I find its quite hard to aim, especially with silencer attatched.

Now for the detailed review.

When you get the gun out of the post packaging, the box is neatly inside a cardboard slip with some cheesy mk23 graphics on. Not helpful in the slightest, but its a nice touch.
    Once the slip is removed you've got the case. Now the case isn't a solid hard case. It does wobble slightly but thats not to say its flimsy and going to break. Again, a nice touch that really is usefull. It just reminds you that you've bought something special here.

I am really pleased with the packaging and presentation. You really know that TM have put some thought and effort into this.

Build quality

Now, after doing some research, I found some diapointing news. The top slide is exactly the same as the springer. Its even got the same serial number. The sights have been moulded into the slide, but you still get HK markings. Slightly disapointing this has been taken from the same mould for gun costing around £30.

Anyway, thats only half the story.The lower reciever is good. Metal safties, yes more than one. (the slide lock is main safety, and original safety only works when when hammer is cocked.) Metal hammer, metal trigger and just like real thing plastic lower reciver, so you can probably forgive the mould seems running along the gun.

The LAM unit is detachable But you have to re-attach it if you want to put it back in the box. Now, the unit isnt really useful at all. The bulb is fantastic indoors, and works surprisingly well outside in the dark. But during a normal skirmish on a saturday, it has no benefit at all. The 'laser' is simply a red LED. Now there have been rumours of people modding the unit to have a fully working laser. But i dont know how they did this. Moving on.

The hopup.

Nothing special here. It does the job, and this one takes some really fine tweeking to get right. I really don't like the fact you've got to do a full field strip to get to the adjustment wheel. But hey, once youve got it adjusted, there shouldnt be a reason to change it. And it strips down pretty quickly.

The silencer

Ohh myy. This works beautifully. Without it, the gun has a really loud clank. Almost like a small hammer hitting metal. Its loud!!

Screw on the black tube of magic, and this gun is less than half as loud, and it changed from a sharp clank, to a deep thud. Much less audialble.

I sat in a bush for 10 minutes waiting for the enemy to walk past. I had my socom out with silencer. Thud. Game over for him. Thud, another one. Thud another....And so on. They didnt have a clue where it came from, and i was only three meters away from them. Worked beautifully!

Oh, and it is full metal, and screws on really securely onto the outter barrel, no wobble or anything.

conclusion

I definatley recommend this gun to anyone looking for function over fashion, and its a must for anyone looking to go stealthy.

Presentation and Packaging- ********* 9/10
    Accessories- ******** 8/10
    Accuracy- ******* 7/10
    Range- ******* 7/10
    Build quality- ****** 6/10

Re: Tokyo marui - MK.23 SOCOM. NON-BB.

Update:

Just taken this out on my home made range, and Its getting to 32 meters using 0.2g and hop set to optimum.
    Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 26 April, 2009, 20:11. Reason: edit

Comment

Sorry to go on abit, but just got a 'Hit' at 50 meters!

This will hit a human size target at 50 meters, once you get the hop right and shoot a few rounds to get a idea. And that was with 0.2's!

If anyone's got any comments, questions, or any more info to add, please do so :D

Comment

If you want I can take a picture of the innards of my LAM to show you how I rigged up the laser in mines, and where I got the laser too.

The hard bit is frinding a holster big enough to keep the gun with the lam snuggles. Also if you are using a drop leg holster dont expet to kneel down if you have the silencer attached! Speaking of which has anyone tried it with the other brand Socom silencers from Kings arms and such? I was wondering if they were as good as the TM one.

Good review! Its probably the best NBB gun there is. Good ammo capacity and gas lasts 2 mags if you take your time with the shots. Only downside is the trigger, takes a bit of getting use to because of the long pull.
        SAVE OUR SPORT
        http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

Yeeess please! That would be awsome if you could do that. I really want to sort out the LAM unit to make it more useful.

Cheers.

Comment

I added some text to the pics to show where the soldering joints are. Its hard to see because I cant completely split my LAM now that I glued the laser in place. You could put it in any of the slots, I myself dremeled out the LED and its plastic holder but you dont need to do this. Just cut the wire going to it and it will stop working and put the laser in the other side.

I used blu-tac to hold the laser in place while I got as best a zero I could and once I was happy I drowned the sucker in super glue. Unfortunately for me the laser move a fraction as I was doing this and is now slightly too much to the left. Bugger! Luckly I managed to snag a deal on a LAM for pittance so I can have another go at it when I feel the need.

This way is has the laser wired in series with the LAM. So the laser draws the current first and makes the torch much more dim than it use to be which kinda sucks. I'm away to mod a switch in there so that I can turn the laser on and off and there for getting full use of the torch again. Although I might not bother because it was pretty useless to being with.

As for where to get the laser modules I got them from Ebay and a man called odicforce, Pack of 5 Micro Red Laser Module for Disco Lighting -UK are the ones I got. They were cheap and you get 5, just incase you break the wires off or something you can use anotherone right away. Perhaps you could put three in and make a sudo Predator tri-dot laser?

Last edited by apmaman; 27 April, 2009, 22:52.
            SAVE OUR SPORT
            http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

Hi mate, could you tell me the diameter across of the silencer? Cheers.

It's just that i got one of my many ideas going through my head haha

Comment

No problem, ive sent you some detials.

Comment

Function over fashion :O
                  Its The Most Gorgeous Pistol in the World almost ... Billy wu's deagle is Something else eh ? ... Yeh good review mate just ordered mine ahh
                  To the man who would be king, I will say only one thing

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                    Function over fashion :O
                    Its The Most Gorgeous Pistol in the World almost ... Billy wu's deagle is Something else eh ? ... Yeh good review mate just ordered mine ahh
                    It does look a little toyish, it ain't the best replica when compared to a GBB. But it does the job.

Comment

Hey just got one myself now, just curious what holster you use for it? I Have bought but yet to receive a viper modular holster which according to one site will fit it but always good to know what others reckon...
                      Old feedback :D http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7655

Current Armoury: Systema PTW M4A1 2008 MAX2 Modded by Tac, KSC Glock 17

Comment

I don't have a holster big enough!

I just stick it in one of the large pouches on my viper SAAV. Big enough for the gun, does the job, but a pain to get out when I need the thing!!

Comment

When I bought my first socom back a few years ago I actually paid a little bit extra to get the proper socom holster aswell

The holster on it's own is huge aswell lol

And to back up the silencer ......... omg it's amazing!!!

Done the same thing as owain, sat in a bunch of ferns and took out a few people and none of them knew where I was

Was even more fun dual weilding two of them both with silencers on lol

As said the "laser" on the lam is abit of let down but a while ago there was a website selling another type of lam unit with a working red laser

Comment

hiya guys, any chance of some help? i recently recieved one without a manual, and i cant workout how to take off the lam unit :S any help would be gratefully recievfe
                            PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

Twist the wheel near the hand guard

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                              Working...
                              X