sniping tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sniping tactics

That's a bull**** rule if ever there was one. If he actually said "I can't see you" then he can't shoot you. Total bs.

I always bring it back to real world stuff in this type of situation. Can't see him = can't shoot him. Simples.

The ghillie looks good mate, a little more light tan in there would be good though. Mine is too green as well, something I need to rectify.

And Mattias, bipods no. Silencers yes.
    Originally posted by Coz
    Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

It used to have much more tan in it. With summer here maybe I got excited and was a bit too keen with the greens and over blended it a bit. I'll add bit more hessian, trim some of the green out, thanks for the feedback...
      “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post
        It used to have much more tan in it. With summer here maybe I got excited and was a bit too keen with the greens and over blended it a bit. I'll add bit more hessian, trim some of the green out, thanks for the feedback...
        DO IIIT.
        Originally posted by Coz

Comment

I had some ghillie success this weekend at AirsoftGB near Colchester. My rifle was out of action, I think the piston lost it's front tooth (piston upgrade time) so I was down to my Glock. Sniping with a pistol, hmmmmm...

I knew the path the enemy teamwould take, it was a capture the bunker game. I set my ghillie up in a large area of dead folliage. Sure enough, enemy come my way, I was so well ghillied that my right elbow was stepped on by one of the enemy. Half the enemy team were within a few feet of me. That was a bit of a squeaky bum moment.

My team were falling, I didnt realise it at the time but we were down to the last three in the bunker area.

Then the heavens openned up, hale stones falling, I come out of my prone position behind the entire enemy team who are lined up ready to storm the bunker unaware I was stalking them. I take out all 15 of them from behind from within 2-3 meters in the time it took to point my Glock at each of them in turn and shout BANG 15 times. I "banged" every one of them as I was too close for site minimum 10 foot engagement range. 15 "bangs". Because they were all dead, including medics, game won.

Next time I plan to use knife + throwing ax for sniping. Rifles are over rated.

For me this weekend I learnt a snipers most powerful weapon is not his rifle, it's his ability to be where the enemy least expects him, sometimes that might mean under his boot.
          Last edited by Trouble; 5 May, 2013, 11:48. Reason: Spelling
          “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

My ghillie in action this weekend without any natural foliage added. I need to sort out a green/camo cap + have a think about my lower arm/wrist area (maybe sweat bands with some ghillie sewn in will work just to break up the straight lines). I'll be putting a gun ghilie together for the front of my rifle as well...

ghillieshooting.jpg

Comment

Just because you know roughly where a sniper shot has come from does not mean by peppering the area with fire you can get an easy kill. When sniper has a single action and minimum engagement distance the people with full auto should be aiming to get with MED and forcing the sniper to change weapon. Working as a team to flush him out is just as rewarding as being the sniper and sneaking into a good position.

Comment

Did a bit more work on my Ghillie this week and was using a bolt action on Sunday.

muddy.jpg

defendingtower2.jpg

cover2.jpg

defendingroad.jpg

It was my first time with a bolt action and more so than ever the most important thing was the ability to remain hidden and this requires attention to detail.

For example, once I have let off a shot I have been waiting to make sure the enemy is not looking in my direction before reloading. It's very tempting to snatch at the bolt to get another shot off quickly. Don't. Only smooth movements if you must reload quickly.

Get a good suppressor and make your weapon as quiet as possible. My neighbour who is a plumber + carpenter helped me make some spacers/baffles to put in between the foam in my suppressor. They are slightly cone shaped and make a noticeable difference. Combine that with green or black ammo and the enemy won't have a clue that they are being shot at (unless you hit them). I was shooting at folk this weekend from 20 meters away and they didn't hear a thing.

At one point I had picked up a couple of kills and one of my victims spotted me after taking the hit, I knew he'd be back after regen, so I moved position. He still found me though as my field craft was lacking and he had followed the trail of crushed nettles I had left. Important lesson there and hats off to the guy! It was good to move position but not clever to leave crushed vegetation behind after crawling off (maybe next time I'll leave a claymore behind)...
                Last edited by Trouble; 13 May, 2013, 09:40.

Comment

Originally posted by jiffk View Post
                  Just because you know roughly where a sniper shot has come from does not mean by peppering the area with fire you can get an easy kill. When sniper has a single action and minimum engagement distance the people with full auto should be aiming to get with MED and forcing the sniper to change weapon. Working as a team to flush him out is just as rewarding as being the sniper and sneaking into a good position.
                  Did you know standard doctrine for the military when engaged by a sniper?

"Point towards direction of likely contact, pepper the area with fire and run the hell away"

AEG's (and rifles) main advantage over snipers is RoF, take advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake_Doctor View Post
                    Did you know standard doctrine for the military when engaged by a sniper?

"Point towards direction of likely contact, pepper the area with fire and run the hell away"

AEG's (and rifles) main advantage over snipers is RoF, take advantage of it.
                    But isn't that because they can be miles away with very little chance of finding them? Flushing them out like jiffk says can be effective as forcing them to switch to a pistol gives you then advantage and it isn't hard to get in a sniper med distance.

Or should we just stand there shooting some bushes in their effective range with them being just outside ours while they pick us off?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emergencychimp View Post
                      But isn't that because they can be miles away with very little chance of finding them? Flushing them out like jiffk says can be effective as forcing them to switch to a pistol gives you then advantage and it isn't hard to get in a sniper med distance.

Or should we just stand there shooting some bushes in their effective range with them being just outside ours while they pick us off?
                      I'm not 100% sure i understand you, the bit i was reffering to in particular was:

"Just because you know roughly where a sniper shot has come from does not mean by peppering the area with fire [so] you can get an easy kill."

My point was that there is nothing wrong with that, its not an easy kill its a legit kill.

anyone who has played with me knows im an aggressive player, turn into the ambush and fight through is great, but weight of fire works pretty well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake_Doctor View Post
                        I'm not 100% sure i understand you, the bit i was reffering to in particular was:

"Just because you know roughly where a sniper shot has come from does not mean by peppering the area with fire [so] you can get an easy kill."

My point was that there is nothing wrong with that, its not an easy kill its a legit kill.

anyone who has played with me knows im an aggressive player, turn into the ambush and fight through is great, but weight of fire works pretty well too.
                        I think the point was that simply peppering the area does not guarantee a kill. I was in this position on Sunday and it was several seconds of sustained full auto from several guys before I was actually hit.

Wild spray from one guy might not actually be a kill. And in his example he was saying that the rules enforced a kill even if there was not actually a hit.... I'm fairly sure all players would rather sit out sustained "peppering" and take a legitimate hit rather than get called out because someone fired in their direction no?

Trouble. Good post mate. I liked the game report. Good fun.

Last Sunday was the first day in the year where I had my ghillie out with me. Man I've missed it.

Only used it for the final couple of games but it was excellent.

We were playing a rolling base attack mission - being a small site. The attacking team respawn at their base then the defending team have two lives before they have to fall back to the next base and so on. Fastest time wins.

The site is in a small valley with a shallow hill against a steeper embankment. I found a spot under a fallen tree on the far side with a good field of fire in the direction I expected they'd come from. Prone was very uncomfortable so I was sat upright with my feet under the tree. Covered infront by a vertical branch. I was really well hidden.

Anyway they didn't come from the right direction but slightly to the right. I realised this just as I heard a guy about 20ft away to my left, through some shrubs. I couldn't engage him and remain hidden. So I decided to sit it out.

Eventually they cleared out the team and gathered to chat. At which point I put a round in this guys back who'd walked past me by that point. He'd walked straight past me within six feet or so.
                        Not moving is why I wasn't spotted.

Anyway I fired at his back. (300fps no med :p) but it was a miss fire!!! Mag wasn't feeding. FFS. He shat himself anyway and took the hit. At which point his mates opened up and eventually got me.

They kindly waited for me to get back to my team where I set up again. This time I was much more open in an ditch to the side of a track. To my surprise the whole team walked past me again. So I got up and engaged the same guy in the back! Lol.

I then approached their sniper from the side and got him. Followed by a third and fourth enemy player.

I then ran into my base only to realise it was full of the rest of their team and I was the last man. Needless to say I got the whole 9 yards from them much to my surprise. No harm done.

Cracking day.

Andy
                        Originally posted by Coz

Comment

How much use of mil-dots as range estimation do you guys use? personally i havendt used it alot, but i just got a AO scope, and some say it can be used as a poor mans rangefinder. When focus is adjusted to its sharpest position of the target, then you can see what distance in feets. I have yet to test this, and i don´t know if it require a really good eyesight to spot it. Have any of you tried this theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
                            Ammo:
                            Use as heavy ammo as you can. There are other members on here who know the maths etc behind this but as a general rule, heavier ammo retains more energy down range.
                            Don't go mad with this but if you can try to use a decent weight.

Andy
                            There is a really good article here regarding bb weight, fps and effective range: http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/04-a-01.htm (hoping the link works)

Matt
                            Sent using ones and zeros over the ether.
                            --
                            I appear to be highly attractive to bb's; yet highly repulsive to springs and gearbox internals...

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias139 View Post
                              How much use of mil-dots as range estimation do you guys use? personally i havendt used it alot, but i just got a AO scope, and some say it can be used as a poor mans rangefinder. When focus is adjusted to its sharpest position of the target, then you can see what distance in feets. I have yet to test this, and i don´t know if it require a really good eyesight to spot it. Have any of you tried this theory?
                              Interesting idea, I'll try it this afternnon. Not sure there'll be much difference between 70 meters and 90 meters? The focus range is probably quite wide around there, scope dependent of course?

I don't tend to need to know the exact range to factor in hop for my favorite sniping/stalking tools:

DSC01671.jpg

With summer now here and bushes + trees making the engagement distances smaller in woodland environments does anyone bring out a sub 350fps spring sniper rifle as a tactical choice so there is no MER rather than a 500 FPSer?
                              Last edited by Trouble; 24 May, 2013, 12:20.

Comment

I wouldn't use the focus on your scope as an accurate measurement, I know the focus on my scope for 20 yards is much more like 40 or 50 yards, and like any other moving part it can be worked out of place, even by a little bit.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt. Macka A work offshore in the North Sea. Depending on Internet connection and how busy I am, I'm typically more active on the forums when I'm away offshore. When I'm ashore I'm generally busy with various hobbies. Find out more about Lt. Macka
                                Working...
                                X