sniping tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sniping tactics

thats a great thread purcy! i have bookmarked the page for future reference.
    Originally posted by Coz
    Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

I would post up pictures of my ghillie but its currently sitting in a mud hole at the bottom of the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
        what fps you running chris?
        was useing stock for while there, currently around 460-470 but its still nice and quiet for when you wanna be sneaky sneaky lol.

what about you?

Comment

running mine stock atm - but i want to upgrade it to about 350ish

just don't have the funds sadly.

mac
          Originally posted by Coz

Comment

See now im wondering what will yield better results in terms of touching targets as well as range. its all well and good being able to shoot 60m with 320 fps but they wont feel it.

320 fps twist set up
            or 320 fps with slow fps upgrade to 400 fps with a PSS10 6.03 tight bore

Comment

not sure really mate.

I suppose if you want to use the 320fps+ twist barrel combo you might have to bring your engagement distance down slightly. I don't know - but I am sure there are people who run that kind of set up on here who could tell you more about it.

as said i run a totally stock vsr10 - I can only really be getting 250fps out of it but i am still touching the 40-50m mark. and i know for a fact that .2's give a hell of a whack at 23m (length of garden ) so i would imagine that a .25 still has reasonable clout at longer ranges.

mac
              Last edited by Lt. Macka; 17 February, 2010, 14:16.
              Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Ok mate fair enough thanks,

thats the advantage of the 320 fps twist set up is that i have no engagement range which is why im very seriously considering it over uber upgrading.

Comment

I face the same conundrum. as you say below 350fps you don't have a min engagement distance which can come in handy. but you loose out on extreme range.
                  Originally posted by Coz

Comment

so....
                    judging by the feedback I am getting - you guys have found this thread quite helpful. I have learnt a lot myself, so I am sure if we continue to work off each other it will go well.

so - we have the kit and the ghillie and hopefully you have all managed to get out there and put it all into practice on the field.

what next?

practice

practice

practice

I know i keep banging on about it but practice really is the key! Not just to your shooting but the whole she-bang. Eventually you get to the point where you can pick up a rifle and you do everything you should without even thinking.
                    a bit serious considering my sig but I am the type of person who likes to be the best, even if it is just a game.

just bouncing around ideas really but if you want to practice your trigger control you can cock the rifle (Can i assume correctly that dry firing an airsoft springer is bad? - If so have it loaded and shoot into a pillow or summit) then fire it following the breathing techniques and trigger control i listed earlier.
                    In one of the videos i posted up the guy says to put a coin on the tip of the barrel - this shouldn't move when you pull the trigger.

as for practising field craft, that is a bit more tricky. Ideally you will need to get out into a country park or something if you want to be practising using a ghillie. swap the rifle for a camera and take pictures of the wildlife. Deer would be good to stalk.
                    I knew a bloke who told me about his ex sniper mates who used to go out into the country and try and sneak up on people. lol. one would try and touch them without them noticing.

a bit weird and I don't recommend that you do it but funny nevertheless.

what do you chaps use as target practice? I tend to shoot tin cans as I know when they are hit and they present a suitable small target without being ridiculous. (daft considering I try and find stuff like nails and pins when practising with my air rifle. lol. but that is the nature of airsoft.)

observation skills - debatable at these ranges but potentially useful for scouting at long ranges etc. from what I can gather the military use binoculars for observation. This makes a lot of sense as you don't close one eye which can cause eye fatigue. I know my eyes get tired when looking through a rifle scope for long periods.
                    A chap on an unrelated forum asked how to improve his observation skills - pretty obvious I thought - look around more! lol.

mac
                    Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Two things with me.

Regarding the field craft, actually if you live in a rural area where hunting etc is common place going out into the forest getting cammed up and trying to touch people is actually a very good idea, the people if they find out generally wont react badly in contrast if you lived near a city for example, we did this at college in the new forest we decided to try it, the people who realized and turned around laughed and walked on, obviously no guarantees here so do it at your own risk if you end up in the back of a police car aint my fault.

And the target practise
                      A good target to use is the BIRCHWOOD CASEY SHOOT-N-C 12X18 TARGET KIT
                      they "explode" with colour when you hit them for £10 not bad i will be investing in these my self.

or something more simpler you can get a pack of 5 20" shooting man shaped targets for £5

Oh and finally observation

if you can try and learn keeping two eyes open during scope work this eliminates scope fatigue and also helps with target acquisition, however this takes time to learn due to eye dominance.

Also a discussion point from me to end.

Drag bags, do you see the need for them, to carry a days gear, water bottles, ammo, water proofs etc? instead of stuffing it all in a jacket and slinging your rifle? it comes down to firepower vs mobility in the end

something to think about there.

in my opinion in this matter, a drag bag day system can work very well in your favor, just have a holster set up on your side or bum and carry a pistol with you or even have the rifle out and have the bag on your back, but then comes the argument why not just get a backpack, i guess that comes down to preference and budget.
                      Last edited by LtPurcy; 17 February, 2010, 17:03.

Comment

Oh guys just to say, if your looking at ghillies etc keep checking back at my thread

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...63#Post1634163

for example an admin chiller posted his system up which looks fantastic i asked what system it is mind you.

Comment

hmm - drag bags do indeed open an interesting debate.

I have often thought about using one but at the same time I like having hands on my weapon for targets of opportunity.

then there is also the issue of camouflaging it too.
                          mac
                          Originally posted by Coz

Comment

I would imagine that a drag bag could be useful when using improvised shooting positions. On weekend events when wanting to spend alot of time in the field I can see them being very useful however for a skirmish I cant realy see how useful they would be. Defintatly something worth looking into tho.

Curtis

Comment

Camoing a drag bag is the same case as a ghillie, get some netting and stick it on to the bag and then tie the burlap on as you wish.

I think for mil simming a drag bag would be a very good possibility due to its capacity and capability, id rather get a drag bag, d ring and cord and crawl along, *drag* etc than having to struggle off a backpack to get stuff out of.

Comment

Missed bumping.

Optics this should be a good topic point

im looking at buying a simmons 8 point 3-9x40 which outclass every entry level scope there is (for £30 or so as well bargain), now reticles, does it matter to you? the reticle this uses is a truplex (google it if your interested)
                                Does mil dot matter to you, is it only for looks?
                                i do have that feeling of .."oh its just a xhair i dont feel special looking through this"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt. Macka A work offshore in the North Sea. Depending on Internet connection and how busy I am, I'm typically more active on the forums when I'm away offshore. When I'm ashore I'm generally busy with various hobbies. Find out more about Lt. Macka
                                Working...
                                X