Lone wolf tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone wolf tactics

I'm sure all of us have found ourselves going it alone at one point or another.

I seem to find myself going lone wolf pretty regularly not only because i play in woodland but also because it reduces the chances of me becoming a bb magnet.

I've found from experience that quiet weapons and movement are vital; if you're detected you're most definitely screwed.
    some of my best 'kills' have come from creeping through the brush and picking of straggling OpFor.
    And it's definitely not the sole reserve of snipers... anyone with a sharp mind can do it.

share your tips and anecdotes here.
    Last edited by stealthgunner; 14 March, 2010, 15:50.
    sigpic

Re: Lone wolf tactics

make sure you follow newbies
    stick 100 yards on the right of them and they always attract attention so then flank the enemy
    Originally posted by parky
    If you're looking for a good sniper, I hear Vassily Zaitsev is good this time of year.

It's sniper RIFLE.

What do they teach these 19 year olds these days...

Comment

I always favour ridiculous sprinting early on too (if you're lightly equipped).

Always helps to get near them faster than they're expecting and then begin your ninjaing around.
      102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Stealth is your friend. Make use of any cover and concealment you can. Move slowly and stay low if possible.
        Try to find routes around the field that are unexpected, and go behind the enemies front line.
        If you come across the opfor, don't take the shot unless you are absolutely sure you can achieve a hit. You don't want to become pinned down.
        Last edited by amandla36; 14 March, 2010, 16:12.

Comment

I absoluetly love going lone wolf. Either just me, or me and a mate, IMO the way to get the best out of your skirmish day.

The key I think is patience. I play by slowly moving forward, stopping, crouching, watching for movement/watching the game take shape, then deciding where to go next and repeat. Upon seeing a target, stop, drop back and move round his side, making sure you can see him and where he is looking before you make each move,

Obviously the tactic is far easier to employ in denser cover, which I find plently of at Gunman. Tinted glasses help as well.

Comment

when im at AWA, theres a swampy area which is honking to go through, some places it can be knee deep in the rivery bit. im not fussed about getting wet so usually go through there to flank the enemy as its hardly defended. best way is move very slowly making little noise, keep stopping and listening and scanning then move on again. most times if i see individuals or groups as im flanking but they havnt seen me i wont engage, i wait til im in better poitions to escape if need be

Comment

i think self restraint is probably the hardest skill to master when goin it alone. even now i still make poor decisions in this respect. it's sooo tempting when you can see an easy target.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah i know what you mean there. me and my mate once were behind the other team crawling through a shallow ditch towards the objective which was the flag on the other side of the woods. the rest of our team were way behind us having a firefight. we had a few blokes walk past us sometimes within feet with out seeing us. so easy to shoot them if we wanted but we looked at the bigger picture, 2 of us on our own. not knowing whos around, if they heard us shooting we would have been hammered.

Comment

I have to admit, going round the most random flank with a friend is a barrel of laughs. I went round with my mate and he had to cover me while I had a quick wee.

Bloody brilliant.
                  Originally posted by B.E.N.
                  Originally posted by TheLazymarksman
                  Tactical bed covers...
                  Double or single?

Comment

needing to urinate whilst in a game is a nightmare.
                    sigpic

Comment

I like to find a large shrub or bush and get well hidden in front of what I think will be the enemy's line of approach. Quick, violent ambush and then a trip back to the dead zone, hopefully taking a good few of them with me.

At the last weekender, I spent nearly an hour waiting for them to pass me, but they had got stalled by my team holding some high ground above the track I was to the side of. I got a couple of pistol kills as people tried to rush past the guys on the hill but, in the end, I got lit up by one of my own team who saw me in the bushes but couldn't see my tags.

The other risk is finding some great cover, then they bugger-off the other way!
                      sigpic

Comment

lone wolf can be great in theory - problem is that sometimes everyone takes this attitude, and you result in a disbanded and disorganised team, not working together. lone wolf can be fun, but teamwork is always much better in my opinion.

for my first few games, at sites where i wasn't too familiar with people, i would go lone wolf and assume that other groups of friends had good team plans. i did well at first, sneaking all the way around the enemy to engage them - but my team weren't always able to take the enemy's full attention face on, and were divided and conquered.

if you're sure that your team have a good and coordinated plan of attack, and you're not all that needed, sneaking off can be brilliant. i'd tell my team though - as all too often i've been team killed. i'm usually really quick off the mark, and can sprint up past the enemy's firing line before they've even set up - but then i might get mistaken for the enemy.

in cqb, i don't usually go it alone. i take a team mate and work in pairs. someone needs to get your back.

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/jonintheshell

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/airsoftwargamefilms

Comment

i can imagine cqb lone wolfing would be suicide. i see what you mean about getting divided, usually i like to stay within view of my team but skirt round one side.

you really have to keep your eyes open as usually someone on the opposing team has the same idea; or worse a small unit has the same idea. then you really are in trouble.
                          sigpic

Comment

one thing that gets annoying is when you have flanked the enemy and are right behind them, and your own team shoots you cos all they see is a bloke on the other teams side moving about. always one to keep an eye out for.

Comment

I know it's a bit off topic but what kind of gun is good for the lone wolf role?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

stealthgunner been airsofting since '06, been to 2-3 gz weekenders Find out more about stealthgunner
                              Working...
                              X