Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade motor not working

Hi guys,

I recently bought a brand new SHS high speed motor to put in my tokyo marui MP5K, however when i put the new motor in my gun it will not fire; the gun just makes a sort of dull clicking sound which sounds like it is trying to push the gears around but cannot. I know the motor is working because i have tried using it out of the gun to wear it in and i know the gun is working because i have tried putting my old motor in the gun and it works fine. It seems to me that the motor is not in the right place in relation to the (bevel?) gear as in too far in or too far out. I have tried adjusting the allen key at the base of the pistol grip to adjust the torque but even on either extremes it will not work. The motors seem the same size to me and the only difference i can see/find is that the SHS has a longer spring (external one), the grooves on the pinion gear seem a tiny bit longer and a different shape, there is a bit more of a gap between the pinion gear and the thicker duller metal (hard to explain but it shows more of the thin silver bit before you get to the pinion gear coming from the back of the motor) and the SHS appears to have a hole for an allen key on the pinion gear below the grooves which looks like it may be for adjusting the length of the pinion gear from the motor.

Does anyone have any experience with motors doing this or know what the problem is or if you cannot understand my description please say and i will put up some pictures to better show you what i mean?

Thanks Nick
    For sale:

-Splitting M4
    -MP5 Parts
    -MP7a1
    -M9 Magazine

Re: upgrade motor not working

Switch the springs over, when you first drop the motor in make sure that it springs back a little when you push it down so you know there will be adjustment.
    Start with the allen grub screw at the bottom loosened fully, then with a low voltage (or nearly flat) battery pack test it, gradually tightening it until it the gear noise is minimal.
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

SHS High Speed might not have the oomph to turn the spring over? Could be you got a lemon motor - several people seem to swear that the cheap motors have gone down the tubes these days in terms of QC. The longer spring might be an issue, another is that the pinion might also be situated differently on the motor (further up the shaft). The grub screw on the pinion secures the pinion to the shaft (its a D-type shaft, far more sensible than press fit in my opinion). Dont suppose you could get a photo of the two motors side by side?

Edit - or just do what Sniperjesus said :P
      Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

sorry i forgot to mention that i have already tried changing the springs around but to no avail and i have tried the screw at different lengths. Is it still worth trying with a lower volatge battery?
        For sale:

-Splitting M4
        -MP5 Parts
        -MP7a1
        -M9 Magazine

Comment

Bit of an obvious one...you have connected the positive and negatives the right way round to the motor havent you? If not you could be trying to drive the motor the wrong way and the anti-reversal latch will be stopping the motor turning the gears... Might sound obvious but I had a gun repaired in the past by a reputable place and it came back with the wiring reversed on the motor.........

Comment

If i change it over and it does mean the motor is going backwards would this damage it at all or does the anti reversal latch prevent damage being done?
            For sale:

-Splitting M4
            -MP5 Parts
            -MP7a1
            -M9 Magazine

Comment

Try a bigger battery if you have one, your current battery may not be powerful enough, out if interest what battery are you currently using?

Linky here>> http://airsofttutorials.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaz_r33_gtr View Post
                Bit of an obvious one...you have connected the positive and negatives the right way round to the motor havent you? If not you could be trying to drive the motor the wrong way and the anti-reversal latch will be stopping the motor turning the gears... Might sound obvious but I had a gun repaired in the past by a reputable place and it came back with the wiring reversed on the motor.........
                first instinct would be as above, the clicking would be the motor trying to cycle yourgearbox in reverse and the anti-reversal latch stopping it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crude Skinny B View Post
                  Try a bigger battery if you have one, your current battery may not be powerful enough, out if interest what battery are you currently using?
                  I am using a 9.6v battery which i charged up when it did not work to begin with.
                  For sale:

-Splitting M4
                  -MP5 Parts
                  -MP7a1
                  -M9 Magazine

Comment

Ok so i tried connecting the battery in the other way round but it made the same sound as before. I am pretty sure i am putting it in the right way round though because it has the positive and negative signs on it and i always check when i connect them up. The sound it makes with the motor either way round is the same as when you have a battery connected to your gun which does not have enough charge left in it to cycle the gun.
                    For sale:

-Splitting M4
                    -MP5 Parts
                    -MP7a1
                    -M9 Magazine

Comment

Re: Upgrade motor not working

Sounds like the motor is just a little too high. Try this. Put the SHS motor back into the gun but don't put the grip motor plate back on. With one hand on the grip, finger on the trigger fire and the other holding the motor loosely in place, pull the trigger. The motor will spin at the first as it's not engaging, stop firing and slowly push the motor in. Now try the trigger again - keep doing this, each time push the motor a little way in, only by millimetres though. Be careful not to touch the contacts, maybe use the head of screwdriver or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpugster View Post
                        Sounds like the motor is just a little too high. Try this. Put the SHS motor back into the gun but don't put the grip motor plate back on. With one hand on the grip, finger on the trigger fire and the other holding the motor loosely in place, pull the trigger. The motor will spin at the first as it's not engaging, stop firing and slowly push the motor in. Now try the trigger again - keep doing this, each time push the motor a little way in, only by millimetres though. Be careful not to touch the contacts, maybe use the head of screwdriver or something.
                        Ok but wont this damage it?
                        For sale:

-Splitting M4
                        -MP5 Parts
                        -MP7a1
                        -M9 Magazine

Comment

There's always a chance of stripping a gear, I've never damaged anything using this method, don't obviously keep the trigger pressed down too long. Maybe a better way would be to push the motor all the way in and then slowly take the tension off.

Comment

ok i just gave that a go and it wont work at any distance although it does make louder or quieter sounds at different distances. Any other ideas guys? Could this be a dud motor which needs sending back?
                            For sale:

-Splitting M4
                            -MP5 Parts
                            -MP7a1
                            -M9 Magazine

Comment

I've just realised that MP5K is a version 3 right? I've only even done what I've outlined above with a V2 gearbox however does sound to me like the motor is a dud or your battery doesn't have enough voltage, this can sometimes happen if a cell goes, but on the other hand your other motor worked fine. I don't really know that much about motors. If you've got another / any other battery try that if you can.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

wilko129 Find out more about wilko129
                              Working...
                              X