Upgrade motor not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrade motor not working

ok i will try that if not i will try and get a refund as it does not seem to work
    For sale:

-Splitting M4
    -MP5 Parts
    -MP7a1
    -M9 Magazine

Comment

looks like im going to have to send it back. thanks for the help guys
      For sale:

-Splitting M4
      -MP5 Parts
      -MP7a1
      -M9 Magazine

Comment

Ok so im in talks with the seller of this and he reckons it is not working because you have to re-shim the gearbox to make the gun work with this motor. Could this be true even if this has been shimmed properly so that it works flawlessly with two other motors i have and i have tried the motor at different heights or distances away from the GB?

Thanks Guys
        For sale:

-Splitting M4
        -MP5 Parts
        -MP7a1
        -M9 Magazine

Comment

Could be that the bevel and spur arent meshing correctly, but to be honest that sounds like a load of balls*

*and not the type that come in a range of weights in different sized packets.
          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

ok thanks thats what i was thinking although i am not that experienced with the very techy side to airsoft.
            For sale:

-Splitting M4
            -MP5 Parts
            -MP7a1
            -M9 Magazine

Comment

Changing the motor (and doing it properly) will almost always involve re-shimming the gearbox and/or adjusting the motor's mesh with the first spur gear.

First thing to do is be sure that the motor is spinning the correct way. Get the stock motor, prove it works (install it), remove it from the gearbox and power it up to see the direction of rotation. Avoid ambiguity and get a marker pen and write on the motor (or gearbox) which direction it needs to spin. Run your tests in single-shot so that the piston is fully forward when you finish your tests. The piston is hardest to move at its rearmost point, the moment before it disengages from the half-gear and springs forward.

Now get the new motor and power it up to verify rotation direction. Once you have the rotation direction correct (switch the wires if not) write on the motor which way round the wires need to go. I've used a dab of my wife's red nail varnish on the positive terminal in the past and it works well because it tends not to come off easily. This way your further experiments don't occur with the motor miswired.

With the motor known to be spinning the right way verify your original findings, install the motor in the gearbox and try spinning it. Try to assess how much of the gearbox is moving before it stalls.

Assuming you can reproduce your problem then you need to figure out the root cause. The motor will stall when the torque it can generate is lower than the friction/strength of the parts it's trying to move. This could be as a result of one of the following problems:

1) The motor isn't generating enough torque

1a) If it's a high-speed motor you may find that it doesn't actually, on spec, have enough torque to turn your gearbox. Find internet evidence of people using the same motor in the same gearbox if you can. Otherwise grab the pinion on the end of the motor (maybe use some large pliers, grab it very hard indeed), grab the motor with the other hand and get a friend to briefly pulse the motor. See if it takes about the same force to stall both motors.

1b) Check your wiring. The thinner the wiring the worse the voltage drop across the wiring and high-speed motors generally take more current meaning a higher voltage drop. Most gun manufactures have very thin wiring (because it's cheap) meaning that a lot of the battery's energy is lost in heat. Bad contacts at terminals (especially spade terminals and battery connectors) can have a very detrimental effect on the performance of the motor.

1c) Find another battery, just to discount any possibility of a bad battery.

2) The friction in the gear box is too high.

2a) Check that the piston is all the way forward when you're trying to run the motor.

2b) See if you can rotate the spur gear in the bottom of the gearbox by hand, you should be able to get some movement on it before it starts biting on the piston and then you start fighting the main spring. Even fighting the spring you should be able to rotate the spur gear using a screwdriver as a lever.

2c) I suspect that the pinion on the new motor is missized or too close to your spur gear, and what's happening is that the motor cannot rotate. If the motor pinion is the right size it should mesh nicely with the other motor pinion (motors side-by-side, pinions meshing large teeth to large teeth, small teeth to small teeth). If you can't mesh them nicely then the gear pitch is wrong and it's the wrong motor.
              Paypal does not protect you as a seller or buyer. Don't believe the hype.

UK Virtual Assistant services: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/

Comment

had the same deal with one of my guns ,a high speed motor just could not get it started,high speed motors may not have the torque to turn a 350 fps or even 320 fps gearbox on standard ratio gears.sounds daft but high torque motors are best for a high speed set up and high speed motors for high torque gear sets.torque motors gets things started but lack the very high revs,high speed motor means not much oomph to get things started,you can't really get an electric motor to do both really well,in my experience unless you are looking at a dmr build with high torque gears then a high torque motor is always best .

Comment

You can get motors that claim to do both, and they are normally north of 100 quid :P

The whole reason behind High torque/speed coupling is that you need the same referred torque at the spring, and it can be acheived one of two ways :P

Comment

ok thanks guys i will probs sell this and get the SHS high torque instead does anyone have the specs of the SHS high speed and high torque?
                    For sale:

-Splitting M4
                    -MP5 Parts
                    -MP7a1
                    -M9 Magazine

Comment

SHS high torques are (provided you dont get a lemon) very good motors. Never had an SHS High Speed so cant do a comparison, sorry!

If a high torque cant turn your gears then youve got a problem :P

Comment

Not sure if it's been said but try the old motor back in or new one out of the gun to rule out gearbox , instantly tells you if it's motor or gun

Comment

ye i have already done that
                          For sale:

-Splitting M4
                          -MP5 Parts
                          -MP7a1
                          -M9 Magazine

Comment

and the results where ?

Comment

Rich he said in his first post that he tried the old motor and it worked fine!! haha

Comment

Originally posted by richardy View Post
                                and the results where ?
                                ye as he said i had tried the old motor and it works perfectly
                                For sale:

-Splitting M4
                                -MP5 Parts
                                -MP7a1
                                -M9 Magazine

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

wilko129 Find out more about wilko129
                                Working...
                                X