Changing pistol grip on G&G T4-18, how is it done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pistol grip on G&G T4-18, how is it done

Ok, next query on my new G&G T4-18. So I want to fit an HK 416 style pistol grip to the T4-18 I have just bought but after taking off the base plate for the stock grip fitted it looks like this would be impossible as the wires from the gearbox are soldered to the motor contacts instead of being a push fit like on my Combat Machine CM16 Raider. Does this men the stock pistol grip can't be removed from the T4-18? I figure even if you pull the motor out you won't be able to remove the grip as you won't be able to pass the wires out of the grip.

Re: Changing pistol grip on G&G T4-18, how is it done

Did you buy it second hand? My 4-18 has standard connectors that are removable from the motor. I switched out my grip and replaced it with the one from my Combat Machine, only took a couple of minutes.

You may need to de-solder the wires in order to remove the motor in your case, but it seems odd to solder them on to motor in situ in the first place, especially on an M4 derivative.

Comment

Yeah bought second hand from another member on here. I'll try to get a picture but the guy who sold it to me didn't mention anything about the motor being soldered, just that the gearbox was replaced during its life with him. I'll try to get a picture up.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the picture, definitely been soldered. Not sure if that is a stock motor in there or not either as can't actually remove it without de-soldering it like you say and soldering is not something I have any experience of. The gun works and its not like the grips is uncomfortable but ?I wanted to keep faithful to the original style of the real steels 416. I suppose I should be thankful the gun functions fine, well only dry fired so far but seems fine.

Untitled by babyalien_25, on Flickr

Comment

It's nothing major - just get someone that's capable of basic soldering to remove it.

Comment

That does not look like a g&g motor as they are usually red or yellow bases in them dependant on version . Looks like an shs motor ..
          The super high torque strong are red and the hightorque are yellow and red on g&g motors

Comment

Simply unsolder the wires
            Thats not an SHS. As all shs use dull red bases.
            Id love to k ow what that motor is:
            -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
            -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Shs high torque have blue bases

Comment

Basic soldering abilities are all that's needed. Some people solder the wires to the motor as it cuts out the need for connectors, therefore making the flow of energy faster

Then again, if it's the VFC pistol grip (The actual HK style one) you might have problems as the motor enters at a different angle.
                IF YOU HAVE ANY L7A2 GPMG PARTS FOR SALE PLEASE MESSAGE ME

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyyy View Post
                  Basic soldering abilities are all that's needed. Some people solder the wires to the motor as it cuts out the need for connectors, therefore making the flow of energy faster

Then again, if it's the VFC pistol grip (The actual HK style one) you might have problems as the motor enters at a different angle.
                  Ah, I see. So there is a benefit at least. Its just having never done any soldering ever, the thought of getting a soldering iron and melting solder on electrical contacts seems a little daunting. As for the HK pistol grip, does this have a reputation of causing issues on the T4-18? The CM16 Raider I also have has one fitted as standard and ran fine so is it a case that when you start swapping out motors you will have issues if you then change the grip also?

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthkiller View Post
                    Shs high torque have blue bases
                    The two i have here dont...

Comment

As for the motor type, after looking around on the net the closest match I could find was an SRC High Torque Motor. The body of the motor on mine is quite reflective like this:

High torque by babyalien_25, on Flickr

SHS does indeed appear to have a red top and a blue main body like below so definately not the same as mine:

I will admit though, the construction of the top of the motor does look similar to the SHS one as that does not appear to have the push fit contacts at all:

SHS-MOTOR-HT-NV-L_2_mark by babyalien_25, on Flickr

Comment

G&G high torque motors are now blue. Mine certainly is, and you will find them as such in the 2013 G&G catalogue PDF from their web site.

The HK grip you are referring to isn't actually HK, its Tango Down style. They were equipped on the early runs of the real HK416 and a lot of combat machines are equipped with replicas.

To provide some context, HK now produces their own grip that has a different grip angle. As airsoft M4s were originally designed some years ago, and the V2 gearbox has largely remained unchanged since then, it means that manufacturers like VFC have to be a bit creative to accommodate the non standard grip with the gearbox design.

TM Recoil HK416 uses a grip that is shaped like the new HK but is cleverly angled so as to look close to the real steel, but its not quite the same in order to use the same gearbox as their recoil M4s.

Comment

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the difference in the grips. Yes, the grip I was referring to would be the earlier Tango Down style 416 grip, not the VFC one. So in theory then, if the motor is unsoldered the grips should swap over without any issues?

Having looked at the motor, you could be right about it being a newer style G&G one though the gun is a Gen2 Top Tech so not sure if they were fitting these to the Gen2 or not?

Comment

My gun is a Gen 2 also. My motor is chrome finished, with a blue end cap but oddly no sticker. My gun was bought new so that's how it came from the factory.

If you had normal motor connectors it would take about 5 mins to swap it over. As I said earlier, my 4-18 has the G&G Tango Down grip from a Combat Machine, it was the first component I changed.

Comment

actually, i have one of those fat grips from a GR15 if thats what you mean, it is currently green, but a bit of power spray will take that off easy.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                              Working...
                              X