Quiet P90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet P90

I think i remember reading a thread a while ago about making a p90 very quiet, but cant seem to find it?

Anyone got any tips on making a P90 as quiet as possible, its already well shimmed and has a small silencer

Originally posted by Metalbody
    pulling one off certainly feels good

Re: Quiet P90

Well, they are pretty quiet anyway with a silencer, dont know why but they work especially well on p90's. Type in on google "holy grail of building a dmr" and theres a section on there about making your aeg quiet.

Comment

Silencers don't really affect the noise of an AEG that much since most of the noise occurs at the back of the gun around the gearbox and motor. Quite a lot of the noise will be caused by the cylinder and piton head slamming together and this can be quietened by adding a peice of foam (Sorbo is usually 1st choice) to the cylinder head. Ultimate make a silent piston head though I read a review saying it doesn't make much difference.

Comment

Is there a way of padding the body or something like you can do with bolt actions?

Originally posted by Metalbody
        pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

Ady the easiest way is to sell it and get a MANS gun

I know thats not relavent but you understand..... team mate!
          Originally posted by -=256=-Swerve

while it still exists, it's secrets time! I secretly enjoy wearing silk lingerie. ok who's next?

Comment

there ARE guides online and other forums about silencing the echos in the p90

involving using sound-proofing inside the body but making sure there is enough room also so the gearbox and mechanics dont get caught up or catch fire to the padding

also inside the gearbox itself
            using sorbathane pads on the piston head and cylinder head, this also aids to relieve stress and wear on the gearbox from the whacking force of the returning piston

then making as good airseal as possible between gearbox, barrel and hop unit

all these will result in a much quiter AEG

Comment

Usually quetening any aeg is achieved by doing the following:

Apply a solid shim job. That includes motor height. <- most important step
              Add a (protected) sorbo pad to the cylinder head, use this step to sort out AOE as well.
              Use bushings rather than bearings, they tend to be a bit quieter, I find.
              Seal up any holes in the gearbox. This will help lower the sound coming from the gearbox slightly.
              Surround the gearbox in some form of sound dampening foam or similar, for which there is a fair bit of room in the p90.
              Anything that is left over is fairly negligible, but you can add a functional silencer to reduce the distinctive barrel pop into more of a 'pft'.

Remember, because the gearbox is right under your face, your gun will always sound louder to you and quieter to others, as your body naturally forms some of the dampening.

I didn't touch upon the gear types here as I have still not seen any decent info about which type comes out quieter, meaning that it may as well be negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                I didn't touch upon the gear types here as I have still not seen any decent info about which type comes out quieter, meaning that it may as well be negligible.
                I thought helical gears were quieter.

Comment

So did I but I have seen as many comments for that as I have against. Plus if your shimming is even slightly out, it becomes very noisy.

Comment

If you read my post, and look at "the holy grail of building a dmr" you will find a whole section on how to make your aeg quieter, and i have found, particularly on p90's, that the silencer changes the "SLAP" to more of a "THUD" so add a little to silencing. You can fill the handgrip part with expanding foam to make it a little quieter but im not sure how effective it is.

Comment

ive got two p90s, one without the sound deadening in the body and another one with, the one with is far quieter, impressivley so, but make sure that you chose a quiet motor like a tm eg1000 motor, sorbo mod, silencer, helical gears, decent shimming job and a low voltage battery like an 8.4
                      PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

Can anyone recomend what is safe to pad out around the gearbox? Some thing that won't catch fire?
                        sigpic
                        Armoury:Tm mp5/Ics m16/Spartac AK74U/Spartac AK pistol/m56c/Hfc m190/Tm m9 tactical master/Armourer works HX11/Dynatex BFG

Comment

I couldn't pack the sides of the gearbox without fear of somethign being fulled but managed to cram the pack end where there is a hole in the plastic bit that holds the gearbox with "packing foam" that you can find in shot boxes that hold guns in.

Helical gears are very quiet when set up right but they are an utter bitch to get right!

Decent silencer, quality bb's and a quality tightbore, sorbo cylinder head and thats about it really par the usual.

Comment

The sound deafening foam tiles used in sound studios work very well, mine was done by someone else and was split down the middle

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk
                            PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

dynamats the stuff you should be looking for can be picked up on ebay for a modest price, probably better in this case for your gun than expanding foam as ive heard stories of it cracking bodies if too much is put in, l96 for example, and how the body of the p90 is can't imagine youd get a too even finish.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

private parts Find out more about private parts
                              Working...
                              X