Collapse

TM Hi Capa 5.1 Slide and barrel issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because I had a different view to your own, doesn't mean I'm not listening.

I think I may have simply named the wrong spring. The spring I am talking about is the spring that sits underneath the outer barrel, and compresses as the slide is pulled back. I'm not sure about you pistol, as it is a different make the intervals may work differently. But on mine, this spring pushes a metal bar against the inner barrel, which then pushes up against the outer barrel. This then keeps the two barrels in place during shooting.

Comment

Re: TM Hi Capa 5.1 Slide and barrel issues

That will be the Recoil spring and recoil rod. Is the outer barrel you but in Tapered or looks like a 1911 barrel plus are firing the pistol with the silencer on? To be honest you should of bought the Tanio Koba One Touch Silencer Adapter would of been alot less hassle. Also sounds like youve done this wrong or you dont know what your talking about as the recoil rod shouldnt be push agaisnt anything as the guide plug stops that.

Comment

Are you sure? It's still set up the same as when I bought the pistol, and it had no problems then.

Don't have a picture of it with me but I'll try and get one sometime so we are all on the same page? I'm a little confused now and it sounds like I may be missing a part or something.

The barrel is rather similar to the 911 barrel but I dont have one so I'm only lookin on google images. It's the same measurements as the previous plastic barrel that was in there before.

It no longer jams, just doesn't slide so well when pointing down, and my shop technician suggested that the spring was too weak, as it was designed to move a plastic barrel rather than a metal one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You only need the strong recoil spring for metal slides as i use metal barrels in my 1911s with standard springs and works perfectly. Its a cone sort of shape and have you relubed the slide as well? To help in this picture (top left box ) is everything there just ignoring the hopup and innerbarrerl

Comment

A relube of the slide may be in order. The spring I am talking about is part number H51-34 in that picture. Is that the recoil spring? The end of the guide rod is what pushes against the fin on the underside of the inner barrel in mine.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how does that tanio koba adapter work? Where does it actually fit into the gun?

Comment

This adapter allows you to use silencers on your gas blow back pistol wherever you have a tanoi koba metal outer barrel with a thread installed. These will also fit the 5.1 and 4.3 Hi Capa plastic outer barrels (they are designed to cut their own thread) and also the KSC USP. They will fit some other pistols, but you may need to modifie the guns outer barrel
                When relubing the slide just use a little bit of teflon gease yeah thats the recoil spring. You sure its pushing the inner barrel the brass barrel ?

Comment

Only half of that quote is showing up for me but it says for guns with threaded barrels near the start? The barrel that came originally had no thread that's why I got this barrel. Sorry if it says that later on only the first few sentences are showing.

Ok will try giving it a little bit of living as well then. There's a apron serving today in the post so I will see if that improves things as well and get back with an update

Comment

The TK one touch adapter cuts it's own threads into the standard outer barrel.

The reason why you don't have a silky smooth slide pull is because the ejection port part of the outer barrel is colliding with the slide. This happens often. A load of teflon grease will help this, but it would be better to file it down.

Comment

It does? I was guessing it simply slid into the outer barrel, and locked in there, but the picture i found it had a curved end. Unfortunately i cant find any in the UK (not much of a search most sites are blocked at work) but might be interested in this if i can get one cheap. would make the pistol more reliable in the winter too rather than the metal barrel.

Comment

Okay... I guess you're basing your theory that the big spring moves the outer barrel, on what happens when the slide is off the gun. So I can see why you think it acts on it. But if you put the inner barrel on the gun without the slide, and the outer barrel over it. Then you can put the slide catch in place, and move the outer barrel in the way it would move if a shot were being fired, you'll notice it doesn't go anywhere near the recoil spring. The only way the 2 parts interact, is that the slide initially grabs the outer barrel and pulls it along for about 5mm of travel, before the outer barrel drops down and out of the way of the slide. It then picks it up on the way back forward as well. If you understand this, then you can understand which parts of the outer barrel fin need filing, and you'll understand the angle of filing is very important as well. Getting this done right, without removing too much material, will allow the whole thing to move much smoother. When I filed down the 1911 I have here (same principals in design) to install a threaded outer barrel, I removed a tiny amount of material to sharpen the edge of the fin. The barrel drops down a bit sooner, and the gun works flawlessly. I've tried pointing it in every different direction, racking it super slowly and firing it as well, and not had a single problem. This is with the stock recoil spring, and on a metal slide.

If you increase the strength of the recoil spring, you're going to be picking up the barrel with a bit more umph on the return. This could cause it to force it's way over the top of the outer barrel, which is no real problem, but will cause some wear. Or it could cause it to catch the outer barrel as it's sat up, and just jam a bit harder against it. This is always more likely to happen when you're pointing the gun downwards, for reasons that should be obvious if you've done what was mentioned above.

So to go with the slightly increased reliability of a bigger spring, you're also going to loose gas efficiency. On the other hand, you could fix the root problem, instead of trying to overcome it with force. You'll spare your gas efficiency, and save yourself money. I fully advise figuring out what is going on for yourself, then acting upon it, in a way you've figured out will fix it.
                        sigpic
                        Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                        I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

I see what you mean now that ive taken the slide off and put the barrel in as it would normally go in. to be honest im fairly sure just lubing it up would work well. its not catching, or grinding on anything. it just doesnt travel as smoothly as it used to before i tore it all down. so i will see if lube does anything to help.

Comment

That's what the barrel i was working on now looks like. Notive I've filed the right hand close edge to a 45 degree angle, with slightly more space than the stock version had. I was very careful to do this, so that the barrel slipped at the same point the original did. It would seem when you get it, it wants to slip alot later.
                            I also filed the outside of the tang, because I felt it was a tight fit in the space it was going in. This might have been causing the barrel to move too slowly for the slide. Ease of movement means less resistence in the blowback stroke, and in the return. But if your outer barrel moved smoothly when it was in palce (out of the slide) then I don't think you'd need to do this.
                            sigpic

Comment

hmmm. this has turned into a small nightmare! all for a silencer to be added on after haha.

i also noticed when i had just the barrels on the gun and no slide, that the outer barrel could slide forward and tilt fairly easily. im not sure, but this may be the root of the problem, the barrel tilting when the slide moves around it.

Comment

The barrel is meant to tilt. It's useually quite free to do so. But it's the point at which it tilts upwards again, which can cause issues. Obviously it's meant to ride up to plug the ejection port when the slide returns to battery, but if it rides up before that happens it'll cause a jam as the slide moves forward. Or I guess, if it's too free to move, because the angle is too shallow on the part I filed above, then gravity might be able to make it jam.

This is where the WA system works so well. That hopefully you'll be able to understand a bit better now. The spring keeps the outer barrel set downwards tilted. So that under any circumstance, the outer barrel will always be picked up the same by the slide. I had a look at doing this on a TM, but the modification is more than I can do with my tools. And it turned out I don't need to on this one anyway.
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                                Working...
                                X