GBBR reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBBR reliability

I'm on the hunt for a back up rifle. I already run an A&K sr25 which is ace for woodland but I want something that I can use as a back up but will mainly be used for CQB as the SR25 is fookin massive and not very CQB practical.

So my question is how reliable are GBBR's? Will it last if I use at the odd CQB site and a back up at woodland if required? My TM m9 has been amazing and never let me down but are rifle's that much different? Obviously won't be a TM rifle. Ha ha.
    Please do not advertise on the forum

Re: GBBR reliability

Anybody?!?

Comment

mate i have a gbbr its a brill little gun never let me down and it is the best size for cqb here is a pic http://www.zeroin.co.uk/album.php?al...pictureid=9239
      if you need more info on it please feel free to pm me
      hope that helped
      gibo

Comment

With regular maintenance I suspect one of the more modern ones would be fine. I'd be checking whether your local CQB site/s would let you use it though. Plenty of sites still have GBBR bans in place.
        Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
        Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Plenty of sites ban GBBRs? Like where?

In my opinion, the WE guns are very usable. I've gone completely Gas with a WE M4 CQB. It does need more attention than your standard AEG but with the brass tube system all that can realistically go wrong is that the o-ring on the nozzle dries up. 1 squirt of silicon spray and you're back in business.

I tend to tinker all the time anyway but just a 10min clean and re-lube after a game day is all you need (if that!). I find mine to be very dependable and I think that GBBRs in general get a bad rap based on older tech that used to be used and wasn't very reliable.

Also, one of the things I love is that if you want to make your gun better it's generally "mod this part like this" as opposed to the AEG way of "drop this new part in". Much cheaper :-p

Comment

Well the one that I'm interested in is the Agm m4a1 with the Ris so I know it's later than the original one but I don't know know how "new" the tech is. Thanks for your answers guys.

Comment

My advice about the AGM ones... Expect the internals to break quickly and have plenty of reinforced internal parts to replace the broken ones. That has been the experience of many people... But do a google search on it because I'm sure someone will have written a guide as to what parts need replacing.

If you want something that works out of the box then the WE platform pretty much does that - they certainly come closest if not. If you're prepared to put a lot of time and a bit of money on parts and fixing then you should be alright with the AGM.

That's from my own personal experience, 1st and 2nd hand, from when I decided what gun to buy (remember it's my primary now) and from my experience with it now that I have it. :-)

Comment

Well if that's true google really hasn't done me any favours. I googled Agm m4 GBB problems and it came up with squat hence why I asked, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I should continue saving then. Hmmmm. Appreciate all the info guys. When you say internals I'm guessing you mean sears and such forth. I've have a look on a electronic Asian hobby site and parts seem cheap enough but obviously I'd want to spend more time on the field with it than I would repairing it.

Comment

I had an AGM M4 (I must admit it was about 12 months ago) and it blew the nozzle out of the bolt after 5 shots....yes 5 shots.
                  I did everything right did all my research used the right gas (they arent or at least wernt green capable out of the box) everything.
                  That is the quickest failiure i have ever had, and almost ruined the GBB experience for me.

On the other side of the market you have WE, all Green/propane capable straight out of the box, are great value for money, and in my case anyway are pretty bomb proof.
                  RA-tech are always coming out with compatible upgrade parts for them.
                  And WE seem to be leading the way in new and previously unmade GBBRs, or if they have been made are making them better.
                  One downside i find is that the run of the mill parts can be hard to come by.

Save up and buy a WE IMO

Comment

A few of us had AGMs and as Tisane has said they like to blow themselves apart very often .
                    Also because they are WA based the replacement parts tend to be quite expensive.

If it had been my first GBB rifle it would have been my last . Luckily I already owned a couple of WE GBBRs and as a result all my primaries are now WE GBB

Comment

Well I defiantly don't want my back up to fail or what's the point in having one. I'll save for a WE I was really hoping the AGM's weren't gonna be that bad but I think I may have to steer clear. Thanks to all that replied, your advice has been golden and will save me a bit of money.

Comment

The 'open bolt' range is going to be directly available soon as its available from overseas already. It's cheaper than the £350 closed bolt m series rifles that are around too.

Only things that go are the fire delay pins, as they are made out of cast metal, ra tech make cnc'd ones as well as triggers, firing pins and hammers too. These are the only real weak points. Mate of mine uses his as a primary and its fine. Just be prepared to tinker, do up screws as they work themselves apart through shock etc.

My g36 is immense! And a mate of mine has only just git me to change the firing pin in his after like 15,000 rounds!

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Ive had my Western Arms M4 for over a month now and I have realized that, just like most gbbrs, youre going to have to upgrade some parts in order for it to be "skirmishable". Ive been upgrading mine slowly and its looking really fine except I have a small problem I'm currently working on.(Which is my gas chamber being stupid -_-) But if you do buy one. You going to have to upgrade or repair something within a couple of weeks to almost a year no doubt.

Comment

My advice would be to buy a used one with all the upgrades done already. Although GBBr parts for the WE range are cheap (£18 for a 6.02 barrel and £14 for a complete hop unit), finding some parts in stock can be a nightmare.

For example... I paid £250 for a WE M4a1 (closed bolt) with 7 mags, 1 of which was a leaker. I've paid £60 for a load of parts (mag seals, tightbore barrel, hop unit, mag parts, single point sling loop and several other parts) which should make it reliable and useable every day.

The only thing to really look out for on the WE M4 range, is the charging handle. It's cheap pot metal and will eventually break. It's £8 for a new WE one or £15 to £20 for a real steel part, but finding them in stock is a pain.

I'm slowly making the jump to using my GBBR as a primary, but until I iron out all the niggles, it's staying as a backyard plinker. (The standard hop unit isn't great, with no hop, it sends 0.3g's skyward...)
                            The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Charging handles are only broken by people who cock the gun like the incredible hulk, mate of mine's is fine after like 7-8 months.

Only thing thats gone is the firing delay pin. The hop yes is generally terrible, but this can be sorted quite easily if you take it apart and replace the shims/ball bearing in the hop unit for something a bit smaller so it doesnt pertrude into the barrel as much.

If it was me i would get the open blt version for the fantastic pistol hop system, just get a new hop bucking by RA Tech (like $11) as the stock ones are pony!

Replace parts when they break. dot pull the trigger like the hulk either, as it can crack/snap but again, parts are cheap!

My G36 is stock aside from tb barrel and hop, mates m4 is stock aside from delay pin, and mates g36 as above has only just been fixed after silly ammounts of rounds! And they are all our primary weapons, used every skirmish
                              Dont let the fact they do break get to you, its fine and they are so easy to work on! Id rather do 10 gas guns comparred to 1 gearbox!

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Rubberducky Find out more about Rubberducky
                              Working...
                              X