Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing two-tone green paint

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
    Is it that hard to buy paint thinner, wet&dry and a heat gun? Or are you all under 18 and not allowed to buy spirits in fear of you sniffing them?

It's paint for god sakes, hardly rocket science!
    A heat gun on plastic sounds like a mess or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
      Is it that hard to buy paint thinner, wet&dry and a heat gun? Or are you all under 18 and not allowed to buy spirits in fear of you sniffing them?

It's paint for god sakes, hardly rocket science!
      Rocket science is actually rather easy, especially when compared to fields like biology, psychology and animal behaviour.

Physics is a walk in the park.

However, I concur with your method of paint removal, I wouldn't even consider the heat gun necessary, just makes it an easier job.
      "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
      Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

Originally posted by JCheeseright View Post
        I used fairy power spray on the green paint that zero one two toned my SCAR with and it came off pretty easily, just took a bit of scrubbing with a soft brush.
        When did you buy your gun? I'm wondering if they have changed the way the spray it?

I'm going to get some fairy power spray tonight and give that a go. If not I will replace the parts or spray over it

Comment

august last year, admittedly the spray was on metal parts only which made it easier but it still didn't take much.

Comment

I find stripping the paint on metal takes one go, but takes two gose on plastic spray it with power spray leave it for 30mins then scrub it with a toothbrush what ever dont come of in first sitting then repeat till its done.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveKarma View Post
              A heat gun on plastic sounds like a mess or am I missing something?
              Heat gun for the ris, surely that is metal.
              Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express Pro
              King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
              https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

On there rare occassions that i've had to cover two toning, i've just flatted it back with fine wet and dry, and sprayed over it, first with primer, then top coat.
                "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Hi Livekarma,

Having stripped the paint from a few guns in the past, i'd say it's not worth it.

To do a good job, you'd need to disassemble the gun, use a decent thinner and meticulously remove all of the previous colour.

Thinner can have an adverse reaction on some plastics so be careful if you take this option.

I've found that the better option is to use quality materials when painting, if you follow these steps, you should get a good result.

- Disassemble the gun and use masking tape to cover any parts that you don't want to paint, if you can hang the parts up, this will make the job a lot quicker
                  - Start with a decent white primer/basecoat and apply evenly
                  - Wait for primer to dry for at least 24 hours

- Apply the first coat of paint using Krylon camo spray in the colour of your choice (Halfords Camo is supposed to be good too)
                  - Wait around 30 minutes for the first layer to dry, inspect your work and fill in any missed sections
                  - Wait a further 30 minutes and inspect again, if any more patches, repeat the above
                  - One all of the parts are covered, wait at least an hour (I'd recommend waiting 24 hours) then apply a second coat

- Once the second coat has been applied, you can start using your gun. At this stage,the paint should hold for a few months, however, you will eventually start to see chips coming off and the original colour will show through. To avoid this, I would highly recommend using a clear coat or flat varnish. Again, Krylon clear-coat is a safe bet and you'll avoid the two-toned colour showing through.

If you don't fancy painting your gun, there is always hydro-dipping of course!

Hope this helps mate, feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

LiveKarma Find out more about LiveKarma
                  Working...
                  X