PTW M16A1 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PTW M16A1 build

Bit of an update now it's finally finished.

I was never happy with the pistol grip so I machined myself one out of a real grip. £17 well spent! I also cold blued the barrel. While not 100% accurate it looks awesome and infinitely better than the flakey paint it replaced.

I'll try to get some decent pics but I don't get to play much and I don't have a garden so indoor iPhone pics only unfortunately

Comment

Re: PTW M16A1 build

I decided to find a birdcage flash hider, as the three-prong one is a bit overused (The last six or seven pages of the VN airsoft M16 pic thread doesn't have a single birdcage). A counterclockwise one was hard to find but I eventually found a Crusader one, but with it attached the barrel seemed a bit long somehow.

Turns out FCC's advertised 20" barrel is something like 20.75". All my other FCC items were junk but I thought it'd be hard for them to mess up a barrel... Good work, lads. Shouldn't have taken their word for the length when I started the project.

It didn't look too bad with the three-prong but for some reason it looked odd with the birdcage, so I took my Systema M16A2 barrel which didn't fit in the lathe originally and adapted the lathe so it'd fit. I turned it down to pencil profile and blued it. This meant I could use my nice G&P 14mm+ birdcage and able to mount a bayonet in future if necessary :D

I think this thing's finished... and with the parts left over I can make another A1 upper if I felt the need to!

Pics:

The new barrel at the top, old FCC one at the bottom. The G&P pencil handguard caps don't fit the real handguards nicely, so I had to use a real cap but with the larger hole. Originally this was bulked up crudely with some tape to stop it wobbling, but the new barrel has a nice shelf to sit the cap on behind the sight post. I've also since added a nice split washer behind the flash hider.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Opossum Hi. I like possums. Find out more about Opossum
      Working...
      X