WE SCAR Bullpup CONVERSION O_o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WE SCAR Bullpup CONVERSION O_o

Kudos to you mate, very impressive work indeed.

Comment

Now working on the MK2 - Will be built around a CNC aluminium core and polymer body. CNC cut triggers will be interchangeable and available in a variety of flavours. All hush hush for the moment but a few months away from a limited run.

Comment

MK2 PDW.jpg
        Need some feedback - Turning this into a bullpup means less rail space up front. I'm thinking this needs to work for people who don't have extended rails.

Overall there will be two versions:

PDW - As shown above - Integrated forward grip for people who don't have extended rails
        DMR - As shown previously, No integrated grip but smaller form factor allows space for angled foregrip, bipod, grippod etc. (still working on design)

Aside from that I'm just working on the PDW version right now - see two options in the image. Realistically the front iron sight would be removed for both options as it sits too low.

1 Built in grip angles back to the upper receiver - no need for any additional parts. This will be cheaper as there are less parts and increases compatibility with other versions of the SCAR.
        2 Custom rail extension made especially to line through with the grip below. Slight increase in length allows for the extended lip in front of the grip which any P90 user will be familiar with. Extended rail adds complexity, therefore more expense, also difficult to make fixing method compatible with the various models of SCARs out there.

So let me know what you think - Option 1 or 2 - any other feedback would also be appreciated.

Comment

Slight improvement with the addition of some sexy sex bolts - yes that's actually what they're known as :D

Comment

Hi,

I really like the look of the PDW Version, actually makes me want to buy a scar GBB. I like the sound of version 2, looks a lot more complete and ergonomic, but as you say, might reduce compatibility.

It seems very similar to the PDR-C (one of my favorite rifles)

Personally also, I think (if you look at other bullpup models like the PDR and kinda the tavor) I like the way the stock is completely blocked if you see what I mean, whereas yours slightly dips in.

Just some constructive criticism on an AMAZING piece of work! Well done!

Comment

Hey man,

Just wanted to give you a heads up. SRU is currently in development of a WE Scar bullpup conversion kit which they will be selling for $120 usd.
              sru scar 2.jpgsru scar 3.jpgsru scar.jpg

I think what you're doing is an amazing idea and something that I would surely buy if only the New Zealand dollar wasn't so weak against the pound.

Obviously the big differentiater between your proposed product and theirs is the addition of the hpa/aeg mag device in the magwell. I don't know whether you plan to make this a kit or if it's just a personal project, but I just thought I should let you know before you sink too much in R&D

Anyway, I think the stuff you do is really inspirational, keep doing what you're doing bro, this project especially is amazing!
              Last edited by Ringleader; 22 December, 2015, 06:50.

Comment

Hmm. Good find Ringleader! So Blair; if you plan to mass sell this then I would recommend you choose either:

You make it a general conversion kit for most Scars. You could even make it fit AEG's! Then you do what you have almost done already and sell it in a laser cut material like acrylic.

OR you could do what SRU has done and design it for one particular brand (like the WE). This would enable you to make a very very contoured and low profile kit as you don't have to worry about compatibility.

And about competition with SRU; to sell your product more you could either try and make it a lot nicer than SRU's or a lot cheaper and more like a woodcut/acrylic kit.

Honestly what I would do is take the specific scar approach and try and make it nicer than SRU's. If this were me making the kit I would prototype like you have done with wood, work out the design from that, 3d print parts that interconnect and then finally get it as a mill-able file. I would therefore make it out of very lightweight aluminium with lots of porting and swiss cheesing.

To be honest I would focus on the PDW version as when you are sniping (in most cases) there is no real need for a shorter barrel whereas in CQB you can pretty much half the rifle size of anyone using a scar, which people would flock to as it is so important in CQB!

Anyway, you of course do it whatever way you think is best; I am actually a concept artist so if you need any help on design whatsoever then just ask; for example, I just did this in 10 minutes:bullpup.jpg

Comment

I was aware of their prototype and the firing version seems functional enough. The key differences like you say will be the integration with the HPA system as well as AEG compatibility.
                  We are also looking at a slightly more comfortable and adjustable butt pad and cheek riser.
                  Another key selling point would be that our version will be compatible with the existing pistol grip as well as aftermarket versions offered by Magpul for example.

The difference in the trigger design and linking mechanism should give a smoother pull and will allow for a variety of different interchangeable triggers.
                  Lastly, the option of a non reciprocating charging handle should be popular with people who want ambidextrous use without loosing their teeth :P

Its good that SRU have invested the time in their product - it suggests there is a market out there for it. Would it have been better if they could have brought out there prototype a little later? sure :P - but that won't stop development at our end.

The kit will be constructed of a single flat aluminium core with cast polymer parts making up the rest. We are aiming at a slightly more robust product that could in theory even be used with real steel versions of the SCAR.

As far as styling goes - we will be keeping it very simple - 3D model is soon to follow

Comment

So here's the first rough draft. Took slightly longer than I expected as the outer shell had to be altered to take the internal mechanism into consideration. Some work still needed on the rail extension to make room for the gas block but for the most part this is it.

The butt has been modeled to reduce the overall width as much as possible. I can recess the selector or I can include an extended link pin with the kit so that it can sit on the surface of the receiver (as shown) - again reducing the visual impact of the kit.

The magwell has been flared for some tacticool operator quick mag changes. The kit has to be wider at this point anyway to accommodate the magwell on the stock receiver.

So still some work needing done - also need to work on the RIS riser and integrating that into the kit without it looking like an add on.

Comment

UPDATE - Looking good - the body is nearly there - some fine meshes still need smoothing. Maybe a week away from having all the elements laser sintered!

Once I've established everything fits, it will be time to have the aluminium core produced, and the molds made for the polymer body. No cheapo 3D printed parts here!

The plan is to launch the Indiegogo Campaign by April. This will give me time to put together the essentials and get a Video of the prototype functioning in all its glory - HPA Powered of course.
                      The kit will be compatible with the upcoming HPA AirDrive along with other modifications and enhancements - full details upon release.

After a rigorous test phase any adjustments needed will be made before release of the production version.

Once I have a working model of the final version its time to move onto PRODUCTION.

The Indiegogo Campaign will be set up so that it will be possible to earn the Bullpup Conversion Kit as one of the top rewards - ensuring early supporters are among the first to get their hands on the product. Other rewards for smaller contributions will also be made available - details to follow.

So - let me know what you guys think - please feel free to share anywhere and everywhere.

Comment

Yours looks MUCH better imo, almost like a prototype PDR.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I assume you could also do one for thr SCAR H?

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

Originally posted by StargateP90 View Post
                          Yours looks MUCH better imo, almost like a prototype PDR.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I assume you could also do one for thr SCAR H?

aaaactually - you're the first person to say so. Cheers!

Once I have the 3D model finished I can put together a proper presentation image with all the features. For a quick recap:

Versions
                          • PDW - this was taken to production stage first as I thought it would be the most popular
                          • DMR - the first working prototype was based on a DMR design - The whole project started to because I wanted to run a 650mm barrel without increasing the overall length - this still needs development to bring it up to the same level.

Features
                          • CNC Aluminium Core - Joins directly to existing fixing points - NON DESTRUCTIVE MOD
                          • Polymer Body - 3D printing is for prototyping only - all final parts to be molded.
                          • Integrated RIS extension/ rail riser to match adjusted sight picture and to better blend with the lines on the SCAR.
                          • Compatibility with Aftermarket Pistol Grips - if it fits the standard scar it will fit the kit - this portion is modelled to match that portion of the SCAR receiver.
                          • CNC Trigger - different flavours have been developed and will be made available as a drop in part or an option at purchase
                          • Recoil Pad - My DMR version (steel CNC bolt) has been tested up to 560fps - recoil obviously still a lot less than real steel but for a whole day of shooting this is a must for comfort.
                          • Low Profile Cheek Pad - no one wants to hug RIS

Compatbility:
                          • Both WE SCAR GBBR models (16 & 17) will be supported and of course the SCAR-H PR
                          • Future compatibility for AEG versions of the SCAR - Will require gearbox redesign to allow motor cage to be rotated to a better position. There wont be a pistol grip to house it after all.

Optional Upgrades - some already nearing final stages of development
                          • CNC Hop Unit geared towards R-hop
                          • Integral HPA AirDrive enabling use of TM recoil magazines - In development. (at machining stage for first prototype) Once complete this should preserve bolt stop function when the mag runs dry. (bullpup kit already takes routing of airline into consideration - will be routed out through grip)
                          • CNC Bolt & Nozzle Chamber - to replace the terrible RATech steel parts - (nozzle chamber bore is rougher than a badgers arse)
                          • Non-Reciprocating Charging Handle Already in existence for real steel (see GG&G) This will be a must for ambidextrous users who like their teeth.
                          • Sorbothane Buffer lets reduce some of that mechanical *clank* the bolt produces
                          • Enhanced Recoil Spring Even the Angry gun kit doesn't stand up to the heavy bolt.

Sure I'm forgetting things but if there's something obvious anyone thinks I'm missing - feel free to share.

Comment

On the charging handle you can just swap them side to side!

Otherwise excellent work, I probably would buy the H kit and another SCAR H for that matter!

Comment

Originally posted by StargateP90 View Post
                              On the charging handle you can just swap them side to side!

Otherwise excellent work, I probably would buy the H kit and another SCAR H for that matter!

No swapping on the fly though! how badly would it suck to remember you can't switch sides on the go at the exact moment you lose your front teeth

Comment

The PDW looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in all its glory! You are a 3D modeling genius mate. Keep it up dude.

Sent from my X11 using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Polarblair Find out more about Polarblair
                                Working...
                                X