Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WE SCAR Bullpup CONVERSION O_o

Originally posted by Strewthirwin View Post
    The PDW looks great! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in all its glory! You are a 3D modeling genius mate. Keep it up dude.

Sent from my X11 using Tapatalk
    Cheers! Need to get enough people excited about this. It's a race to get this produced so that I can launch a proper Indiegogo campaign so that people can see exactly what they're getting.

Of course in direct competition with the SRU version. What I really need to do is get a US contact that is willing to send me some dimensions so that I can verify fit for real steel scars. Very much doubt the SRU version could handle the recoil

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

UPDATE - just a quick look at some custom grips - the reason for the 'K' will be explained in due course - ooooh secrets!

Comment

ALL MESHES ARE WATERTIGHT!

In process of Shapeways upload - so far so good.

Comment

SHAPEWAYS UPDATE - Their inbuilt model check is happy with the part - model is watertight but the test pieces won't be cheap. Just ONE side of the outer shell is going to set me back £130. So there's a good chance printing the full parts list for the prototype will be around £400

Comment

Ooooo thats a fair hit! But its a brilliant product with masses of potential being made in a low volume. So really it aint that bad!!

I think as soon as you do a SCAR H one ill be buying one :D

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

Still need to get hold of a SCAR H to check dimensions - Send me yours for a couple of weeks and I'll get it measured up :D

Comment

Haha if I still had it I would!

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

Originally posted by Polarblair View Post
                  SHAPEWAYS UPDATE - Their inbuilt model check is happy with the part - model is watertight but the test pieces won't be cheap. Just ONE side of the outer shell is going to set me back £130. So there's a good chance printing the full parts list for the prototype will be around £400
                  Would it not work out cheaper in the long run to get your own printer and not use shapeways? £130 for a side seems a tad hyperinflated.
                  Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

Originally posted by GiantKiwi View Post
                    Would it not work out cheaper in the long run to get your own printer and not use shapeways? £130 for a side seems a tad hyperinflated.
                    On the face of it yes, in the long run I would also probably get enough use out of it to buy a decent one. Professional grade FDM printers with heated chambers and auto calibration go for around £3,000. Anything cheaper is a hobby grade machine and not worth the effort.

The problem is that the plastics used for FDM shrink substantially while cooling. Heated beds and chambers help during the print by slowing the process to mitigate warping but parts will still shrink.

Now it gets more complicated as shrinkage doesn't happen in a very uniform and predictable way so you could scale the print to compensate but this won't be reliable enough for long interlocking parts. Small mechanical parts like gears yes, but it wouldn't be suitable for larger pieces (total length is around 450mm)

So next step up SLS printing (same process as shapeways) which uses a laser to fuse powder. Domestic machines are becoming available but cheapest ones are still £10-15k. (Still 10% the cost of the cheapest commercial grade machines capable of printing this size)

But not to despair! Have recently gained access to a CNC mill which I can use for a few quid for a day hire. CNC milled molds will also offer greater accuracy than both SLS and FDM printing (if done properly :P )

Keep an eye out - about to post build update and get some feedback. Pretty much at the final design with all parts finished.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Polarblair; 12 February, 2016, 16:28.

Comment

BUILD UPDATE!

I went through a few different options for the integrated rail riser and it all looked extremely clunky. The other issue is that I don't really want to disrupt the line of the top rail on the SCAR. Another issues is flexibility - not everyone will be using the same optics in the same place. For the AEG version (when it comes) people will most likely want to run a battery box up front. In this case you would want it to sit low and out of the way (or side mount it I suppose)

So here it is - All working parts have been finalised, as well as assembly and fixing methods. The only thing missing from the images are the body bolts.

The Rail Extension has been altered so that people interested in running suppressors can do so without barrel extensions. I specifically ensured compatibility with the NOVESKE Firepig
                      (The angled cutout is required to provide enough clearance)

I prefer to let people know I'm coming - The noise this thing produces running on HPA is more than enough to stop people peeking out of doorways :D

The design for the Rail Extension has not been locked down - I'm open to suggestions. I'm planning on making the small and medium versions shown as well as a mid length version

I'm still considering moving the selector and safety up front - we shall see.

TO THE ZEROIN COMMUNITY!

After looking at this so long it can get easy to miss the obvious things

soooo.....Please Share!

The more feedback I get the better this could be.

Comment

This thing is looking sick man.

For me I think ambi support is really important. I'm a lefty but Like to transition shoulders a lot.

Do you know what you're looking at in the way of price currently?

Comment

Originally posted by blake.t.pope View Post
                          This thing is looking sick man.

For me I think ambi support is really important. I'm a lefty but Like to transition shoulders a lot.

Do you know what you're looking at in the way of price currently?
                          Cheers!
                          Not yet - the only really expensive bit will be making the various molds required. Once this is done reproducing parts should be relatively cheap. To make it more affordable I think I'll have to produce two versions of some of the parts - low cost polymer and high end CNC aluminium.
                          I'm now in the process of putting this together and will keep everyone up to date as I work my way through producing all the molds required.

Comment

SLIGHT SETBACK

But for good reason! - I'm looking into 3 Round Burst with a separate safety - soooo Semi, 3 Round Burst and Full Auto should be possible :D - Also can confirm I'm looking at moving the selector up front

Comment

So you're changing the trigger mech? What materials are you gonna use for the trigger mechanism parts?

I think this is starting to look more and more like a whole gun. Personally I just want the body kit plus maybe the hpa block if you're still doing that

Comment

Thats Really cool! Though I have always felt 3rd burst was a little too much and 2rd burst was more useable

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Polarblair Find out more about Polarblair
                                Working...
                                X