This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sniper Upgrades (based on a VSR) and Further Guide

I hope these can help you in some way...

Firing Tips:

Steadiness:
    When firing a rifle, even a movement of a few millimeters at shorter distances (100’) can mean the difference between a hit and a miss. So this being said, keeping your rifle steady is imperative.

I’ve heard and read many people say there are certain ways to hold a rifle, and if it is possible I suggest anyone to take the more fundamental approach (read some marksmen field books), but I think because these are based on the use of real steal rifles over long distances, they are not 100% relevant to the airsoft sniper. For example, they don’t take into account the fact that these are much shorter distances, where if you moved as much as you could at a longer distance your position would easily be exposed. Also, because of what I’ve just said, you can’t always lye down or move into the correct position, whether it be because the space you’re in is too small to move around in with a long rifle or because there is tall grass for a few meters in front of you (I’m sure we could all think of a few more reasons).

Because of the above, there are a few things to check for whatever position you may be in (standing, lying down, crouching);
    -The rifle is supported to the best of your ability. If need be and you have no rest for your rifle, you could use your sling very tightly (a common technique when standing), so the rifle’s movement is restricted as mush as possible and really pushing hard into your shoulder. Also if standing, a tree is a great thing to rest against, it will cut out a lot of left to right movement, and some up and down as friction from the tree has some hold on the rifle.
    -Your torso shouldn’t be too restricted. For example, if your trousers are pulled tightly because your knee is raised to rest on. When you breath in and out, it could potentially move your leg as you inhale/exhale, which means your rifle is moving as well. Even though you wont be inhaling/exhaling during the shot, any kind of extra movement will make it harder for you to get to the point where you are ready for the shot.
    -You should be on balance, do not try and lean over/out to take a shot, unless it’s very close, you’d be incredibly lucky to get a tag. If you are off balance, it means you’re muscles are working to try and get you back to being on balance, this means you’ll be moving (at least a little) constantly.
    -If you can, make something to rest on if you don’t have a bipod or sand bag. A sturdy “Y” shaped stick is an amazing find, better than a bipod in my opinion.
    -The more points of contact with the rifle the better, although, two hands on the rifle isn’t always better. For example, given the opportunity to use your forearm as a rest (along something, or between two points) is much better than trying to support the rifle with your free hand. There is no joint in the middle of your forearm so there is no movement to be found, but your hand and wrist are full of joints, allowing for a lot of movement to potentially take place when using your free hand.

Trigger Pull:
    I find that a lot of newer rifle users often tend to snatch the trigger in excitement. Snatching the trigger will move the rifle. You should not anticipate the shot (“click”) at all. Imagine that there will be no click, imagine that there won’t even be a shot. You are just keeping your aim on target, as steady as possible, and at the same time trying to pull the trigger as smoothly as possible from the start to the finish of it’s range of movement. In this, the shot will just, happen (as it were).

Bolt Cycling:
    The bolt is essentially levering your cylinder into the side of the receiver if used incorrectly. Many tend to hold the bolt on the end, which if you think about it, is pulling the cylinder head side of the cylinder to the right of the rifle. This not only shortens the life for some internals, but it also makes for a slower and rough cycle.

The correct technique is simply to hold as much of the bolt as you can while placing your thumb on the back of the cylinder/bolt head. This means you're pulling the cylinder out of the receiver in a much straighter fashion, thus increasing speed & smoothness, and also decreasing slightly the strength needed to pull the bolt back.

Breathing techniques:
    Your breathing hopefully should be as calm as possible, transferring as little movement as possible to the rifle. When prepared to take the shot, exhale half of your capacity and hold. This should give you anywhere between a 3-10 seconds (possibly more) oxygen supply to muscles, in which you are steady enough to take the shot. If you miss the 3-10 seconds shot window, then you’ll need to wait around 30 seconds before repeating to the same efficiency.

Breathing exercise:
    It’s very possible for an airsoft sniper to experience heavy breathing if he has just run to the point he has just set up at (not advised unless you 100% know it’s clear, or are escaping). Heavy breathing means more movement. A simple exercise I have incorporated from my main sport of basketball, is the “1-15 seconds”; Simply inhale, count 1 second, and then exhale. Do this again, but count 2 seconds instead. Do the same all the way to 15 seconds, and you should find your breathing is much calmer, and you are now getting a better supply of oxygen to working muscles to help with steadiness. You can repeat the whole exercise if needed, and also, you can repeat a number, if you don’t feel you are ready to inhale for longer.

(Written by myself "mj23lj")

Left To Be Added:

-Gear & Suitable Load Out (if someone could step in with this one I would be very grateful)

To anyone who has noticed a fault or would like to add something to this then please don’t hesitate to let me know via PM.

I hope this guide helps and thanks for looking
    Trader Feedback:
    New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
    Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Comment

I'm hardly expert, but...

Gear & Loadout.

General Equipment
      One of the most common things I hear about loadouts for sniping is "travel light" and whilst this rings true, don't think you have to take to the field under equipped. Take as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. The most important thing is that you can carry it comfortably, securely and quietly.

You'll also need to bear in mind that you will need to keep any items you take out handy. You're likely to be laying prone for a good deal of time, so thing on your front/waist are going to be carefully positioned to avoid discomfort, damage and inaccesibility.

Your housemates/girlfriends/wives are probably going to think you are insane, but it's a good idea to kit up in the comfort of your own home and then lay on your front. Simulate a firing position and a crawl. Use this to work out the best position to place items around your person. The last thing you want post game is sore ribs from your mags digging in.

Another thing to test out at home is how secure your kit is stowed. It's really no fun dropping kit in the woods, and it's easy to do if you are laying down in the undergrowth. Try loading up your belt or vest ad giving it a good shake whilst upside down... If stuff falls out, find out why and try and stow it more securely.

Whilst you are shaking your kit around, take note of the racket it makes. It will make that same racket as you jog or move about... That's a surefire way to give away your position. Unfortunately, BBs are one of the loudest and most annoying things to carry about like this, so speedloaders, hi-caps and bottles filled will them, will rattle something terrible. Your only real option is to avoid using them. I put all my BBs to be carried with me in Tesco zippable food bags. The zip is nice and chunky, easy to use with gloves and in a hurry, and with a little squeezing, you can practically vacuum pack the BBs inside. Nice and quiet. I keep my speedloader empty and fill it as required. With 3x 30 round mags, that usually in dead time or between games.

Ghillie Suits
      It's true that Ghillie suits are not essential to act as a sniper, but, they are part of the fun.

Simple concealment vests that can be vegged up as required or something with a small amount of synthetic vegetation that you add to are available... It really is a massive subject and it's up to you what yo choose. Remember though, a ghillie doesn't make you invulnerable, people WILL see you if you allow them to.

Another thing to remember is that under a ghillie suit, it's unlikely that you'll feel or even hear much of a hit... For the sake of the game, you should probably give your opponents the benefit of the doubt.

Other Clothing
      Bearing in mind you are likely to be spending a lot of time on the ground and in the nettles, you are going to want something decent and thick to protect you from thorns, stings and allergic reactions... Maybe even ants. Go for long sleeves and tuck your trousers into your socks.

I got a tick on me during a game and I can tell you, it wasn't much fun trying to get rid of it, it only got on my thigh, but I can imagine how much less fun it would be if it made it a little further north.

I'll add to this shortly...

Comment

hear i just read this in AI snipers should not use gilllys...... they should have coms not have a scope but just use iron sights hit and run. act like a scout you know. what do you snipers think to that?

oh and does any of you snipers own the ares cheytac m200? i heard that was unbelievably accurate
        Pure Plastic Pwnage

Comment

Originally posted by sheard View Post
          hear i just read this in AI snipers should not use gilllys...... they should have coms not have a scope but just use iron sights hit and run. act like a scout you know. what do you snipers think to that?
          Fine, if you are playing purely for kills, but them you might as well play paintball. Half the fun in airsoft is looking the part, or at least playing with the toys you want to play with.

You can "snipe" with a pistol, it's about getting into position and firing unexpectedly.

I've not read the AI article, but I expect it's a backlash against loads of people spending heaps on scoped rifles and ghillie suits and calling out "I'm a sniper". I expect they are saying "back to basics".

Comment

B.E.N. Thanks for doing that bud, that's a great guide that follows the same trend...

Originally posted by sheard View Post

oh and does any of you snipers own the ares cheytac m200? i heard that was unbelievably accurate
            Definitely not sure about that one, I don't really agree with it...

-Ghillie suits aren't imperative but are very effective if done/used properly.

-I think iron sites are faster, but definitely not as accurate. As well, I'd say using iron sites would only be to get shots off faster, which to me would make you more of a Designated Marksmen.

-The Ares Cheytac (from what I've read on US forums) is a definite wall piece, i.e. you don't get bang for buck.

Not really sure I trust AI after that, seems like a load of B.S. to me.

mj23lj
            Trader Feedback:

Comment

I've just very successfully modded an L96 tripod and fitted it to my BAR... Pretty easy job..

Comment

Picture?
                Trader Feedback:

Comment

any one got any laylax bits going cheap

Comment

What you're are looking for is the 'Wanted' section of the 'Classifieds' bud...
                    Trader Feedback:

Comment

thanks just thot more vsr people would look hear

Comment

Originally posted by stuart-mackay View Post
                        thanks just thot more vsr people would look hear
                        Dude, no offence, but run it through a spell checker, more people would be inclined to reply.

Comment

You probly answered these questions in your guide but I really did not want to read ALLLLLLLLL of it, so I'm just gonna ask it. :D

What are the main upgrades to make the VSR quieter?
                          What are the main upgrades to make the VSR easier to cock?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden View Post
                            You probly answered these questions in your guide but I really did not want to read ALLLLLLLLL of it, so I'm just gonna ask it. :D

It really helps to read the whole thing, but.

Quieter: ( most of these configurations will result in reduced FPS to some degree.)
                            • Barrel Spacers (LOTS). no loss of power and greater accuracy
                            • Dampened Cylinder head (or short stroke head if you are really serious about silence). marginal loss of power
                            • Leaving the air-brake long. marginally less power, greater accuracy
                            • Filling the hollow stock with expanding foam. not much either way,
                            • Using a less powerful spring.

Easier to cock:
                            • Teflon coated cylinder
                            • Less powerful spring

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden View Post

Are you serious?! I spend hours writing a guide for new comers, so that they can do it themselves to a degree, but you can't be bothered to read something that would take less than 10 minutes. That's not only lazy, but I find it very rude. You're lucky B.E.N. was nice enough to answer you...

B.E.N. - You definitely should ignore things like this in the future. Why should you spend your time highlighting something for him just because he can't be bothered.

mj23lj
                              Trader Feedback:

Comment

Roger that!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mj23lj Find out more about mj23lj
                                Working...
                                X