Propane and other gases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane and other gases

I've seen the other thread on 'red gas' but thought I'd start a new one as I am quite intrigued about the use of propane and other non-airsoft-specific gases instead of 'green gas' in GBB handguns.

I have a few queries that I wondered if you could help me with...

* What form do you buy propane in, is it those hunking great Calor gas-type cylinders that you use for portable gas heaters, etc?
    * Is there a special valve-type that these propane adapters only fit to?
    * What about butane or any other form of domestic/commercial gas, if you can get it into your gun will it work and not damage anything (I'm aware of having to manually lube your gun more)?

Damn, electric guns are definitely easier to get to grips with and are much cheaper to run!

Re: Propane and other gases

OK:

most people buy propane in the form of small 1 lb Coleman cylinders which Coleman make for their portable heaters and stoves. However, the airsoft propane adaptors will fit any propane cylinder which has a CGA600 connector on top. Personally I'm using GoSystem propane cylinders in my GBBs at the moment as I couldn't find Coleman cylinders anywhere (I think they're made in batches).

The Coleman cylinders often come in packs of two and are usually the cheapest option, however any 'DIY' type propane is likely to be cheaper than airsoft green gas - and safer to boot, on account of the thick steel tank with safety relief valve vs. the flimsier can airsoft gases come in (with no safety valve).

As you may be aware, it was discovered a few years ago that most airsoft green gas is propane, the reason it's used is it provides the right pressure for airsoft guns to work (vapour pressure is about 130 psi at 20 C). If you can find another gas that can be stored as a liquid under pressure, gives the right pressure and isn't harmful to the gun, humans or the environment - go ahead. Propane is the most easily available though. Butane, for example, has a vapour pressure of something like 50 psi at 20 C, and as such will barely cycle my TM Desert Eagle.

Yeah there are a few nuances to get your head around but trust me, GBBs are way more awesome! I've just recently gone all-gas (Deagle and MP7) and I'm having a great time! Futhermore, I actually prefer working on GBBs over AEGs because they are entirely mechanical devices and in most cases can be stripped down very quickly for maintenace/repairs, as opposed to an AEG with its (usually) screwed together construction and complex, non field strippable gearbox which can be a pain to get running right. I find it much easier getting my head round the workings of a GBB than an AEG.

Spend a little time learning, you'll love 'em!

Comment

Thanks for your input, Snowman.

Oh I am actually quite aware of the differences between gas vs electric handguns and stuff. I did actually start a topic here not so long ago where I compared the pros and cons of GBB vs EBB guns.

Yeah I love the fact that most GBB handguns can be field stripped just like the real things. I am no stranger to the inner workings as I have a KWA Beretta M93R GBB and love to strip it! I am just curious about other gases as canned airsoft gas can be pretty expensive depending on how much you use your gun.

Thanks again for the details, I might just get me a propane adapter and see if I can get me some Coleman/similar propane cylinders!

Comment

Colemans has become incredibly scarce due to import shortages apparently - and prices have rocketed.

I've just ordered an adapter for the larger propane containers so I can refill the old colemans canisters as advised by a camping forum.

Just need to get hold of one of the large canisters now.

Comment

For info purposes guy's.
          Apparently the company that bottled the propane on behalf of coleman had gone into receivership, the lack of gas is due to that. Alledgedly a polish company has taken over the bottling of the gas and deliveries are expected july ish!

Regards
          Jon
          ICS M4
          KSC Glock 17
          Classic Army MP5 A5
          sigpic

Comment

OK I went to my local hardware store today just to see out of curiosity if they had any of this propane for sale.

They did, kind of. In the DIY section -> barbecue/camping mini-section they had a selection of three brands which were CampinGaz, Coleman and GoSystem. All were a butane/propane blend and on the Coleman canisters it said 70% Butane/30% propane. All canisters had re-useable/re-sealable valves. So is this the stuff that can be used with an adapter?

The most expensive of them all was the larger CampinGaz canisters, I believe, priced at £7.99. Coleman's of the same size were about £6.49 and the smaller GoSystem ones were around £3.99... each, may I add.

Comment

Another thing is that the non-airsoft propane cans have accurate volume information.

I read somewhere that the "normal" airsoft green gas can labels are wrong on composition AND volume, leading another retailer to relable them correctly.

Comment

the mixed propane /butane cans are rubbish for airsoft and very low powered, use pure propane only
                m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Originally posted by screwdriver View Post
                  the mixed propane /butane cans are rubbish for airsoft and very low powered, use pure propane only
                  OK, thanks. Looks like I'm out of luck with regards to buying propane in a shop near me, then.

Comment

Interesting read!

Comment

Hi All
                      A place called Camprite leisure, on the net had some coleman twin packs available, i have just received mine. A little pricey at £23 delivered next day, but if you can't get it elswhere it was the only option.
                      Jon
                      ICS M4
                      KSC Glock 17
                      Classic Army MP5 A5
                      sigpic

Comment

Ita funny as the only real advantage of propane over green was really cost effectiveness... I usually use guarder black gas which is about £15 for 2000ml.

Generic Tapatalk Signature.
                        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

The coleman propane is normaly around £12-15 for the twin pack (3000ml) if you buy it localy, but as there is none and i needed gas i didn't mind paying the extra. It works out about 60% cheeper than green gas (accordinng to a recent airsoft mag)

Jon
                          ICS M4
                          KSC Glock 17
                          Classic Army MP5 A5
                          sigpic

Comment

Go outdoors near me have loads of Coleman propane on the shelves . Was in there 2 day

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
                              Ita funny as the only real advantage of propane over green was really cost effectiveness...

Generic Tapatalk Signature.
                              and the smell of course
                              Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Reamer Find out more about Reamer
                              Working...
                              X