Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Beginner Weapons?

Hi.
    I am really new to airsoft as one of my friends told me about it and it sounded really cool, so I am looking to buy my first airsoft gun.
    I don't know alot about the different types of guns but i am looking for either something small and automatic like a SMG, or something semi-automatic and powerful like a Sniper rifle.
    I'm not to sure about the differences between electric and gas powered weapons, is one more complicated or expensive? and is one generally better than the other?
    I'd really like it to be as cheap as possible as i don't have an awful lot of money to spend so less than £80 would be best but i have seen some great deals here for all the second hand ones, second hand is probably the way i want to go as new ones would be alot more expensive.
    Also am looking to get into skirmish days so would a gun for that price even be good enough to take along with me or would it be alot better to just rent something for the day?

Thanks so much for helping me out if you do

P.S. is this the right place to be posting this? if it's not i'm really sorry

Re: Good Beginner Weapons?

most new guys tend to go for anything armalite, so an M4, M16 etc. lots of spares to go around and LOTS of modularity.
    The Gear Box Destroyer

Comment

A beginners weapon?I don't buy into that...use site guns first then buy the best you can afford.
      AEG's are the most popular,easy to maintain and easy to upgrade.
      Peruse the classifieds and if you want ask for advice on anything you fancy in there,£80 may get you a good seconhander (Mp5,smg),but if you use site guns prior to getting your UKARA it may give you more time to save,budget towards £150 and there will be much more choice,M4's,assault rifles,etc,also with secondhanders most of the mods(if required) and upgrades will be done..
      A good sniper rifle will cost you more and although fun would not be reccomended as an introduction into the sport,play a few games and see what you prefer CQB,woodland,etc..

Comment

First, we need to know how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
          First, we need to know how old you are.
          Isn't that added automaticaly when you register?
          Our advice is still valid,it is the seller that should check defence if there is any doubt.

Comment

If your going to get in to the sport then you need to sort out 3 things.

1) Your age...?
            2) Go play at a site within a certain amount of times while renting
            3) Avoid hatred by ensuring you follow said rules and not risking our much loved sport.

Comment

Originally posted by snuff View Post
              Isn't that added automaticaly when you register?
              Our advice is still valid,it is the seller that should check defence if there is any doubt.
              People can lie.

And I think the under 18 tag is a manually added thing, as it replaces our "ranks". Plus it is down to all of us to defend the hobby.

Anyway, Armalites are good for starters because of the modularity, parts available and just about every company makes them. SMG wise MP5s are probably a good bet. I'd go AEG over gas to start with as it'll be more consistent throughout the year and requires less maintenance.
              "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
              Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrisianspirit View Post
                People can lie.

And I think the under 18 tag is a manually added thing, as it replaces our "ranks". Plus it is down to all of us to defend the hobby.
                I agree with what you say,we do protect our sport via defence which all sellers check....

Comment

AFAIK the Under 18 tag is added only when someone underage is caught trying to buy a RIF. There was a guy just yesterday that had been illegally sold a RIF; I think it might have been on this forum, too.

Comment

Give the man a break guys, he hasn't said he's under (or over) 18, and does, by his manner of writing, sound pretty responsible anyway, in answer to your question Danko, as Stones said, an M4 is a great gun and as versatile as it gets, soI would suggest, trying the sport out, saving up a little and going for either the G&G or Classic army, sportline versions, available on the forum sometimes for as little as £100 used and new from about £125/£130. .... Observe the rules and play safe, enjoy the sport mate, it's great.
                    "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Down to the basics. An AEG will require you to charge a battery you plug into the gun (usually its hidden in the stock or front handguard of the gun) whereas a Gas Gun needs to have a magazine which is full of gas, in my experience these guns are far from reliable. As a beginner, your best bet would be to go to a site first, hire out a gun and see if you actually enjoy the sport before shelling out serious cash, although to be fair its hard not to enjoy it!

Comment

A good starter gun will be a m4 due to all the aftermarket parts, try the g&g combat machine series
                        Originally posted by FireKnife
                        Firing a MAC-11 is like a guy with premature ejaculation having sex with a stunning and filthy woman.

So much win but over way to quickly.

Comment

Ok thanks for everything guys you have been helpfull.

Two areas to clear up now.
                          The age issue.
                          and my original question of a good begginers gun.

I'll start with the age, I am under 18.
                          I do not intend to purchase any weapon directly as I know that it is illegall to do so.
                          But I did read that it is legal for someone 18 or over to buy a weapon for a minor as that part of the VRCA only covered the selling of the weapons not the use of them.
                          Whether this is true I am not sure and would be gratefull if someone could clear up the law on the use of airsoft weapons as i don't want to do anything illegal.

Also do you have to be 18 or over to bring your own weapon to an official site to use in a match? are under 18's allowed to bring their own weapons?
                          I would think that if under 18's are allowed to participate then they are allowed to bring their own guns, but like i say i dont know.

Onto the matter of a good gun i'm probably going to go for an AEG now, I saw alot of people reccomend the M4 or M16.
                          Would I be able to get a good M4 or M16 for £80 or less and when i say good i mean good enough to bring to an official match.

finally I saw people mention armalite. is that a brand of airsoft gun or a type of gun?

Thanks for being so helpful :D

Comment

Loads of people at my local swear by the G&G combat machine series, if you are under 18 then get your parents to buy you a two-tone one, if you're over 18 get UKARA registered then buy a normal colour one!

edit: armalite means basically an m4 style gun

Comment

With regards you getting an airsoft "gun" there are issues.

As an under 18 you can be gifted a Two Tone gun by someone over the age of 18 (who doesn't need a defense due to it being two tone) or you can be gifted a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm) by a regular skirmisher with a valid defense.

Note in both cases you are not allowed to pay/give money to the purchaser, it can only be given as a gift. So for example if it was your birthday coming up your parent could gift you a gun (based on the criteria above, from the sounds of it two tone would be necessary, unless you can convince a parent to become a skirmisher lol) but it would be illegal for you to donate money to the gun (but it would be the purchaser who gets into trouble).
                              "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
                              Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X