Custom paint job. Would this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom paint job. Would this work?

Cant see anything cheap at the moment but there's a product called PhotoEZ, (EZscreenprint) which is great for doing stencils.
    You basically print out a B&W logo on your PC / Mac, Place the print over the stencil material and expose it to sunlight. You end up with a nice crisp stencil you can screen print with.
    Just another option to consider.
    (apparently you keep the stuff in the fridge and it lasts ages.)
    OD looks good to me. Also love that G36!

Comment

If you need a stencil option, I have a vinyl cutter (for car and van graphics, signage etc) and can cut stencils etc, the only disadvantage of course is that they are only used once, if you are doing multiple team guns you would need multiple stencils, so probably not a cheap option.

Comment

Thanks for all the help here guys I'm feeling pretty confident with this now. One last question though: what primer should I go for? Anybody recommend a brand?
        Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
        I've never seen an Aug look so large :p

Comment

Go to technical help section and find the how to spray a gun thread. There's some great paints on there, just look at the comments and see what people have said.
          Originally posted by psirus101
          I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

Krylon works well so long as you spray a varnish over the top. I used a matte varnish (spray can form) and did 4 coats of it. Mine only worn away on the grip area. No flakes at all just general wear

Comment

grey spray primer, any make really but your looking at £5 to £7 a can really

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy View Post
                See that's the story I hear abotu more with krylon. Any tips to how to get a good lasting coat?
                I'm a bit surprised by the comments on it not being very good! I have no real issues with it. Problems are usually down to the preparation. Krylon is designed to be sprayed straight on, but a little primer probably couldn't hurt.

As with everything - preparation is key. As the others have said, the surface has to be clean and grease free - preferably even from finger prints I use paint preparation wipes from Halfords and give the surface a good clean with them - they remove grease and dirt etc - then leave it to dry off (they are moist like baby wipes!). Once it's dry, then I handle it as little as possible or use kitchen towel to pick up the bits.

Spray technique helps too - 4 or 5 thin coats are much better than 1 or 2 thick coats. Let it dry between coats - Krylon is touch dry in 20 mins, so I usually leave it about that or longer. I think chipping is caused by the coats being too thick!

That's it really, then leave it overnight to dry before reassembling it.

Will it rub off on pressure points - yup! I don't think it can be helped. One of the reasons I left my grip black But a little wear adds to the effect.

The gun in the pic I posted has been skirmished 3 or 4 times on all day games. While I'm not the most aggressive player out there, I don't wrap it in cotton wool. I carry it around, plonk it down on tree stumps when I'm dead, or the floor etc.

Comment

Here you go, got a bit bored yesterday so cracked open the spray paint. Not quite the same scheme as yours. It's humbrol matt dark earth, which isn't as close to magpul DE as I'd like - more of a sandy colour. The reason for spraying it was to cover up the worst bits of the previous owners paintjob, so although I'm not 100% happy with the colour it looks better than it did A bit of wear and tear will rub/scratch it up a bit so it doesn't look as fresh!

Comment

I don't like tan guns, or (as a general rule) guns that's not black or bare metal.

But, that looks quite nice, though I think the solid stock it too large an amount of black and makes it look unbalanced. Would look much better with a sliding stock IMHO.
                    sigpic

Comment

Agree with you on the stock. I was planning on putting a sliding stock on it with a CTR I have spare. But I am probably going to sell the gun on, and decided I wanted to keep the CTR for myself

If I put a sliding on there I could only sell it to someone with a crane stock/lipo batteries already! The stubby stock was a good compromise between size and battery compatability. I was going to spray it too, but it's rubberised on the outside so I decided to leave it as it is.

Comment

hi go for a abs based polimer primer, halfords do some thing like that and the do a good range of camo paint super mat finish. i only no what to use as i'm a painter by trade if you use a standard grey primer you run the risk of it spliting when you put the top coat on.

Comment

I agree with rockinrobin, I think the stock needs a coat of paint as well, and just keep the butt pad black

Also someone mentioned using masking tape, I would try to avoid that and use painters masking tape if possible. Normal masking tape doesnt seal well enough in my experience, and the paint bleeds through underneath the edges.

This is tape is perfect:-

http://www.frogtape.co.uk/
                          Last edited by Grimlock; 13 March, 2011, 14:03. Reason: oops
                          Can we try with real bullets now?

Armoury:- SR25, M60 E4, M4, MP5 A5, P226

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Roxy Been an airsofter since October 2008 Find out more about Roxy
                          Working...
                          X