Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corporal syndrome - A rant.

Originally posted by Prev View Post
    Im all up for hearing someones battle plans. If someone is commanding the masses then all for them. If it helps with getting the objective then crack on.

Got to feel sorry for about 3 or 4 lads at gz plan b site a few months back. As much as they pointed/talked and shouted the masses were not listening to them. It was only till they pushed up them selves, to fall in line with the team I was with. Thats when the rest of the masses got the picture.

Not sure if any of you guys were there but this is the game were Bravo spent all day continually attacking the doughnut. Also some bravo cheated by running through the car park with an objective (quite a large missile).
    That was mostly me and my lads, Prev.

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
    Two things:

Drill Sergeant vs Corporal. Yes, Drill Sergeants shout at people all day, but I've never worked with one who does it for the sake of imposing his/her own authority. It is generally done for a reason, be that to create team work (by forcing a group to band around a single person who is being singled out), to remind them of standards which are falling, or (generally the case), to remind them that their idea of good is not up to the required standard (ie perfect). I have worked with a lot of (Lance) Corporals who will shout and bully for the sake of imposing the tiny little bit of authority they have been given. Most grow out of it very quickly, because it is counter-productive and causes resentment and lack of support. Those that don't grow out of it find their promotional plans stalling very early.

Orders being shouted at airsoft matches. I hate to see a game thrown away by poor tactics and lack of communication. I hate to see an objective hold as people aren't willing to push forward, take their hits, and risk a re-spawn. I laugh my tits off sometimes at the totally inept game play from both newbies and more experienced (or is that just the kit whores). Yes I may shout things like move forward or watch the rear. But I never order people around the field, never tell them where to move to and I never yell at them as if I have any authority over them. If someone does this, I will have a word with them in the safe zone. If they do it twice, it won't be a quiet word.

We are there to have fun. Giving direction, advice and (educational) instruction is one thing. Giving orders is another. If someone wants to give orders, they should either form a team, or if they are in one, restrict their leadership skills (!?) to that team and that team only, taking them to another part of the playing field if the other players around them annoy them too much.
    The 'Drill-Sergeant' thing is mostly because of their film portrayals. It's not a knock at anyone who does it, I see a need for it and I see the reasoning behind it. My point with that was probably poorly phrased, but it was that people who scream orders are different from people who encourage action.
    www.dartmoorrangers.co.uk
    Everyone goes on about how inspiring the story of Anne Frank is, but when I keep a little jewish girl in my attic suddenly THATS NOT OK?

Comment

tbh, i've paid for the day just like everyone else has, if people want to lead a group, go ahead, but dont get angry at those who want to do their own thing. If people are going to be cowards/lazy, well unfortunately, the bitter truth is that's their prerogative as a paying customer of the site.

For those that take the game a little more seriously, you'd be better off joining a squad, or forming your own, hence why we started Battle Inc. because we're a group of friends who will follow each other arround, support, and move up. but if we're not up to it, we can goof about if we want to.

I mean, half the time i'm not even with my squad, last time i was there i had only my pistol and one mag and i was STILL charging the enemy on my own, but i do that because i can, and i want to. If people dont want to, IMO, they're missing out on half of the fun of taking out 3 enemies by taking them all by suprise (not to mention getting shot to bits by the rest of them shortly afterwards).

I dont think you can say Owain "doesnt get his own point"... because you can take whatever you like from what he has said, whether it be "people who take the game seriously are bad" or "people who expect everyone to fall in line is bad" or "bossing about 11 years olds is bad", all that matters at the end of the day is that you play the way you want to. So long as it doesnt spoil anyone else's fun, it's fine.

Shout as much as you like, but dont get shirty with me when i see a shiny thing and go investigate.

even the marshals arent that pushy, in a recent game, delta had just taken back stag, and woody asked for people to stay to defend it, but said if they wanted to go out and shoot bravos, that was fine too. EVERYONE buggered off, but batle inc stayed behind until we were reinforced, and Woody was grateful for it, because we would have opened ourselves right up to a bomb quite easily and lost the game and he knew it, but there was no orders, no shouting, none of that. He asked politely and we stuck about. simple as.

theres a fine line between "leadership" and "being a dick" when it comes to the shouting. just chill out, y'know.
      Main Weapon: Well MB-10
      Side-arm: WE Baby Hi-Capa 3.8

UkFur Airsofter

Comment

While I agree in the majority, I think the shouting can be needed. From a psychology point of view, in a tense situation, shouted words increase adrenaline, whether they be positive or negative words. People are also prone to follow someone who seems like they know what they're doing if they themselves don't.

In an airsoft situation, both of these things together add up to one thing: Most people will fight harder and enjoy themselves more because they'll have more endorphins rushing around, and less worries because they don't have to think so much about what they need to do.

Despite the fact that we seem to keep agreeing with each other in different words, I disagree with 'just chill out' for the following; 'You don't have to listen, or follow, or anything'. Let people play how they want.

Saying 'just chill out' is basically saying to someone 'change the way you play because I disagree with it'. If you were to say to someone 'Change the way you play, because it's offensive' or '...against the rules', or '...upsetting other paying customers', that's fine. However, you can't use 'I disagree with it' to validate why they should.

Finally, when you say:

"I dont think you can say Owain "doesnt get his own point"... because you can take whatever you like from what he has said", you just agree with me. I wasn't trying to be offensive to Owain, and I hope he didn't take it as such. I was conveying the same sentiment you did: "you can take whatever you like from what he has said". His was not a concise point, and could be taken many ways. What he said was not what he meant to say, hence he doesn't get his own point.
        Everyone goes on about how inspiring the story of Anne Frank is, but when I keep a little jewish girl in my attic suddenly THATS NOT OK?

Comment

I’m sure he gets his own point... he may not have been as particular as others would like but I am sure he understands his own mind :D

Beside’s it was the OP and it does not matter how detailed you are it will evolve into sub parts of the conversation anyway.
          Xadin {sha'din} Monkey

Next skirmish: GZ Woodland TBA

Comment

Ok, so I also suck at putting across what I mean to say :P

It has made me laugh that we're all basically agreeing with each other, but still kind of arguing the toss anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Trust View Post
              It has made me laugh that we're all basically agreeing with each other, but still kind of arguing the toss anyway.
              Thats the way this forum is :P
              Dboys KAC PDW - PEQ - Lipo - 2x midcaps - £150ono
              Classic Army B&T MP5A5 - Battery - 2x midcaps - £200ono
              2x Clone M9 GBB - 1 Mag Each - £50ea ono

Comment

Frankly I think everyone should listen to me and obey my every single order.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

Originally posted by HunterAndy View Post
                  Frankly I think everyone should listen to me and obey my every single order.
                  Yes Sir!

I tend to 'rally the troops' myself, most of the new players love it, because it makes them feel needed and part of the game, rather than getting bored defending an area that wont be attacked.

I also don't mind when some one else takes the reigns, as it gives me a chance to not have to think, and I'm usually happy to follow orders of some one with a plan, again makes me feel part of a team.

Comment

have to argee with Rampage here, i'm ex forces, and its second nature for me to "bark em out", not in a bosy way, just adding to the whole experiance, equally, i'm happy to fall in line with orders that are flying about, brings back fond memories...

Agreed, shouting at 11 year olds is a bit much, but should 11 year olds be playing airsoft? Personally, though my site lets 10 year olds play paintball, I dont advise it, they are an accident waiting to happen, constantly lifting thier goggles. Now Site markers are semi auto, but aegs, someone opens up on a target, that happens to be an eleven year old.... hmmm. Sorry, off topic! lol

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post

Agreed, shouting at 11 year olds is a bit much, but should 11 year olds be playing airsoft? Personally, though my site lets 10 year olds play paintball, I dont advise it, they are an accident waiting to happen, constantly lifting thier goggles. Now Site markers are semi auto, but aegs, someone opens up on a target, that happens to be an eleven year old.... hmmm. Sorry, off topic! lol
                      i think young players should be encouraged. after all we are running around with toy guns:D

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
                        Yes Sir!

I tend to 'rally the troops' myself, most of the new players love it, because it makes them feel needed and part of the game, rather than getting bored defending an area that wont be attacked.

I also don't mind when some one else takes the reigns, as it gives me a chance to not have to think, and I'm usually happy to follow orders of some one with a plan, again makes me feel part of a team.
                        I know exactly what you mean

In a game of Paintball (again with the paintball) some guy, "took me under his wing" and took me with him. I was completely empty so he said, "just run round and make some noise with it".

What a legend

GR-16 for Sale http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24928 Gr-16 for Sale

Comment

lol. Well said :D

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                          Working...
                          X