1980's US marine Loadout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980's US marine Loadout

I watched Heartbreak Ridge the other day and deecied I'd quite like a US marine loadout from the early 80's.

Can anyone post a list of stuff I'd need to look at getting?
    sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Re: 1980's US marine Loadout

I would have hough it would be LC1/2 and Woodland. Not hard to do really.

Comment

Woodland ripstop or twill bdu either with a usmc woodland cover or boonie,
      Usmc tan trouser belt
      LC2 webbing
      Alice pack
      Us jungle (nam style ) boots
      M16a1
      And possibly a woodland lbv
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Parky
      Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Cheers guys. I'll start looking around for the gear.
        sigpic

Comment

The hardest (and possibly most expensive) item missing from the list to complete that look is the PASGT vest.
          The LBV didn't come into service with the US military until the 90's, but there are few fundamental differences between the looks.
          Apart from the eagle globe and anchor logo on the trouser belt, left BDU pocket and helmet cover/cap (and possibly the boots in some lots), the look is fundamentally simillar to the that of the US Army infantryman, both in the mid-to late 80's and early to mid-90's.

Starting with the base uniform (we're assuming a mid-to late 80's look, imagine pre-Desert Storm), you're gonna need some woodland pattern 4-pocket BDUs with the Eagle, globe and anchor logo on the left breast pocket. This is the only fundamental difference between the BDUs. No flags or IFF patches on the arms, Marines did not implement them.
          The cover can be a PASGT M88 K-pot, with a 2-point suspension with a matching cover, also emblazoned with the EGA logo n the front, or an 8-point garrison cap (also with the EGA logo on the front).
          The trousers may have also had the EGA (but I'm not positive, someone else may need to confirm this) on the one of the back pockets.
          Boots come in several variety.
          The standard issue boots are the Altama plain black leather boots with a Panama-style sole (older lots may have had the standard "mountain" sole). Jungle boots were issued for warmer climates and (purportedly) to some troops during Desert Storm as there weren't enough suede leather desert boots to go around. These were also made by Altama. Some lots may have had the EGA logo on them, but they generally weren't very common.

In terms of gear, LC1 and LC2 ALICE webbing were common. There isn't much difference between the two, save for a different type of belt, and both systems are completely interchangeable, and most troops mix and matched with what they were given. Colors were almost exclusively OD.
          You'll need a Y-Harness, 2 universal ammo pouches (with grenade pockets), an entrenching tool with cover, one or two canteen pouches, possibly a buttpack and a pistol belt for the M9, and a double magazine pouch for that, and an FFD pouch to be strapped to the harness. You may also want a respirator pouch to be worn as a dump bag (or you can put a respirator in there if you like).
          Armament is comprised of the mainstay of the US military: the M16A2. Make sure you know the differences between the A1 and the A2, and remember that the were no such thing as picatinny rails back then. You can outfit this with the iconic M203 grenade launcher with the heatshield. Absolutely no M4 carbines, they weren't developed yet. If you want a carbine, consider one of the many CAR-15 variants, with either A1 or A2 style uppers.

Let me know if you need more help.

Comment

^ Pretty much that.

From what I remember of the film the Recon platoon (that Eastwood is put in charge of) didn't wear the vests and wore boonie hats. Correct me if I am wrong though as I am going from memory.

Edit

Found a pic from the film.

Comment

agreed, thats really indepth and accurate, i said LBV as well it looks cool :p

EGA on the trouser pockets ? uh no, the garrison cap is known as a "cover"

oh both of us forgot the Ka-BAR, a amercian bloke on the bay makes resin ones!
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Parky
              Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi69 View Post
                agreed, thats really indepth and accurate, i said LBV as well it looks cool :p

EGA on the trouser pockets ? uh no, the garrison cap is known as a "cover"

oh both of us forgot the Ka-BAR, a amercian bloke on the bay makes resin ones!
                Well, for the sake of pedantry, the term "cover" is a generic term for any sort of headgear worn as part of the service or utility uniform, be it a watch cap, beret, or even a baseball cap. Obviously, Marines don't wear berets or baseball caps. The 8-pointed garrison cap's technical term is "utility cover".
                Recon Marines may wear boonies or watch caps, which is one of the few ways they set themselves apart from other Marines.

Another interesting feature of the Marine uniform is that they are the only branch authorised to roll up their sleeves exposing the lighter-coloured inside of the shirt. This is one way the Marines distinguish themselves from members of other infantry services, and the aded effect of making you look like you have beefier biceps than you actually do.
                Other uniform accoutrements include an OD undershirt, no service or name tapes (not in use until the 90's), EGA pins on the collar (up to you to decide to wear them or not, I'd go against it, too easy to lose, impractical, potentially sensitive), rank insignia.

Also, boots are to be bloused outside of the uniform.

Other minor details include an L-shape torch, smoke grenades, Ka-Bar knife (do use a replica on the field), and the iconic (and so very hard to find outside the US) PASGT vest. Cat's eye helmet bands and the US issue Sun, Dust, and Wind goggles further enhance the look.
                To maximise your ammo carrying capacity, feel free to add two more LC2 Universal ammunition cases. If you need to use a grenade launcher, get a grenade vest. Not too hard to find, and reasonably priced.

In fact, later I may hunt down some nice photos. I love the old-school Marine look, so it's a loadout I find fascinating to research.

Comment

Lucky Lefty has a PASGT vest he's not too keen on.

Comment

PASGT vests regularly come up for sale on the bay of E-some sellers must be tripping on acid with their start prices,others very reasonable.

Not all PASGT covers had the EGA stencil on then(or all the BDUs for that matter)-iron on transfers could be bought from PXs(not sure if same term for USMC/NAVY) and added by the individual Marine.

Not sure when it came in but Marines also used to sew a Nametape to the butt of their trs above one of the pockets and to the top flap of their Buttpack.

Comment

Forgot to add also that if youre doing early 80s USMC you could use the ERDL RDF BDUs and M1 Steel Pot with ERDL RDF cover.

Comment

Will I need both the LC2 webbing and the LBV or is it one or the other?
                        sigpic

Comment

As far as I can make out from the few stills I can find it all appears to be LC2.

Comment

Yup. LBV didn't come into service until the mid 90's, so LC1 and LC2 are the only way to go.

Comment

Fair do's...Are they compatible tho i.e Do/Can you wear both at the same time or is it one or the other.

I quite fancy an LBV just cos they look good, not for the loadout.....
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hellfish Find out more about Hellfish
                              Working...
                              X