they went in to production in 1984
    but what spec they were im not sure

Comment

Re: 1980's US marine Loadout

Originally posted by N3ADS View Post
      you could use an m4
      they went in to production in 1984
      but what spec they were im not sure
      The Colt 727 was in production but wasn't in use by any of the US forces until 1994 IIRC, I would be very careful using guns in period loadouts. They certainly didn't use the model with the detachable carry handle (Colt 777).

You could use a Colt 624 or 723 but not an M4 really (except as a stand in).

Comment

jane's guide said in was in production from 1984
        but like i said dont no what spec it was and didnt say when it went in to service

Comment

I probably means the Colt Model 727 with an A2 reciver as that is what the M4 carbine is based off of. It went into service and had the reciver replaced with a flat top one and became the Colt 777, the M4 is only what the US DOD calls it. I think you are right in that it has been in production for a while but 't used back in the 80's. They were still using the XM177E2 in the early 90's along with the M733 for carbine length weapons.

Comment

most likely an xm with a long barrel and a1 flash hider

Comment

I love the RetroSoft, if i wear anything post 2000 i start feeling sick...

Just thought i post up my current set, i recently played IED in this:

Issue Woodland BDU's and boonie
              Issue LBV
              2 M16 triple mag pouch
              2 Issue Canteen carriers
              Issue individual first aid kit with pouch
              Bianchi M12 Holster
              Issue SAW pouch (for grenades and stuff)
              Medium Alice Pack (without frame cos it gets in the way)
              M17 Gas mask carrier (dropleg)
              And my weapons of choice a G&P M733 and TM M1911

The photo is for effect really as you cant see much of my gear as i cover my buddy.

Ben
              "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

I figure I'll drop this here rather than create a new thread. I've been putting together a late 80's / early 90's generic US kit to make up a few different loadouts.

Currently I've managed to get my hands on:

Woodland BDUs
                Woodland Boonie
                LC2 Rig (2x 5.56 pouches, 2xCanteen, Bianchi M12, Butt Pack, Dressing pouch)
                PASGT Helemt
                Medium Alice Pack with Frame (though prefer it without).

On top of that I have the following on the way:

M9 Bayonet
                M40 Gasmask pouch (for a future Desert Storm loadout)
                LBV
                Sun Wind and Dust goggles

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to find a PASGT vest though, does anyone have any ideas? I've seen a couple on auctions sites, but they've been in subhuman sizes

Is there anything obvious that I've missed from the era? I know I'm being non-specific about units, but I'd like the option to flit between doing a few different loadouts.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIFF_MoA View Post
                  I figure I'll drop this here rather than create a new thread. I've been putting together a late 80's / early 90's generic US kit to make up a few different loadouts.

Currently I've managed to get my hands on:

Woodland BDUs
                  Woodland Boonie
                  LC2 Rig (2x 5.56 pouches, 2xCanteen, Bianchi M12, Butt Pack, Dressing pouch)
                  PASGT Helemt
                  Medium Alice Pack with Frame (though prefer it without).

On top of that I have the following on the way:

M9 Bayonet
                  M40 Gasmask pouch (for a future Desert Storm loadout)
                  LBV
                  Sun Wind and Dust goggles

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to find a PASGT vest though, does anyone have any ideas? I've seen a couple on auctions sites, but they've been in subhuman sizes

Is there anything obvious that I've missed from the era? I know I'm being non-specific about units, but I'd like the option to flit between doing a few different loadouts.
                  PASGT vests are out there on the bay but like the LBVs some sellers must be deluded as to their true worth judging by the start prices of some!!!!

Now this is just MY personal take/opinion but for late 80s early 90s holster wise i would choose the leather hip or shoulder(could then also be used if you do Vietnam) and as for the gas mask again only MY preference but would go for the M17A1.

Comment

Were M17's still kicking about at the turn of the decade then? I must admit to knowing roughly sod all about gas masks.

*edit*

... buying kit that could do a Nam loadout as well would almost certainly put me on a slippery (and expensive) slope!

Comment

Not exactly sure when the M17 series were phased out but know the M17A1(or was there an A2) was used during Desert Storm but if you want to do later as well i guess an M40 would be better suited to you.

Comment

Thanks, there seem to be plenty of them about on the auction sites, do you know if the pouch can be warn 'drop leg' like the later M40?

Comment

Originally posted by CHIFF_MoA View Post
                          Thanks, there seem to be plenty of them about on the auction sites, do you know if the pouch can be warn 'drop leg' like the later M40?
                          My M17 is a drop leg. Has a waist strap and upper leg wrap around strap. The carrier cost me $4 from the US...the shipping was £15! I love my M17, fits all kinda crap in it.

Ben
                          "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

Originally posted by idrivetractors View Post
                            My M17 is a drop leg. Has a waist strap and upper leg wrap around strap. The carrier cost me $4 from the US...the shipping was £15! I love my M17, fits all kinda crap in it.

Ben
                            Brilliant, just what I needed to hear. Thanks

Comment

The straps of an M17 carrier can be configured so it can be carried in various positions including the leg.

If anyone has a Nam period M17 carrier i have a nice later M17A1 carrier to trade if interested.

Also if youre on the lookout for a complete M17A1 with bag etc let me know how much youre thinking of spending as i have an M17 and M17A1 so the A1 i guess could go.

Comment

I'm currently in the process of selling up but here's a look at my 'Jarhead' circa 1991/Desert Storm USMC kit.

I have the following:
                                Choc-Chip BDUs
                                Choc-Chip cover
                                PASGT (replica)helmet and (genuine)vest plus Choc-Chip covers
                                M17a1 respirator and bag
                                LC3-ALICE webbing with Y suspenders + pouches and buttpack/canteen etc
                                Replica ESS goggles
                                desert boots or jungle boots

I ran this loadout with my old M16A3/M203 for the full-on Jarhead look. It rocked. Crap for woodland but was great for urban stuff.

All of the stuff is on eBay at the minute if anyone is looking for a USMC theme loadout. It's sized for bigger guys lol.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hellfish Find out more about Hellfish
                                Working...
                                X