Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: United States Special Forces

Originally posted by SemperFi69 View Post
    i got both orc and the EBand the only difference look wise is the actual material..
    Very hard to tell the difference at a distance, only up close and to the touch can you really tell.

left to right orc set, orc jacket, orc set, ebb set, ebb set

Comment

When was that taken ezek? only the snow on the ground intrigues me as I'm about 15 mins drive from there and I have no snow.

Comment

ah yea sorry to get your hopes up, was this time last year i think

Comment

Originally posted by nice_guy_andy View Post
          You might find that some US soldiers wear the Ranger tab when they have qualified from Ranger school but the US Ranger Regiment do not wear the Ranger tabs when deployed on operations during the time this impression is based on.

This info is from the research I have done and what I have been told from those Rangers who are also airsofters on a massive forum that shares its name with a famous actor turned politician.
          From my experience of working with the Yanks in Basra - 10th Mountain Div and 34th Redbull Inf Div, I saw two types of Ranger patch. There is the the ribbon style one, that looks, as I say, like a piece of ribbon, folded at both ends with word Ranger on it, and the Regt. The second, more common one is a small badge, simply with the word ranger on it.

You will find that some guys have opted to go to Ranger school and earn the qualification, and will then get posted back to their original Army unit. The shoulder flash can vary, so some will perhaps have airbourne, special forces, all dependant on what they have earned.

I cant remember the reason, but most guys will have their Division badge on one arm in the cases I saw, the crossed swords of the 10th Mountain, or bulls head for the Redbulls, again, perhaps with a smaller separate patch saying Mountain or Redbull above it, then on the other arm, another patch, but I cant remember the reason why, but I saw the SF dagger and lightening, Air cav, allsorts.
          However, the key was that this was on op's. But, my caveat was that this was within the confines of the COB at Basra. On patrol it might be different.
          sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Ranger school has nothing to do with the 75th Ranger Regiment, the only thing they share is their name. RASP is what you have to pass to get into the 75th.
            Originally posted by fijitstiks
            they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
            Originally posted by N3ADS
            Is this you talking from experience ?..
            i was at cadets for 3 years

Comment

withard what soft shells you wearing?

Comment

Crotmate, what's the differences? Genuine question, not a sarcastic reply! Just wondering as some of those lads were bigging themselves up as SF warriors
                Last edited by Snowdrop; 29 November, 2010, 09:07. Reason: Spelling
                sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

From what I've read and understand, ranger school is more of a leadership program, you get the scroll if you complete it and I would imagine some bragging rights. Ranger selection assesment program (RASP) is what you have to pass to serve in the 75th. From what I understand from reading over on MP.net a new recruit wanting to join the regiment has to do basic, then AIT, then airborne, then RASP before they are sent to a ranger batt. About a year after that, they are encouraged to do ranger school, but anyone from the army can attempt ranger school.
                  Theres a guy on MP.net called BrianT - former 75th ranger who got out about 1 year ago so most of his info is up to date.
                  they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
                  Originally posted by N3ADS
                  Is this you talking from experience ?..
                  i was at cadets for 3 years

Comment

Indeed Ranger school is an Army battlefield leaders course and pretty much anyone from any division can go to it. Earn the Tab then go back to their unit as Ranger tabbed and help train and lead their own sub units.

The Ranger Regt is SOF (Raiding, supporting SF etc, possibly like our SFSG?) who wear the scroll and tab. As there are 3 "fighting" battalions, this is noticable on the scrolls as it willl specify which battalion they serve with.

With regards to wearing div badges on both arms I believe that the current posting goes on left arm while any posting that they were in before and saw combat with goes on the right arm.

With regards to SSI (shoulder sleeve insignia) I think that soldiers are authorised to wear a maximum of 3 tabs for example Special Forces, Airborne, Ranger.

Comment

Is the ORC stuff still used? I'm looking at getting a set but I hear the Patagonia gear is the newer stuff. And ORC seems to be more expensive.

Any advice?

Comment

My AOR 1 replica set has just come from the korean chap...

If there was a position for this kit...it would be doggy...no body can hate it and it just feels so damn right!
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Parky
                        Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi69 View Post
                          If there was a position for this kit...it would be doggy...no body can hate it and it just feels so damn right!
                          Ah your mum likes it too?

Comment

only a little...
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Parky
                            Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Originally posted by SCARd4LIFE View Post
                              Is the ORC stuff still used? I'm looking at getting a set but I hear the Patagonia gear is the newer stuff. And ORC seems to be more expensive.

Any advice?
                              I got my ORC PCU lvl5 stuff about 3 years ago when you could buy it direct, it was issued and fairly cheap, since then the PCU contract has gone to a few different companys, Beyond tactical and patagonia to name a couple, dont think you can go wrong with the patagonia stuff for the money.

The ORC stuff is only thats costly because its not made any more by ORC so complete sets in good quality are few and far between.

Comment

Ah ok well thanks for the advice! I got my Orc level 5 jacket on the way.
                                Just need to sort out the pouches for my vest

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

nice_guy_andy Find out more about nice_guy_andy
                                Working...
                                X