Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: United States Special Forces

Originally posted by sniper34d View Post
    So, which .45s are we talking about? Do you think delta operators today would carry a 1911a1 ?
    Yep, why try and fix something that isn't broken.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleDriver View Post
      The US Army wears the reversed American flag on their right shoulder. The US Air Force wears the forward American flag (when authorized) on their left shoulder. It's a source of jokes by the Air Force that the Army got it "backwards".
      +1 And Correct

AO/OM Handle - VAMP

Comment

So, which .45s are we talking about? Do you think delta operators today would carry a 1911a1 ?
        The 1911 is rather popular with Delta and some other special forces because it is very easy to find parts and to customise. Most of the 1911s used by Special Forces are customised 1911s that come from all different companies like Kimber and Springfield Armoury. Some operators prefer other pistols like USPs chambered for the .45. I don't think I've ever heard of a Delta operator using an M9. I always thought that if they used a .45 not just because of the stopping power but because a 9mm has huge over-penetration compared to the .45.

Comment

The US Army wears the reversed American flag on their right shoulder. The US Air Force wears the forward American flag (when authorized) on their left shoulder. It's a source of jokes by the Air Force that the Army got it "backwards".
          The reason the US army have the flag "backwards" is that it's supposed to represent a flag being carried forwards into the wind. The side with the stars nearest always goes forwards as the flag pole is carried with the flag fluttering behind it - depending on which side of the flag carrier you stand affects how you perceive the flag to be flying. It's the same for all flags with an asymmetric pattern. And the flag on the right shoulder is going forwards hence it appears backwards, as the viewer is to the right of the flag. Not all countries follow this rule with regards to their forces patches, but that's why the US army have "backwards" flags on their right shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by cool-breeze87 View Post
            I don't think I've ever heard of a Delta operator using an M9.
            There are pic earlier in the thread of Delta/Teir 1 Operators with M9's

Anyway, reference pics for SEALs

Last edited by Abbadon101; 3 September, 2010, 15:38.

Comment

As Feenix stated, the reason the US army have the flag "backwards" is that it's supposed to represent a flag being carried forwards into the wind. The side with the stars nearest always goes forwards as the flag pole is carried with the flag fluttering behind it - depending on which side of the flag carrier you stand affects how you perceive the flag to be flying.

It's the same for all flags with an asymmetric pattern. And the flag one the right shoulder is going forwards hence it appears backwards. Not all countries follow this rule with regards to their forces patches, but that's why the US army have "backwards" flags on their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by shoreham View Post
                The reason the US army have the flag "backwards" is that it's supposed to represent a flag being carried forwards into the wind. The side with the stars nearest always goes forwards as the flag pole is carried with the flag fluttering behind it - depending on which side of the flag carrier you stand affects how you perceive the flag to be flying. It's the same for all flags with an asymmetric pattern. And the flag on the right shoulder is going forwards hence it appears backwards, as the viewer is to the right of the flag. Not all countries follow this rule with regards to their forces patches, but that's why the US army have "backwards" flags on their right shoulders.
                I can second this info; i was recently fortunate enough to be on board the USS Missouri @ Pearl Harbour, where they have a framed flag which is reversed.. an inquisitive tourist asked the tour guide why the flag was backward and they went on to explain that the stars always lead the way forward.. so depending on which side you are viewing from the flag can appear to be reserved. It seems to be an upheld tradition for all of the US forces and thus represented in the patches.
                http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196931460381827

Comment

If you mean that one I'm not sure where the M9 is there. The only sidearm I can see is the one in his thigh holster. Not exactly sure how you can say that is an M9 though as to me it could be a SIG as well as an M9.

Comment

The holster is a M9 safariland. Or at least that's the conclusion they came to on another forum and some of the guys on there know more about guns that the manufacturers do.

Comment

It's a Beretta with hogue grips, you can see it clearer in one of the other photos from the set.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Right, I am going to knock together a 80/90's USSF Loadout aimed at being either Rangers or Delta on a woodland recce. Any feedback on the kit list below would be great.

US Woodland BDU's and Cap (the US army type not the marines one)
                          US Woodland LBV
                          Pistol Belt with Ammo pouches, holster(pat58 until I can get a US one), Canteen pouch and Buttpack (all LC1/2)
                          M16A2
                          Boots are Magnum Classics and won't be changing, they don't really stand out a "modern" so will look fine.

Any thoughts as to what to add/change? The holster will be changing ASAP but will do for the moment.

Comment

Sounds good, if you need a period correct holster, 9mm woodland lc2 pouches and correct 90s woodland LC2 buttpack give me a buzz Got some boots too if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by spetsnazdave87 View Post
                              Sounds good, if you need a period correct holster, 9mm woodland lc2 pouches and correct 90s woodland LC2 buttpack give me a buzz Got some boots too if you want.
                              Shameless plug :p

I am looking to a turn of the decade kit so I am happy with my LC2. And as I only have 1 1911 mag ATM I don't need the extra pistol pouches. Plus I don't like the nylon woodland camo, it looks cheap and nasty compared to the Olive pouches.

I just realised I will be carrying about 12 mag with this. One for those longer days.

Comment

Fair enough :p the bianchi m12 holster is right though!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

nice_guy_andy Find out more about nice_guy_andy
                                Working...
                                X