Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impression Guide: US Army Infantryman – Vietnam War

Tom,

These are fantastic and a good frame of reference for myself. Just getting the bug for Namsoft at the moment!

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by simon4103 View Post
      Tom,

These are fantastic and a good frame of reference for myself. Just getting the bug for Namsoft at the moment!

Simon
      Glad you find them helpful mate and its great to hear about another Namsofter in the making!! Be sure to load up a pic of yourself at some point.

Cheers Simon,

Tom

Comment

Hi folks,

Some interesting info on the use of Death Cards in Nam

http://www.psywarrior.com/DeathCardsAce.html

Cheers Simon

Comment

One more question,
          Having a hard time sourcing a flak vest in my size
          I have been told that israeli IDF ones are a good copy

Any opinion on this?

Cheers
          Simon

Comment

i'd go to military oddesy which in few weeks( i think ) its like war and peace but smaller, they would have loads of flak jacets there and quite cheap at that

Comment

One more question,

Any opinion on this?

Cheers
              Simon
              Hiya Simon,

Flak (or Frag) Jackets are a real pain in the arse to find most of the time. I got mine from Italy about 4 years ago (when they seemed to be a bit easier to find) and I'm so glad I did as the prices have started to get really silly now.

Tom (101stairborne-506) is right about checking out Military Oddesy, although I've never been myself, I've heard very very good things about the quality of the sellers stalls there.

If you wanted to go for the Israeli version (which is very similar to the M69 - in fact I think they might well be old US versions) then the only thing I can think of that would improve them (and make them more namlike) is to get them good and dirty as (IIRC) they are quite a bright shade of green. For Namsofting the IDF one is perfectly fine however if you were re-enacting then you might find that your group wanted to get to real deal. When I was at War and Peace the cheapest I saw M69 was around the £60 mark (although on another forum someones claims to have seen them as cheap as £40 - which I find a little hard to believe).

Heres a couple of quick snaps of my M69 frag vest.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers guys,

Tom

PS: Great info on the death cards! Love the voice-over from Apocalypse Now on the website!

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Seen the IDF for under a tenner but needs filling. I am sure I could do that with some foam.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

One more question,

Any opinion on this?

Cheers
                  Simon

What size are you after-are you one of the larger fellows?

I just sold a mint unissued M69 size LARGE.

The IDF ones ive seen for sale are only the nylon covers with no ballistic filler unless you know of anywhere selling complete vests?

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Seen the IDF for under a tenner but needs filling. I am sure I could do that with some foam.

Cheers

Simon
                    terrymcann
                    he knows about IDF ones

seems too much effort if you ask me, BUT is it £50s worth or effort?

not sure, if it were someone like me, i'd pay £60 to get a proper one
                    but then i f**k everything thats DIY up.

Comment

I just sold my M69 Flak jacket on Ebay. Listed it for £80 thinking I'd be happy if it went for the opening bid. Sold for £160:eek: Wish I had more up in the loft. My Marine M52 which I thought was a nicer Flak jacket only sold for half of that.

Comment

Forgot to add. Those Vietnam loadouts are superb. Excellent impressions, nice to see an early, mid and late war look. Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dog green 1 View Post
                          Forgot to add. Those Vietnam loadouts are superb. Excellent impressions, nice to see an early, mid and late war look. Great stuff.
                          Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words - it took abit of time to put each impression together but it was worth it. I'm glad people are finding them useful. Well done with Frag vest my friend £160 is fantastic - that buyer MUST have REALLY wanted it! Good job there man!

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

£160!!!!!!!

Ive noticed on Ebay that some people seem to have more money than sense but not bad for the sellers i guess.

I sold my mint unissued M69(privately) for £80 which i thought was top whack so should have put on Ebay i guess.

M69 vests are always more popular then M52s and fetch slightly more.

If it was a USMC M55 the you would be talking more money!!!

Comment

I'm not sure if the other vest I sold was an M55 or an M52. It had the metal plates going around the bottom and the cord over the shoulder. Pictured it below, also the other Vietnam kit I sold to start my WWII German load out.

Comment

That top picture is of a USMC M55 - a very nice condition one at that - did you say you already sold it? If so can I be a cheeky bugger and ask how much you got for it? They are getting harder and harder to find!

Cheers for sharing the pics - the webbing set is a great guide for anyone who wants a nice basic set of webbing that looks the part and is very functional.

Cheers again mate,

Tom

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tomlegg Find out more about tomlegg
                                Working...
                                X