Impression Guide: US Army Infantryman – Vietnam War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impression Guide: US Army Infantryman – Vietnam War

Great photo Boris. For those that don't know, the building in the background is the 'Re-unification Palace' (before that it was the South Vietnam Presidential Palace). On my trip around southern Vietnam I went to palace as its now a museum and its pretty interesting. Some parts of it have been kept in its abandoned condition (since 1975!) and other parts have been done up to show it in its former glory. Really interesting place and highly recommended if you're evey in that part of the world

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

thinking about nam kits, and looking at the u.s gear, and this is the nam kit thread, could i get away with the following...

tiger stripe bdu, special forces style.

M56 webbing (or the special forces webbing used, if you guys know what set that would be)

and i know that the Mac 10/11 was used, but surely the special forces deep behind vc lines would of used the enemy weapons, ie Type-56, its well known the brits, and russians did this in ww2 against zee germans.

means i could get a Nam u.s kit, use my t-56 and not have to get an M16 cuz i dislike them greatly.

Boris
      K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

in short yes boris, SOG and Seals were partially known to carry the mac 10 for "CQB" as it were,
        it wasnt favoured, the AK or type 56 was among the prefered weapon of choice,though i HAVE seen apicture of a navy SEAL carrying a AK and a Mac
        but Tiger stripe wouldnt be your best bate mate,

plain greens would, with some modifications of course!
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Parky
        Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

i really like tiger stripe tho!

and what webbing then? M56 or USMC?

could be the next loadout tbh.

boris

Comment

Originally posted by kommissarboris View Post
            thinking about nam kits, and looking at the u.s gear, and this is the nam kit thread, could i get away with the following...

M56 webbing (or the special forces webbing used, if you guys know what set that would be)

and i know that the Mac 10/11 was used, but surely the special forces deep behind vc lines would of used the enemy weapons, ie Type-56, its well known the brits, and russians did this in ww2 against zee germans.

means i could get a Nam u.s kit, use my t-56 and not have to get an M16 cuz i dislike them greatly.

Boris
            Yes, it wasn't uncommon for Grunts to abandon their M16s that had jammed for enemy AKs, but the extra peice of mind bought by having a reliably weapon was outweighed by the threat of friendly fire because of the unmistactionable noise the AKs make.
            So yes you can use you AK for sure I am going to take my AKM AIMS with me to the next TOD game along with my CAR-15 to spice things up abit.
            Hope that helps
            Feenix

EDIT:
            and what webbing then? M56 or USMC?
            Well Tiger Stripe was special forces, and US ARMY webbing (M56) is a HELL of alot cheaper than the USMC alternitive. check the online auction site mate, some good deals there
            sigpic
            G&P M16A1, CA XM177, CYMA AKM AIMS, KJW CO2 1911, WELL MP5K GBB, M4 with M203

Comment

Grunts to abandon their M16s that had jammed
              sorry but this is a exaguration,the early XM16e1, Jammed like a bugger, but the gernal issue m16a1,the only problem was, that they were issued no cleaning equipment
              FACT (i have hard evidence)
              once the cleaning sets were issued then all was dandy, i know 2 veterans that swore by there 16's

also with the tigers, SF prefered the standard ripstop greeen stuff, tiger stripe was too american,
              you want greens , with a black stripey spray job or dye them black!
              Reason for usage of the ak -
              the sound, the enemey knew the sound of the ak, and when heard the m14 or m16 or m60 theyd send patrols to "ambush" the us forces,also the way the ak can be dragged through dirt and crap and still fire, unlike the m16 which had to be cleaned, after more or less every fire fight,
              not a rant just truth :p
              sigpic
              Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

Its fine mate, I knew that already, (apart from the VC ambush patrols because they knew the noise of the US weaponry. that ones new)
                I was just running by what BF vietnam tells us :P
                Plus, if the M16 were to be dragged through the mud, say by accident, when ambushed they would pick up a weapon to fire back at the enemy to replace their jammed M16,
                i'm not argueing ( because i dont know enough at ALL about vietnam to be making hard line statements) just running by what I have been told and know.
                BTW have you watched the american TV series Tour of duty?
                feenix
                sigpic

Comment

i didnt mean to be arsey, just things were exagurated so hard,and some times its like AGH
                  people go by films games and pictures, dont bother researching,
                  agreed with the jammed m16 and pick up a AK

your best friend is research and questions,

Semper
                  sigpic

Comment

Boris

Providing you use the Nam design of Tigers and not the horrid brown and orange "modern" type tigers

Comment

speaking of nam kits, heres a VC one i threw together a few years ago,

black combats, with the side pockets removed, black military shirt, from matalan of all places.

nam period, chinese chest rig, (auction sites and repo sites and reenactor sites have these) Real Sword make one.

a brown canvas dump bag, 1950's british to be precise, but does the trick, and a U.S marine issue water bottle, around the back, picked from the corpse of one the the evil capitalist invaders!

the hat is a proper made vietnam "paddy" hat, bought it in australia from the vietnam market for $2.50 (back then about 80p) comes with a plastic wrap over it which i kept on simply to stop bb's destroing it, and a red scarf from topshop, which isn't pictured, don't know where it is, but its a basic womans deep red winter scarf.

gun is an RPK, custom job, i have a proper nam perod one + a T56 to fall back on too.

all together, not including the gun, it literately cost £50 to put together.

also, i choose not to wear sandels when out on a skirmish, but thats up to you.

Boris

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi69 View Post
                        i didnt mean to be arsey, just things were exagurated so hard,and some times its like AGH
                        people go by films games and pictures, dont bother researching,
                        agreed with the jammed m16 and pick up a AK

your best friend is research and questions,

Semper
                        Its fine mate, i was wrong and you were putting me right :P
                        yes, ill stick to my own research and knowlege.
                        That VC loadout looks good boris. very cost efficient
                        feenix
                        sigpic

Comment

it wasnt a im right and your wrong mate, just telling you some information
                          sigpic

Comment

hey guys im looking into the namsoft look

any of you guys know were i can get a nam style sling for my m16a1 please

http://www.ukaircav.com

Comment

Hiya mate,

Soldier of Fortune do original ones for around £20 if I remember correctly. They also appear on eBay semi regularly. If you head over to www.vietnam-airsoft.com or http://z6.invisionfree.com/vietnamai...ex.php?act=idx (these are two great Vietnam airsoft forums) then you can probably find a whole load of goodies including the sling.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi69 View Post
                                sorry but this is a exaguration,the early XM16e1, Jammed like a bugger, but the gernal issue m16a1,the only problem was, that they were issued no cleaning equipment
                                FACT (i have hard evidence)
                                once the cleaning sets were issued then all was dandy, i know 2 veterans that swore by there 16's

also with the tigers, SF prefered the standard ripstop greeen stuff, tiger stripe was too american,
                                you want greens , with a black stripey spray job or dye them black!
                                Reason for usage of the ak -
                                the sound, the enemey knew the sound of the ak, and when heard the m14 or m16 or m60 theyd send patrols to "ambush" the us forces,also the way the ak can be dragged through dirt and crap and still fire, unlike the m16 which had to be cleaned, after more or less every fire fight,
                                not a rant just truth :p
                                Just a bit more about the M16...

The original offering from Colt was sold as "maintenance free" on account of it having corrosion resistant chromed components, but the US Government, decided to do away with this process and finishing in order to keep the cost down. Without the chrome plating the rifles needed cleaning more regularly, but they didn't supply cleaning kits until they realised the effect of not chroming the running gear...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tomlegg Find out more about tomlegg
                                Working...
                                X