Op Herrick 08 Afghanistan - Help me complete it please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Herrick 08 Afghanistan - Help me complete it please

Looks like they've put it through the metal loop for the retention strap. When I looked at mine earlier and tried it, it didn't work. No problem with it on the brim of the helmet, just getting it sat at the back through the metal loop.

How handy are you with a file?

Comment

not great but i was wandering could you show me a photo on how your helmet to see what you did? :P

Comment

found another one with a closer view

Comment

Originally posted by curlyrocks View Post

im basing it around the bloke on the right firing his GPMG

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
          This is 100% from Herrick 6 in the summer of 2007

All you need is DDPM, either a mk1 or mk2 Osprey as both were used and either 6 or 6A helmet as both were used also. Most of the section lads used PLCE webbing with a mixture of pouches from the Osprey. The more forward operating units like the Brigade Recce Force and Mobile Offensive Groups used a set up like in my Avi. Either custom made pouches as per mine on the front of the vest or molle mag pouches with man bags and drop legs. You can also add the black plasticy IR patches as well to your shoulders and helmet. For boots, you've got the choice of either Meindl's, standard British desert boots or Hi-Tec Magnum desert's.

Originally posted by Lee Hill View Post
          I'd go for the tape

British troops have used both rubber an tape round the rim of the helmets on ops, the problem with rubber is that there is the possibility of it melting from the heat of an ied blast, so that was banned, around H10 I believe, despite my protests of " if I'm close enough to an ied blast that it can melt my rubber band round my helmet, my face having melted rubber on it is going to be the last of my worries"

Tape however has also been banned recently, some pish about it degrading the effectiveness of the MTP pattern, resulting in your head being a more visible target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          That thing about the rubber melting is standard army rumour control I reckon. There were rumours about the same thing in Iraq in 2003 and again in 2005, although no-one was told to remove theirs! It's because of the straight line it creates as murta369 pointed out.

Comment

@curlyrocks, referring to your first pics the helmet looks what 2 small for u i would go up to the large shell size! and MTP didnt get given to the troops till 2010 for herrick and then on mass in 2011!

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor3PARA View Post
              @curlyrocks, referring to your first pics the helmet looks what 2 small for u i would go up to the large shell size! and MTP didnt get given to the troops till 2010 for herrick and then on mass in 2011!
              2010? I thought it came about on Herrick 12/13? None of 2/3/4 RIFLES got it, although 3 and 4 on h11 started getting the mk4 osprey and Mk7s

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman93 View Post
                2010? I thought it came about on Herrick 12/13? None of 2/3/4 RIFLES got it, although 3 and 4 on h11 started getting the mk4 osprey and Mk7s
                Herrick 12 and 13 were in 2010 weren't they? Herrick 6 was the summer if 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikep81 View Post
                  Herrick 12 and 13 were in 2010 weren't they? Herrick 6 was the summer if 2007.
                  10 was 2009, 11 was 09/10. Yeh that works out about the end of 2010 beginning of 11. Doesnt seem that long ago now that I think about it.

Comment

i was on 12 and it did come out on our tour which was summer 2010
                    It's not about you dying for your country...
                    Its about making your enemies die for theres

Comment

Yeah I did Herrick 12 summer 2010, Issued DDPM in the UK and then MTP on arrival at Bastion. We also used 3 different Osprey types including the peacock covers though only for a day or two I think. The MK6A- 7 transition was at the start of this tour. As with the DDPM, issued MK6A in UK and MK7 on arrival in theatre. Strangely I didn't have to hand mine in despite a shortage at the time, all the MK7's we had had to stay in theatre.
                      I'd definitely go for the sniper tape band on your helmet instead of the rubber. If only I didn't have my GoPro I could sell you the actual NVG strap. I'd not bother with any sort of whip antenna unless you really want to do a section/ platoon commander loadout as irs just PRR for your general bod.

Comment

He could always try and make it look like ECM antenna. I cant remembwr the different between red/blue etc but the antennas look the same pretty much apart from the coloured band.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman93 View Post
                          He could always try and make it look like ECM antenna. I cant remember the different between red/blue etc but the antennas look the same pretty much apart from the coloured band.
                          He's basing it on Herrick 6 and the Royal Anglians so has no need for an ECM Antenna as it wasn't used much, if at all. I never saw a single set in 6 months. Plus you don't really need a headset as not all the lads had headsets. We had some major kit deficiencies on that tour, I myself didn't get a 6A helmet until halfway through and had no replacements for kit that was damaged or lost such as my MSA Sordin Supremes.

Comment

Plus ECM is a sizable pack, you don't want to be carrying something that big for no reason (certainly not that heavy). There ain't no coloured bands either.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan Command View Post
                              Plus ECM is a sizable pack, you don't want to be carrying something that big for no reason (certainly not that heavy). There ain't no coloured bands either.
                              Pretty sure there are bands? Although that may have been a training thing. The DLP course had coloured bands on the antennas I beleive.

Comment

Ok hows it going? long time no speak.
                                So i thought i would tell you how my loadout is now compared to last year . Its still between herick 6 and herick 7.
                                Ok I have still kept my L86A2 and now equipped with a SUSAT.
                                I have gotten rid of osprey pouches as i hated them as I struggled to reach for the mags and I could not go prone . So i have opted just to use my PLCE.
                                As for the helmet i got a ddpm helmet with elastics as i dont think many cut the elastics offs, I also managed to fit an NVG mount, I bought the top of a nbc boot to fit around the helmet and a bought some ess v12 goggles to finish it off . Should i put cat eyes on or not if so what colour green or sand coloured?

Any Questions ? Have I missed anything?
                                cheers

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

curlyrocks Find out more about curlyrocks
                                Working...
                                X