Wanting a Budget British loadout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanting a Budget British loadout

I shall..I really want the Ares one because it seems to be the only one that uses the actually Susat post sight..The others use a crosshair
    A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him

Comment

Good man! Gadge, I know what you mean, I've got a handful of pictures, that's it!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

The star/ares SUSAT is a bit crap to be honest. I've got one on my star a2

The eye relief is all wrong, you have to have your eye far too close and it makes it tricky to get a good sight picture wearing eye pro.

Also i think it cost about £100 at the time and given its just the 'needle post' it a lot of money.. Clearly they couldnt put a tritium glow in but they could have made it a red dot with the point glowing via led?

Comment

Mmmmmmmm, Tritium! Dropped your Susat? Cover your balls!

Comment

The old 'broken susat' drill was frankly ridiculous. One of the rules was 'stop breathing' which is actually impossible.. what they meant was dont breathe any gas in while you open the windows.. but to quote my old friend Craig who was an instructor with JNBC reg "You'd have to crack and insert about 12 of them anally to do yourslef more harm than an xray!"

TBH the SUIT sight is so much more sensible as the sight post runs from top to bottom so does not obscure your view.

Comment

I seem to remember wearing pouches higher, so could 'rest' my arms on them 8)
              sigpic.
              Never underestimate the power of human stupidity......................................... ..
              Especially mine.

Comment

Hahaha! Elbows tucked in, gat cradled.

Comment

yeah doesnt work as well with an 80 as it does with an SLR. With an L1a1 a belfast cradle is a godsend when you're walking for a while with one. we do a lot of two or three day events with street patrols at places like Crich Village and it's a lot eaiser on the forearms in the cradle.

Comment

Hey don't wanna make a new thread because its a pretty simple question..I am working on a sniper loadout too (Got a tonne of parts for my Warrior L96 coming) I heard that mesh is bad for sniping? So what would you recommend as a good sniper mask/protection.. (Would prefer a full mask because would rather not be shot in the face :P but would it fog alot? ) Also, Have a picture :L (Gun just arrived today so took a rushed picture..When i am at a field i will be using green/black gloves to cover my hands and maybe some paint for my neck/face) 1898678_715388765172823_1884362395_o.jpg
                    A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him

Comment

Clear glasses and a scrim scarf. Scrim scalves are/were G10 issue, so still authentic, it'll take the sting out of a hit, and shouldn't fog you up.

Comment

Alright thanks for the fast reply

Comment

Wear it rag order, same as a shemaugh.

Comment

Scrim was off issue by 95. It gets tangled up a lot.

Great for an 80s loadout but if the rest of your stuff is c95 pattern only cadets were wearing scrim by then ( I know as i used to help out as an AI around that time and I had persuade tons of cadets that while it 'looked cool' a shemagh was far more useful and didnt leave a trail of destruction behind you).

If you're sniping you probably want to (if doing it 90s style) get a sniper smock (not cheap but has padded forearms) or a para smock (same thing but with a few less things like the padding and the rear sling drag loops) and make you own ghillie like battalion snipers used to do. Google for 'tea and medals' airsoft, its an old site by a good bloke called 'hatchet' and while the sites a bit out of date (and non commercial in case some mod with a banhammer is reading) it does show you how to make a good ghillie.

If you're moving 'tactically' and making proper use of cover only your head and shoulders should really ever be visible so you can probably get away with a half ghillie. In my kit i keep an UK jungle had with about two shirts worth of shredded DPM on it like 'dreadlocks' and it provides amazing concealment.

With regards to cam cream... its a bit overkill for non milsim airsoft but if you are going to do it learn to do it properly and dont have a green 'al jolson' face (you're young you might have to google who he is). Dont do the US thing where you paint your head green either as it makes you shine and it defeats the point of cam cream.

Cam cream should be on the face, neck, behind the ears, back of head (if you've cropped hair), hand (even if wearing gloves in case you take them off) and up your forearms about six to eight inches in case your sleeves ride up while crawling. To put it on properly put a bit on your hand, spit on it, mix it into your hands and smear all the mentioned areas *lightly* this 'tans' you a bit and takes the shine off from your skins natural oils (even black guys have to wear cam on ops as their skin oil shines), then use *random* strokes of dark brown to break up your faces lines. Dont get all arty, dip your finger tips in the cam and drag it over your face at random.

Back in the day face cam, note its not over the top (its worn off a bit by this point) and its random

I'm wearing a russian leshy suit here as its far more practical for airsofting than a ghillie but the hat im wearing is the bush hat mentioned earlier. Note i've used the leshy suits gloves to break up the shape of the sa80. You need to cam your rifle too as it stands out a mile.

Personal cam after coming off an exercise on a training course, it's worn off a bit and we were mucking about with the new issue stuff that had lots of colours at the time but note how it goes up our forearms

and a better shot of the ghillie hat

- - - Updated - - -

You'll also note in the last pic 'bad drills' forgot to do my hands as i was wearing gloves.. but a prime example of why you should do can under your gloves.

Comment

We still got issued scrim when I was in, circa 1997-2002? All the kit changed about a year after I left though...

Comment

God thats odd. I was working in stores on light duties in 98 at one point and it just didnt exist on our books in the Staffords.

I imagine some units must have kept it but post 95 it's a rare beast indeed as they started issuing shemaghs shortly afterwards IIRC. I know being annoyed that we bought ours (and norgies) and then they started giving them away.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmph, appears Hatchets site with the ghillie guide is down at the mo. Shame as it was really simple, easy to follow and pretty much pretention free

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

DatJames Find out more about DatJames
                                Working...
                                X