SAS - Black/Blue Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SAS - Black/Blue Kit

Sorry Abbadon i meant pistols that they own.

Snowdrop - i know they dont keep or own what they are issued i meant firearms they have bought them selves.

If they are testing a SCAR for instance then for the duration that they have it then they can use it, if they happen to be given those firearms (the regiment that is) then they can continue to use them on deployment the same as if the regiment wanted to buy them
    Originally posted by ste887
    yes but multicam is the new black
    and black is the new gay

Comment

It is illegal to own any form of pistol in the UK that has a barrel that is less than 30 cm long and has a total length less than 60cm so I think it is pretty safe to say that no SAS troopers own their own pistols.

Even a 10" Deagle doesn't meet the requirements and those are huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
        It is illegal to own any form of pistol in the UK that has a barrel that is less than 30 cm long and has a total length less than 60cm so I think it is pretty safe to say that no SAS troopers own their own pistols.

Even a 10" Deagle doesn't meet the requirements and those are huge.
        I know some one who has a Browning HP and a Colt 45. in his house and is in the regiment
        and black is the new gay

Comment

And my dads best mate was the other guy on the balcony during the Iranian embassy siege.

It is ILLEGAL to own any firearm that has a barrel less 30cm long last time I checked that covered both the 1911 and the Hi power(and every other pistol I can think of). So either way none of the SAS will be able to use their own pistols as it is illegal for them to own them. If it is an illegal weapon I can hardly see their CO signing it off for use on ops.

Back OT, CD what is the Yeoman of Signals vest, looks interesting. I assume its the comms guy for the CRW op but my guess is most likely wrong.

Comment

Having just read the firearms act it does say that a member of Her Majesties armed forces may own a firearm if he/she satifies the requirements from the police chief of the area of residence.

and to be honest even if your dads best mate was the other guy on the balcony it doesnt change the fact that i have been told what iv been told.

at the end of the day i posted on this topic because i have first hand knowledge and some one asked what weapons they use and im simply contributing to that persons question. if you want to disagree then thats fine but im just telling you what i have been told
            and black is the new gay

Comment

Nomex is the way forward, the training coveralls just dont look thick enough.

Comment

Team shots can be found here is anyone is interested:

http://web.me.com/crackingday/OPERAT...IS/PHOTOS.html

Comment

Having read Chris Ryan's The One That Got Away, there was a bit in the book where he mentioned having to put down his bull terrier with his pistol at home because it wasn't too friendly with his newborn...

Comment

Yea the Yeomans vest is for the team signaller, with a spare Cougar and batteries for the team. he would be responsible for ensuring all the radios are coded the same, charged and ready to go.

As for the SAS owning pistols, the same laws apply to them, even down to being told off for having trophies on the mess wall.

They may have had a personal pistol before 1996 and the Dunblane shootings but after that, no way.

They are in the Army not MI5!

Comment

• Re: SAS - Black/Blue Kit

I know they are not MI5 but I'm just telling you what i have been told, what iv seen and what i have read in the firearms act
                      and black is the new gay

Comment

What you have been told is incorrect mate I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by airsoft_ben_1989 View Post

at the end of the day i posted on this topic because i have first hand knowledge and some one asked what weapons they use and im simply contributing to that persons question. if you want to disagree then thats fine but im just telling you what i have been told
                          Erm, that makes it 2nd hand information and if you really do know someone who has a Browning HP and a Colt 45 in their house then it probably is'nt that clever to broadcast it on a public forum.
                          HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

I think a few myths need to be dispelled here.

This information was correct 18 months ago and I cannot verify any changes made since then .

"SAS can use any gun they want" - Whilst the Regiment have a lot more flexibility than mainline units they still can only use what is available to them (in the Squadron armoury)
                            genrally speaking the type of firearms used will be dictated by A -mission, B - sometimes Troop commander, C - to some extent personal preferance of the trooper.

Most members of the regiment are not very interested in latest gun tech etc and will often have a particular weapon they prefer to field unless one of the above factors makes this unreasonable. This is because most troopers set a weapon up how they like it and usually will not have opportunity to test fire or rezero it prior to use in an op.

Troopers do NOT generally have firearms at home and even those on CT rotation will have weapons kept on camp.
                            Members of the regiment are still subject to UK law !

There is not infinate choice of weapons in squadron armouries and although troopers do often get to trial new weapon systems , they are generally given to the teams on CT rotation as they have more range time to test them than other squadrons.

No troop commander would generally be happy to take a new/ virtually unproven weapon system on a live op where the first bullet might be the only one that counts !

If a weapon is fired on missions (aside from active warzones) it will usually be confiscated by the authorities afterwards for forensic testing in case any unlawful shootings occured etc. This is another reason why trial weapons are unlikely to be used on live ops.

Loadcarrying equpment- Although there is issue loadcarrying equipment troopers are fully free to purchase their own loadbearing equipment and use it as long as it fits with mission requirements etc.

Loadcarrying equipment used to be customised on camp by a lovely lady who's name shall not be spoken. It is now more common place for troopers to buy new or customised kit and it is no longer done on camp, but instead purchased from retailers and "certain custom kit tailors"

Uniforms , whilst there is still some scope for kit worn on some ops this is quite a bit stricter than it used to be (mainly due to current deployments)

I will add to this as and when I can and when I think of other SAS myths to dispel

Comment

If the Force in question have adopted "Kratos" then head shots are trained for.
                              "Momento Te Esse Mortalium"
                              "Im not FAT.....Im HUSKY"

Comment

As far as I'm aware, the perfect take down for most SF is two in the chest, one in the head. But I'm no expert.

Someone mentioned about a SAS/Sig 'base' being down here. There still is.

The MOD guards down here (Portsmouth) use the MP7. I've been told they use hollow point rounds to avoid hitting bystanders. The guy who told me was far from official, so my word isn't gospel.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

N_Scooby Find out more about N_Scooby
                                Working...
                                X