Russian City Guard/Winter Troop Loadout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian City Guard/Winter Troop Loadout

Ok guys, first foray into a loadout that is aimed at ANYTHING really!

Let me state a couple of things first off. Im not trying to recreate actual regiments/troops/brigades/squadrons/anything else like that. Though the uniform is based off pictures and videos of real troops, its not an attempt to copy like for like.

What Ive thrown together is a simple Russian Palace/City guard themed look. Maybe winter troop look. A bit of research shows that most of this kit was worn during world war 2, and mostly by soviet troops. But hey ho!

Some pictures to give a general idea of what im aiming for:

some patches are due to go on it, the following ones:

Non-departmental guards GUVD of Moscow city, with Emblem of Moscow

And one of these on each sleeve:
    These are just plain security force badges.

Heres where a bit of controversy comes in, and I dont wish to start a flame/hate war here, but what is the general opinion on wearing collar rank patches, from units long disbanded? Looking at a couple of collar patches with ranks, specifically these ones (see below). The first are from the communications department of the military, the second, regular troops as far as I can tell, both circa 1960 (Couldnt find any relating to security sadly). However if rank wearing causes offence then obviously these will not be included in the uniform!

Or perhaps these (Lieutenant Colonel):

And heres what Ive got so far:

These last two arent actually part of the loadout, but i thought id see what it looked like with the gas mask on! Its a Finnish MK61 (might be 63, I cant remember) not a russian one.

If anyone has any general suggestions, hints, pointers, clues, etc etc that would help finish this off, it would be greatly appreciated! So far, the total spent has only been £35!

Please remember the comments made at the beginning of the thread though. Lets not make this a flame war of "its shit its not issue equipment/not actual troops/not a down to the last detail loadout"

Yadda yadda yadda!

Thanks

Not a bad go at it bud, though to get the look right try and get a longer, thicker jacket with the same sorta button up as that's a main feature of the uniform. As for rank, go for it as it really enhances the look though I'd keep the rank fairly low though. The only real issue anyone could justify would be existing unit patches and the like. Though personally in my opinion people get to much of a hold up on it as really airsofters who imitate real units are really complemening the unit they are copying if they are taking the time and cash to replicate them properly and not trying to say they are actually a member of said unit.

Comment

Re: Russian City Guard/Winter Troop Loadout

yeah, the coat was a bit tricky. especially finding something that had the right look, and wasnt near enough £100 :P its the button part thats off slightly. perhaps a redo of that area with new buttons is in order!

Comment

There is a surplus shop near me that has real Russian great coats, will only set you back about £20-30.

I will drop you a PM with the address.

Comment

thanks for that Abbadon, New coat is on the list once I have the cash! The only thing that concerns me with replacing the coat is that I was planning on having my sidearm inside the coat, and would reach down through the top of it to draw it. Obviously the other style of coat would render this plan a little useless! Ideas?

Should I be good to go after that then? the only other thing I can think of is an AK sling, but those are a little pricey. Will have to start hunting on here for one.

P.S. Ignore the laser strapped to the AK, its temporary for a CQB game ill be trying this loadout at!

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
            New coat is on the list once I have the cash! The only thing that concerns me with replacing the coat is that I was planning on having my sidearm inside the coat, and would reach down through the top of it to draw it. Obviously the other style of coat would render this plan a little useless! Ideas?
            You could always cut one of the pockets out and use is as a reach in for a belt holster.

Comment

that is a good idea! Will give that a go. My attempt feels foolish now lol! :P

Comment

I know you said you're not going for a particular unit but are you going for any particular era? The hat suggests cold war and fits with the kind of 'guard' look you're going for.
                However the pictures you posted are WWII which is a bit different. Also most of the soldiers in pics you posted probably aren't Russian. Those in first picture are Soviet troops but only guy at the front in the last pic is, others are Germans and I think the guys in the 2nd picture are Finnish.

The Ushanka you have is a navy one so why not go for a navy look with a black greatcoat? Russian/Soviet ones can be picked up fairly easily- much smarter than the bog standard army one and generally cheaper than an officers one. A navy belt would look good too.

AK slings aren't expensive either. Soviet ones can be had for about £10, East German ones even less

Comment

Is it navy? I was told it was navy, but have seen it listed elsewhere as other things!

Any decent looking coat would be good. Was tempted to make the hour and a half drive to go pick one up from the sabre shop in Portsmouth. Bit silly though. Don't know of any decent stockists of that sorta kit near me!

Comment

Love the look so far been looking into a similar loadout myself.
                    One thing i would say is the AK looks too clean, could do with a bit of wear...

Comment

Hahahaha. Brand new weapons issued? :D I don't want to ruin my guns hahaha!

Comment

Haha, fair enough. Personal preference i guess.

Comment

Haha. Hopefully after this evening I will have a fixed up skorpion to go with this as well

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                            Should I be good to go after that then? the only other thing I can think of is an AK sling, but those are a little pricey. Will have to start hunting on here for one.
                            Z1 sell a "genuine" AK sling for about £6, Ive got one on my AK-74 and it looks the bees knees, all canvas and leather goodness! Although it did require a bit of bodging to get it to fit on mine, the problem I had was the front sling loop on my AK was far too small, so I attached one of those keyring loops/grenade ring pulls to it and looped it on that.

I think the main problem youre going to have in this loadout is that unless youre skirmishing in Siberia you're going to overheat and die! :eek: Perhaps a better idea would be something like the russian guard soldiers from Goldeneye? That look would be easy enough to re-create and less chance of heatstroke! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
                              Z1 sell a "genuine" AK sling for about £6, Ive got one on my AK-74 and it looks the bees knees, all canvas and leather goodness! Although it did require a bit of bodging to get it to fit on mine, the problem I had was the front sling loop on my AK was far too small, so I attached one of those keyring loops/grenade ring pulls to it and looped it on that.

I think the main problem youre going to have in this loadout is that unless youre skirmishing in Siberia you're going to overheat and die! :eek: Perhaps a better idea would be something like the russian guard soldiers from Goldeneye? That look would be easy enough to re-create and less chance of heatstroke! :D
                              Thanks! I'll get one from them then!

Will have to have a look at the goldeneye guards. Don't they just wear grey shirt and trousers or something? Can't remember off the top of my head!

I don't usually get too hot! I'll be just wearing a vest under here haha. No buttoned shirt or anything like that! I usually tend to play a little slower anyway. Less running and more slow walking hip firing with this outfit I think!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X