Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing of replacement parts

Hey,
    I've got part SCAR-71 (stock latch) on order from Zero One (thank you kindly), but parts from TM have an indefinite wait time. Could be a few months until it gets here.

So, I went down to the local shop and they had a TM Scar on display, and they kindly let me strip the part out and measure it. I've just placed the order today, and I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but in the mean time I was just wondering if anyone else has 3D printed anything for their gun?

https://tinkercad.com/things/lBGyNfRJa4U

Re: 3D Printing of replacement parts

I've not used one myself yet but my mate and I have been looking at making a reprap or a makerbot for them little parts that are difficult to get hold of.
    Once the new house and dog are sorted I'll start puttin some money aside!
    Be good to see what the results look and work like!
    . .

Comment

I don't know about the 3D printer in question. But as I understand it, 3D printing is meant to make models, ea. so you can see it in (real) 3D before you put it into production. In other words the items created are not actually meant to be used and will be too fragile.

Having that said, you never know, would be great if it works! Let us know how it turns out!
      my toygun is better than your toygun

wtb: kwa atp auto, kwa atp ptp

Comment

Not knowing what that part is, I can't comment on the suitability of the process. However, I can say that some of the RP processes can produce "usable" models within reason.

As for the makerbot:I'm not sure that'd be suitable for "small parts" you mention, as IIRC the resolution is quite low.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
          Not knowing what that part is, I can't comment on the suitability of the process. However, I can say that some of the RP processes can produce "usable" models within reason.

As for the makerbot:I'm not sure that'd be suitable for "small parts" you mention, as IIRC the resolution is quite low.
          Yeah, i'm not using a makerbot. Tinkercad is an easy 3D modeling system, I just made it in that and then exported to Shapeways, who have better quality printers.

The initial print was £16, and that was made of a non-flexible materiel, with a minimum detail resolution of 0.44mm. Assuming it works, I can use that just to check the size/shape of the part is correct, and then (hopefully) give the same design to a local company to CNC one out of metal so it would be a bit stronger.

It takes a bit of time to make the part, so it should ship at the end of the month.

Comment

You can 3d print with metal but the strength of it im unsure of. My mate has access to one, i might ask if i can make a metal hop unit and post the results.

Originally posted by tisane
            Never heard such a racket, its like taking a hi cap to a rave.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderfury View Post
              You can 3d print with metal but the strength of it im unsure of. My mate has access to one, i might ask if i can make a metal hop unit and post the results.
              Problem with 3D metal printing is that once printed it is VERY soft and crumbly. It's only after the print has been transferred to the oven that it's OK.
              A hop up may be better suited to high strength plastic printing.

Comment

I work in a company that uses 3d printing at hertel it's strong but when you put into the oven becomes stronger because the composites bond and the glue hardens
                if you dont bleed you know our not trying hard enough!!

Comment

An update on this!
                  Using this model that I made from measurements: https://tinkercad.com/things/lBGyNfRJa4U
                  Manufactured by Shapeways using their Aluminide compound.
                  Cost £16 inc vat and shipping
                  Seems strong enough, but I won't really know until I get the gun back from the workshop to try it.
                  They do note that their prints should be considered as decorative use only, but it seems ok. If not, I can always give the model to someone with a CNC machine once I know if it fits.

Comment

FYI. That part would be a complete pig to machine from solid.
                    I'd go as far as to say you couldn't get it exactly like that with a CNC mill. Casting, yes. CNC milling, no.
                    The sharp corners at the end of the slots on the side, and the shaped "hole" inside, would need to be compromised for CNC machining to be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                      FYI. That part would be a complete pig to machine from solid.
                      I'd go as far as to say you couldn't get it exactly like that with a CNC mill. Casting, yes. CNC milling, no.
                      The sharp corners at the end of the slots on the side, and the shaped "hole" inside, would need to be compromised for CNC machining to be possible.
                      Thanks for that. I'll certainly look into all the options if it doesn't turn out to be strong enough. I only mentioned CNC as it's the one I know most about (although that's still not much :p )

Comment

That looks excellent! Do shapeways print in anything a bit higher-strength?

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                          That looks excellent! Do shapeways print in anything a bit higher-strength?
                          They can do actual metal. That is very strong, but can't do as small details as it's very weak before it's cured in an oven. It couldn't be used for my shape as there are details smaller than 1mm. It's also expensive! I used Alumide which has a minimum wall thickness of 1.5mm and minimum detail of 0.4mm.
                          They also have Acryllic Polymers which are stronger than Alumide but are flexible so aren't too suited for what I needed.
                          http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Comment

That's the "problem" with the technology as it stands. It's called "rapid prototyping" for a reason.
                            It's meant to be used, as Ajhayter is doing, to test 3D data for fit, and/or aesthetics before the part is made out of more suitable materials.

Casting, etc. are quicker for production, but if the part is only fractionally out, costly tooling would need to be remade. Rapid prototyping reduces the time, and some expense, of trial-and-error.

And the ones that work in full colour can make mock-ups of products very quickly compared to other methods.

Comment

That's brilliant. I may have to give that a try to get some parts made for a G43 I'm making...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ajhayter Rookie Airsofter, regular motorcylist, avid gamer! Find out more about Ajhayter
                              Working...
                              X