Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3D Printing of replacement parts

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
    That's the "problem" with the technology as it stands. It's called "rapid prototyping" for a reason.
    It's meant to be used, as Ajhayter is doing, to test 3D data for fit, and/or aesthetics before the part is made out of more suitable materials.
    Maybe 10 years ago, It's now called Rapid Manufacture or Additive manufacture for a reason Your full colour one sounds like a Z-corp which is a powder printer, SLS Nylon and steel are whole other ball game.
    "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
      That's the "problem" with the technology as it stands. It's called "rapid prototyping" for a reason.
      It's meant to be used, as Ajhayter is doing, to test 3D data for fit, and/or aesthetics before the part is made out of more suitable materials.
      On the smaller scale and cheaper machines and materials sure, but as with any technology is scales up.

Hell they can 3D print bits of airplane now:
      http://gizmodo.com/5841449/why-yes-m...tag=3dprinting

Comment

There's even some high-end dental practices using this technology, combined with facial CAT scans and CAD/CAM software, to make dentures and other dental prosthetics in one (VERY expensive) sitting.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
          There's even some high-end dental practices using this technology, combined with facial CAT scans and CAD/CAM software, to make dentures and other dental prosthetics in one (VERY expensive) sitting.
          Dentures, dental prosthetics and the entire lower half of your face :p
          http://gizmodo.com/5882549/how-a-3d+...oman-eat-again

Comment

Originally posted by Ajhayter View Post
            Dentures, dental prosthetics and the entire lower half of your face :p
            http://gizmodo.com/5882549/how-a-3d+...oman-eat-again
            Nice one.

I've passed this on to my wife, but I bet I get told it's old news for dentists. I was impressed anyway!
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much for this thread mate! I've just ordered some stuff (non airsoft related :P)
              Its pretty awesome what you can make and especially for the price!

Comment

For some reason I can't get tinkercad to work (would've been perfect for what I needed to do) and sketchup apparently isn't a supported program, which is a shame since I've made a bad-ass G43 bolt carrier on it... Looks like I'm going to have to make a model myself and take it to someone with a CNC machine OR get a design done of it on some proper software and sent to someone with a 3D printer.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrolpointman View Post
                  For some reason I can't get tinkercad to work (would've been perfect for what I needed to do) and sketchup apparently isn't a supported program, which is a shame since I've made a bad-ass G43 bolt carrier on it... Looks like I'm going to have to make a model myself and take it to someone with a CNC machine OR get a design done of it on some proper software and sent to someone with a 3D printer.
                  *ahem* http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/s...o_stl_tutorial

Comment

A-ha! Thanks mate

Comment

Unfortunately it still doesn't want to save as an .stl file in meshlab, no selection for it. So yeh, back to square one.

Comment

Easy to machine. Just time consuming. Price wise CNC milling for a local company to do a 1 off of the sample above your looking would be a fair bit.
                        3 Axis CNC your looking at 2 op's with round sunken side grooves, which could be functional for what your using it for. Otherwise it would be 4.

4 set ups, 3 program's, and about 2 hours of a decent machinists time setting tools, datum's, programming, running.

The employee would be on £15 an hour.
                        That's £30 to cover wages + 2 hours machine time + company profit = Lots of cash monnies for a airsoft part.

Comment

Hmm. I once quoted someone £30ish for me to manually machine him a custom TM Uzi suppressor adaptor. He said he thought that was a bit much, so I asked the machine shop at work to quote for the same part. Their answer was £165!

Comment

Exactly. One off parts don't come cheap. Your best to get a few made and try to sell them off, that way you recover some of the initial set-up cost. Just a matter of if there is a demand for them (properly not as someone would of jumped on it already)

Comment

Oh wow.

Well the 3D print seems very strong. Once I get my gun back from the workshop I'll fit it and see. Maybe I won't need a metal one (the original is plastic after all).

It's either that or I need to get very friendly with someone with access to metalworking tools :p

Comment

I would probably be able to machine that for you if the 3D print doesn't hold up very well.

I couldn't guarantee a quick turnaround as where I work is extremely busy at the moment though.
                                Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's gotta have one.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ajhayter Rookie Airsofter, regular motorcylist, avid gamer! Find out more about Ajhayter
                                Working...
                                X