3D Printing of replacement parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3D Printing of replacement parts

Haha! Got sketchup to save as STL files- had to download a plugin for it. Does mean I have to design the entire bolt carrier again though as it won't let me save what I've already done as a .stl... There's a company in the UK called (funnily enough) 3dprintuk who can print in ABS plastic so if the part you have printed already isn't strong enough, give them a go.

Comment

Asked my boss today about this. Explained the design and he said 2 hours would be pushing it. But if it did take 2 hours they would charge £70.

Fair bit for a replacement airsoft part eh? On the other hand could be made out of duraheat 316 and last you and several others a lifetime...

Comment

Originally posted by LazyMcCrazy View Post
        Asked my boss today about this. Explained the design and he said 2 hours would be pushing it. But if it did take 2 hours they would charge £70.

Fair bit for a replacement airsoft part eh? On the other hand could be made out of duraheat 316 and last you and several others a lifetime...
        Well certainly IF the printed part doesn't turn out to be strong enough I will look into other options. CNC was just one that I knew about.
        I'll ask around on the forums should that be the case.

Comment

Id be able to do it for you if i get one on one time with a CNC at work (jobs are stacking up atm though)

Absolute ball ache drawing up the part though.
          Do you know the internal diameter of the upper or lower circle + taper angle to make life easier?

Comment

Originally posted by LazyMcCrazy View Post
            Id be able to do it for you if i get one on one time with a CNC at work (jobs are stacking up atm though)

Absolute ball ache drawing up the part though.
            Do you know the internal diameter of the upper or lower circle + taper angle to make life easier?
            I can certainly find out, but I'll wait until I get the gun back and I can check it out before looking into that further.
            Thanks for the info.

Comment

Re: 3D Printing of replacement parts (MP9 fixed stock)

Hi Guys,

I am interested in getting a fixed stock printed for my KWA MP9, like the one in the picture attached.

Does anyone own one of these or know someone that does? If so, would you be able to provide accurate measurments and pictures of how it attaches to the gun? I really want to get this stock to finish off my MP9!

Or if you are willing to sell it, that would be better!

Any general advice on getting something printed would also be massively appreciated.
              Thanks guys
              Langers78
              Attached Files

Comment

That's some necropost right there!

The first thing to note is that 3D printed material is unlikely to be strong enough to withstand the compressive forces you'll be putting on the stock as you shoulder the gun. I would imagine that the real thing is made from polymer or FRP, which (other than aluminium) I reckon are the only realistic things you would want to make such an item out of. I personally would dismiss the idea of 3D printing it and then using it in skirmishes - it will not survive if you make it out 3D-printed plastic.

As you already know, the image you've linked is of the Brügger & Thomet TP9 carbine, which I think comes as standard with the BT-30189 fixed stock. The fixed stock is listed as an accessory for the TP9 series; why don't you try buying it from B&T themselves, or one of their dealers? They're a European company so you shouldn't have any difficulty with ITAR or anything like that. Ordinarily I'd refer you to DSArms (their American dealer) but AR15.com threads suggest that they won't sell it separately. Could still be worth a try. Alternatively, you might be able to modify stocks intended for the TP9's predecessor (the TMP) which look very similar and were produced for KSC/KWA TMP/SPPs.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                  That's some necropost right there!

The first thing to note is that 3D printed material is unlikely to be strong enough to withstand the compressive forces you'll be putting on the stock as you shoulder the gun. I would imagine that the real thing is made from polymer or FRP, which (other than aluminium) I reckon are the only realistic things you would want to make such an item out of. I personally would dismiss the idea of 3D printing it and then using it in skirmishes - it will not survive if you make it out 3D-printed plastic.
                  For some parts this may be true, but 3D printed items can be printed in steel as well.

Also, I went to a design convention with college a while back and got a freebie, a small pot about 15mm x 15mm x 30mm which was hollow with a 2mm wall. I stood on it and it didn't break, supporting 11 stone!

I'm going to print a new selector plate our for my Masada and see how it goes.
                  IF YOU HAVE ANY L7A2 GPMG PARTS FOR SALE PLEASE MESSAGE ME

Comment

Yeah, but if you print it in steel it might outweigh the MP9 itself. I can only speak from experience with ShapeWays' stuff (which is what Langers78 would use) and their laser-sintered nylon (the only plastic material rated as 'strong') is definitely too flexible to be used in a stock under compression loads.

That said, good luck with the selector plate (and maybe finding out what the wonder-material is and telling us); the more parts printed, the less we have to rely on usually-shitty OEM parts support...

Comment

To chip in, while I eventually managed to get a replacement OEM part, the 3D Printed part held up well. As noted though it was not under force in normal usage as a stock latch..

Comment

Wouldn't a real steel one be cheaper than a strong-enough printed one?

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                          I can't speak for the others but I can't find a real steel version of the stock I'm after. I'd gladly get one if I could find one.

Langers78

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                            In my case, yes. An original Marui formed plastic part is stronger than the alumide-infused plastic 3D print, and also didn't require any filing down to get. It did however, take several months to eventually get hold of one (thanks ZeroOne, that backorder lasted a good long while).

In general a properly machined or formed part will be stronger than a 3D print, but a 3D print is often substantially cheaper to make yourself. In my case the Marui part only cost £10 compared to the £16 printed part, but it too so long to get, and is only cheap because Marui can make them in a large batch. For individuals 3D printing is going to be cheaper, and will normally be strong-enough, if not what you would traditionally call strong.

The huge advantage of 3D printing comes from hard-to-source parts, discontinued parts, custom made parts, or parts that are not under stress and as such don't need the very very best toughness.
                            http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=airsoft&s=0

Also remember that if your "strong-enough" part does happen to break, you can always print another one.

Comment

In terms of strength some people are doing 3D prints in super nickel alloy and Iv been watching a documentary on a guy in America developing a printed AR-15 lower receiver (real not airsoft) and he is doing pretty well, it started off only lasting a few rounds all the way to the point that it was doing well over 600 rounds and that was a few years ago so I'm sure his development is doing far better now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Holy mother of Zeus' beard!

Now we have the technology to print guns...... The world is now screwed.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ajhayter Rookie Airsofter, regular motorcylist, avid gamer! Find out more about Ajhayter
                                Working...
                                X