Buying second hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying second hand

Well, 99 percent of the time I buy new and with thirty RIFs and another two on the way this really isn't about me, this is about what I consider the piss takers in our midst who seem to think they can charge stupid amounts for second hand products.

I don't want to start finger pointing, so there will be no names mentioned but I wanted to post what I have always been told about selling second hand and would like to hear your thoughts.

I was always told and have always told others that you should expect to charge and receive around 40-50% of the original price plus postage costs and paypal fees. So if you bought a gun new for £300, you should expect to get £150 plus around £10-15 for postage and £12 for paypal fees. Giving you a grand total of between £172 and £177.

The same pricing applies to parts and accessories, labour costs for any upgrades carried out by a tech should be factored into the price of the upgrade part, example TBB £36, fitting £8 = £44, then you apply the 50% rule.

Now obvioulsy there are exceptions to this rule and certain weapons are collectable, which is why we really have an appraisals forum.

Expecting people however to pay £500 for a gun they could buy brand new at £250 is frankly taking the piss.

Obviously we have no right to tell people what to charge but I do believe that as people of good consience we do have a responsibility to let other know what they should expect to pay for second hand items.

The term second hand by the way refers to anything that has previously been used or owned by another, so litterally the minute you receive it and open it, the item is second hand.

Re: Buying second hand

I always reckoned on a 60-70% rule myself, as not everything drops in value by half straight away. I know where you're coming from on this thread though, as some people's asking prices are ludicrous.

Edit: Just as an afterthought; What really tickles me is when people cobble a gun together out of spare parts, change the hop rubber and call it "Custom".

No, it's bodged, not custom!
    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Here here... although i tend to be a bit more generous and look to nearer 60%

(i much prefer you figures though - except when selling, obviously)

And while we are on the subject, the nickel and dimers....... they wind me up too.

Item cost £20 new.
      Being sold for £7 all inclusive.

"would you do it for £6?"

NO - sod off!

Comment

Same issue with people writing crap about "really rare" stuff, that isn't. I can think of one example on here of someone trying to charge 25 quid each for heavily used magazines using that "reason" when I know damn well I can pick them up for 20 quid new in the UK.

Comment

Let's try and keep this civil chap, we managed the TW vs AEG thread well enough.

So no linking or even hints at peoples particular threads or even naming them. Other than that go for it

Comment

Originally posted by blytm View Post
            Let's try and keep this civil chap, we managed the TW vs AEG thread well enough.

So no linking or even hints at peoples particular threads or even naming them. Other than that go for it
            Permission to moan granted.

"maximising the anger setting and are green light with the rage and annoyance"

"Errr, Zero In, we have a problem..."

Comment

Perhaps I was overly frugal with the 50% rule, perhaps 60% is more accurate.

Loki, I am in total agreement with you, although I myself have been known to try and get a couple of quid off when I'm strapped for cash.

In general though we have people who are extremely generous with thier pricing and could do with uping it a bit and other who quite frankly need thier heads seeing to with thier overinflated prices.

Comment

The polar opposite of the zany prices some people fancifully charge, are the good guys of airsoft. Those who are happy to give bits and bobs, spare parts and kit to those in need. This often includes guns and time-consuming work.

So, as much as we all raise an eyebrow at the "Rare" or "Custom upgraded" tat every day. We should applaud the unsung gentlemen of the sport.
                There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Getting a couple of quid off big items is to be expected. Trying to knock a pound off something that is already bargain.....

And low balls...... Item would cost £160 new. For sale at £60 in full working order..... "will you take £35 for it?"

"Yeah sure, and i'll drive it from Germany on the Eurostar too. What size chest are you buddy? I'll be wearing a nice shirt in case you're interested in that too"

EDIT: BAMF, you're killing my angry buzz with this nice guy stuff. I get them to promise they will drop a couple of quid into a Poppy Appeal tin. One guy went so far as to make a donation online and email me the receipt as proof he'd kept his word.

Comment

I get that sorta thing at work (I'm a pawnbroker). You make them an offer and they proceed to tell you that they paid £xxxx for this diamond ring whereas i probably couldnt sell it for half of that.

People think that because someone has charged you an amount it's worth that.
                    Upcoming Games:
                    None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                    Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

pretty new to the scene as far as buying rifs, but from what i have gathered not just from this forum but others to, that some brands seem to hold there vale better of the top of my head systema and tokyo marui seem to hold there value well

but i have noticed most of the guns in the classified ads do start high but soon drop down when they don't get any takers.
                      sigpic
                      Take Your Hit

Comment

But on the other side of the coin there are the appraisals that people give out that blatantly take the mick!!

What was it £300 for a KWA MP7 4 mags, Eotech, surefire clone, NPAS all boxed and skirmish ready?

Makes me think sometimes that people's sole reason for appraising items is to bag themselves a deal.

And yes I've seen some utterly stupid prices for things, L85 DD RIS springs to mind, £130 for a "rare" Hornbill RIS that is "no longer sold" I felt compelled to PM the seller and inform him that if they were so rare then why we're they still sold by the Chinese company, and could be in the country for less and with a full WE or ICS conversion kit!

Personally I think removing 40-50% of an items value regardless is a bit harsh though, there is more to look at than that, the seller might have had the item less than 24hrs and not fired a single shot, it could be a very desirable item....etc...etc

Comment

see, im on both sides of this....

if its something i like, and ive put a lot of effort into, ill charge 60% roughly of new price.....

BUT. if i have something that someone needs (admit it guys, we all have a box of random parts that we have no idea where they came from!) ill do it for postage costs if i dont need it.

id like to think people would do the same for me.

Comment

Originally posted by javaoverride View Post
                            pretty new to the scene as far as buying rifs, but from what i have gathered not just from this forum but others to, that some brands seem to hold there vale better of the top of my head systema and tokyo marui seem to hold there value well

but i have noticed most of the guns in the classified ads do start high but soon drop down when they don't get any takers.
                            That's the thing, you can tell the tat, bad sellers or dreamers from miles away as they are the sellers with, 100s of bumps on their items.

I don't think I've ever asked for an appraisal, probably because I usually sell my items for what I need, not what I want :D

I'm also more than happy to chuck the odd spare part people's way to help a fellow softer in need, it's usually the items that are worth less than the cost of posting...lol

Comment

There's a guy I know who has been a little strapped for cash, like a lot of us, myself included who just needed a few bits to get his AEG up and running again. Shortly before Christmas I put out a general call to help me get some sights for my P226, Heroshark generously posted them for me and gave them to me for free and all he asked for in return was that I pass on the love. Well anyway, this fella needed a couple of bits, today I have posted him a complete gearbox, motor, foregrip and couple of other bits at no charge except the postage.

We don't need to be greedy, I felt better today about giving this guy my bits for free than I ever would about ripping someone of thier hard earned cash.

Pass on the love people and no I'm no bloody hippy!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X