X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Self aware sentry gun

Originally posted by Gee123 View Post
    Hello Gents

My company does a fair bit of work for Military Contracts, and we have just finished a side project, which is a fully self aware sentry gun for airsoft use, this will able to be deployed in the field and then left, it will scan and hunt for targets, then engage them automatically due to threat levels.
    It is going through its testing stage due to be released very soon ( This Year ).

I have been asked to post this thread to guage feedback from the actual players, as it will be for you the player!.

Your comments Please.

My comments please? okay

Bullsh*t ...x10

What company is this that does "military contracts" and dont be all like "well i cant tell you because i signed a MOD hush hush contract" because then Ill know you deffo bullsh*tting because i have actually done military contract work that built the foxhound vehicles.

So...

pics or it didnt happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
      People cheat setry gun or no, and if the sentry's used to block a pathway then passing through alive would be evidence of cheating.
      It depends what RIF is used as a base for the gun, if was a PTW you wouldn't be safe anywhere in the arena, let alone a pathway! ;-)

Comment

also there is the video feed that its getting its information from its hard to say you wasn't hit when your being recorded

if the video was good quality then you could get it to disengage once it detects a player is hit so there wouldn't be any over kill and even if you fell over (which am sure would end up on UBF) you would only be hit the once.
        sigpic
        Take Your Hit

Comment

I like the concept.
          Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Originally posted by javaoverride View Post
            the coding wouldn't be to hard and you could use a kinect as the SDK contains the API for gesture recognition already so it would be extreamly simple for it not to fire at anyone with a raised arm and there are plenty of ways to get it to only fire on enemy targets
            In theory yes, in reality? probably not, the sensor on the kinect isn't accurate enough to differentiate between a tree branch and someones arm.
            Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

Whilst its something that I would be happy to play alongside(or against!), its not something Id personally buy.

To be honest, it all seems a bit...well....fake. If it was real, the thread starter would have used a much more appropiate word than "self aware" to describe it. "Automated" would be a better word to use.

I think in this case, its "pics or it didnt happen".

Comment

It isn't the sentry concept that is the issue here, as others have said, this has been talked about before and we've seen the vids etc.

It is this bit from the OP:

...which is a fully self aware sentry gun for airsoft use, this will able to be deployed in the field and then left, it will scan and hunt for targets, then engage them automatically due to threat levels
                This suggests autonomy. Not insurable/advisable for most sites, I'd imagine. Even if it would be cool. Which it would.
                Originally posted by palmer234
                Swerve talks sense. I like him.
                Originally posted by Robin-Hood
                Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

Whats the cost on one of these from an actual company going to be?

The Mini guns come in at £3.5k then £65 for the battery.

Anyone knows that a true sentry gun has to be based on a Mini gun (or 2)

Add to this the cost of...

Laptop to run the program
                  Sensors
                  cables
                  Camera
                  Servos
                  extra materials like metal and perspex to protect laptop and sensitive components and build the base/stand

Just a quick estimate puts the price of one at £4-4.5k That's if you do it cheap and only use 1 Mini gun.

That's well out of the price range for airsofter's, and as automated as it is I would stand over and keep watch of my £4.5k investment just in case some one gets jealous or completely arsey and damages it.Thus negating the point in an automated sentry.

Comment

Re: sentry gun

This sentry has a the ability to fit house most airsoft guns to its frame, it is programmed to fire in short bursts not fully auto.

There is also be a disable plate, and a kill switch on the back, this increases and promotes team play, as you have to work your way around it, as a TEAM, trying to drawits fire, for a member to work around it and hit the kill switch at the back, to disable it.

Or

A good shot can hit the disable plate on the front, at range and power it down from there, for members to pass.

Please remember it is a sentry and is designed that when set up its job is to protect whatever is behind it, From EVERYONE,
                    if you went through a door and set a trip wire to a mine, that also detonates indiscriminately for the next person walking through friend or foe.

This is for Defence of an area, if your Team knows where it is, after all its your equipment, then you will know to come back on another tangent, walking directly in its line of sight is just plain Stupid.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
                      Laptop to run the program
                      Sensors
                      cables
                      Camera
                      Servos
                      extra materials like metal and perspex to protect laptop and sensitive components and build the base/stand
                      Or you use a prototyping logic board and skip the need for a computer altogether.

Arduino based you're looking at probably no more than £150-200.

Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

used laptop
                        a cheap camera with a tilt and pan function
                        an airsoft mech box and inner barrel
                        a mirco controller and servo to pull the trigger
                        some thing to make the case from

id say you could pull off a really nice looking concept for under £250

==========Beaten to it by giantkiwi==========
                        Last edited by javaoverride; 31 January, 2013, 17:29. Reason: Beaten to it
                        sigpic
                        Take Your Hit

Comment

I'd get hit by it and hang back the first game.

Then I'd (after a quick trip to the safe zone) return with flashbangs and .3s, and pour fire into the thing until it shut down.

Works with non-hit takers, might work on a robot.
                          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                            I'd get hit by it and hang back the first game.

Then I'd (after a quick trip to the safe zone) return with flashbangs and .3s, and pour fire into the thing until it shut down.

Works with non-hit takers, might work on a robot.

nuke.jpg
                            Originally posted by palmer234
                            Swerve talks sense. I like him.
                            Originally posted by Robin-Hood
                            Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

lol
                              self aware robot

also I don't see the point to it, you may as well just set a marshal up and tell them to inform anybody who walks within a certain area is dead.
                              It's a lot cheaper than a sensing sentry gun.
                              also are you sure you're meant to be divulging information of that nature?

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Originally posted by Gee123 View Post
                                Hello Gents

My company does a fair bit of work for Military Contracts, and we have just finished a side project, which is a fully self aware sentry gun for airsoft use, this will able to be deployed in the field and then left, it will scan and hunt for targets, then engage them automatically due to threat levels.
                                It is going through its testing stage due to be released very soon ( This Year ).

not sure about the posters but a good example of one is here
                                used laptop
                                a cheap camera with a tilt and pan function
                                an airsoft mech box and inner barrel
                                a mirco controller and servo to pull the trigger
                                some thing to make the case from

id say you could pull off a really nice looking concept for under £250
                                The OP states that it is Due to be released this year, to me that indicates that they plan to reproduce them in quantity.

That one in the vid looks like crap that can be knocked together by most people,and I sure as hell wouldn't buy one as it looks like an angry bird table.

I agree that one could be made cheap with second hand parts and that looks very basic, But if a company is producing these I don't expect each one to be knocked together out of old plywood and the insides of an ancient Dell, with nothing more than a £5 webcam and a crappy AEG stuck inside it.

No one here would buy a Zero-one PVC plumbing pipe home made AEG with bits of old pc inside it.

If it doesn't look like these I'm not interested, If it Does look like these I probably can't afford them anyway

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gee123 Find out more about Gee123
                                Working...
                                X