A sniping innovation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A sniping innovation?

This is an interesting read, though like many I have serious concerns about the legality let alone the range issue.

It might be accurate as hell but if it can only travel 30m then what is the point? I'm getting kills out to a decent range as it is, so why would I spend all the cash?

If he can make it work and does achieve the kind of ranges he's suggesting I will be more interested.

Sadly we have to remember that Airsoft is simply a dying sport, it will never get accepted by the public. A huge restructuring of how the basic principles of it work may be too much for the "intelligent" powers that be.

I'm also not sure I'd fancy running round with a big revolver....

Initially he seemed to be suggesting that rifling was what was superior about this, is he now going to smooth bore?

Now if he were making a 6.03 barrel from bronze that I could fit into my vsr with no issues. I'd be the first to buy one.
    Andy
    Originally posted by Coz
    Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
      Sadly we have to remember that Airsoft is simply a dying sport, it will never get accepted by the public. Andy
      Bit grim.
      Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team
      "I love this sport because after you've shot the same guy in the head 5 times in one game, you'll still walk over and laughingly shake hands like old friends at the end of it"
      www.youtube.com/user/RoguePlank/videos

Comment

Originally posted by RoguePlank View Post
        Bit grim.
        But true.
        King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
        https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman View Post
          Also to the bloke who was on about '2-axis' rotation on a BB - that's physically impossible.
          yes, bad terminology there, my mistake - its spherical so it only has 1 axis to rotate on.

What I meant was, if you take the backspin imparted by hop as x-direction and the rotational spin imparted by rifling as y-direction and get a BB rotating in both, so 45 degrees to direction of travel, then you would have elements of both - backspin lift effect and rotational stability, so it would try to maintain its path but lift at the same time. Though im fairly sure that would make the round travel in a large spiral-shaped path dependant on the angle of rotation, similar to how footballers curl or "bend" their shots into the goal around a wall of people (if a footballer could kick hard enough over a long enough distance, the ball would trace a spiral path as it has "2-axis" rotation exactly how i described, imparted by the players foot).

This is also the reason why mythbusters proved you cant bend a bullet like in the film "Wanted" because a shaped projectile only has rotation in the 1 y-axis so cannot alter its trajectory in the same way a bent football can.

This would give you a BB that travels with range similar to hopup and also some rotational stability for accuracy, though the round would follow a spiral path over distance with "coils" tightening depending on the balance between backspin and rotational spin (the forward angle), adjusted as per how we already dial our hopup. I'm sure a sniper would get used to this fairly quickly, like launching a throwing knife correctly so it gets the right number of spins before hitting the target with the point straight forward.

Now, how you would actually manage to impart this bizarre spin onto a BB in an airsoft gun would be quite a challenge i think, but a good starting point would be to add rifling to a normal tightbore airsoft barrel that already has a hop unit, so when fired, the bb gets the hop backspin and then passes through the rifling which imparts rotation through airflow, not contact, so the BB doesnt lose much power from friction (the BB would still drop freely through the barrel, whereas a real bullet wont actually drop down the barrel of a real gun because the rifling actively cuts into the bullet as it is forced down the barrel when fired).

I should probably contact the guy with this idea so he has a backup plan to try, can anyone pm me an email address or link to the discussion of this on the other forum, ive not seen it.

Cheers, Plank
          "I love this sport because after you've shot the same guy in the head 5 times in one game, you'll still walk over and laughingly shake hands like old friends at the end of it"

Comment

Plank - TK Twist barrels have rifling that do just that, and the accuracy increase is neither here nor there in most setups.

Comment

Make it look like the KAC revolver rifle and I'll buy one whether it only shoots 10ft or not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Keeper of Secrets View Post
                All this. 60m might be ott though.
                60m is probably JUST attainable with a 0.25 at 330fps with a good hop unit (TM M14 im looking at you here) and firefly rubber. Not accurate at that range by any means though.

The reason you don't get 60m is because you fit all my shite, dry, cracked old hop rubbers that I replace and give you as payment for building my guns to do 60m :D

Also as stated re the rifling effect... Sometimes the TK twist barrels do see bbs spiralling out of the end, which is weird to play with. you don't end up swerving shots over barricades, you just end up wondering why you didn't spend the money on a perfectly good smooth tightbore instead.
                Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                  Plank - TK Twist barrels have rifling that do just that, and the accuracy increase is neither here nor there in most setups.
                  :-OOO

Comment

If it works I think it would be a great idea, I have thought about this myself before and wondered about legalities?

For the people saying about pointed projectiles, they could be moulded with a rounded nose.

And as for chrono, why not just chrono with this 'new round'? As that's the object been fired it would be better to have some in .2?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by fangsnatcher View Post
                    We'll have to see how it all works out in the real world. I think one of the guys over the pond knocked a round up on a 3d printer and using a ballistics program of some sort with more encouraging results but requiring a degree of aiming high. One idea being discussed was having grooves down the side of the round to impart spin.
                    I would going to suggest this but obviously you have thought about this too haha
                    sigpic

Comment

• Re: A sniping innovation?

TK twist barrel don't spin the bb they create an air chanel
                      Reformed Pacifist

Comment

• Re: A sniping innovation?

Originally posted by wildething View Post
                        TK twist barrel don't spin the bb they create an air chanel
                        Which, in practice, spins the light little bb and makes it spiral. Oddly, not every shot though.

Perhaps someone will tell me I am setting it up wrong, they are supposed to be very picky about fps. But that's why they are such a waste of time - madbull black python will do the job better and much, MUCH more consistently
                        Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

• An update from the builder about the sniper project

A new sniper rifle: This rifle will be using a finned round that feeds from a magazine. It will be a semi-auto because right now I have not finalized a design for a HPA bolt system. This gun starts as a UAR and then gets heavily modded to look very much like a DTA rifle. I am having trouble uploading pics.

The new round: I turned one today that will probably be the final design. It has a domed nose, tapers in the middle and then has a small skirt with air grooves.
                          There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fangsnatcher 43 year old ex army staff sergeant rediscovering my love of running about and shooting people Find out more about fangsnatcher
                          Working...
                          X