Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chat box

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
    If you need to talk to someone 1 to 1 on here, thats what PMs are for surely? Or if you need a quicker more drawn out conversation, send them a PM saying

"hey, need to ask you some in depth stuff, add me to MSN/AIM/Yahoo/whatever?"
    Thats fine till the inbuilt link sniffer deletes the web address.................

Why would it need to be "supervised"?
    If its instant chat between users you just close the window when you've had enough.
    One of the forums I use has a Squawk box on the home page which is good as everyone just checks in and chews the fat.
    Again no "supervision" is needed because if someone is out of order they get flamed.

Or are certain mods more worried about not being able to control what is said out in the open when they can happily delete, alter, hand out infraction, bans, etc behind closed doors.
    Last edited by Secretsquirrel; 18 January, 2011, 17:36.
    Originally posted by mr lean 81
    painting is part of a manufacturing process, you dont buy a car without paint on it do you???

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

I must be the only person that doesnt like them then?
      i dont like the idea either go us :D
      Originally posted by jonnyhal
      For Sale: very nice heavy springer
      Originally posted by soulflame2
      when it says 'springer' does that mean its a spring powered gun? not a semi auto

Comment

Chat box = sex offenders playground.

Comment

If you need to talk to someone 1 to 1 on here, thats what PMs are for surely?
          My thoughts exactly.
          If you are going to be ignored its just as easy via PM as it is on IM.
          The only difference is the need to refresh.
          Ive had perfectly good conversations via PM you just need remember to delete realy old posts.

Comment

An idea would be to scrap the 30-45 second pm rule ?
            sigpic

Comment

an IM function would be cool , especially not to clog up our own msn , it could be on here

Comment

On our forum, we've got an Instant Chat box. However, it will only work if you've got the person you want to talk to added as a friend. Works really well and has had a lot of use.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Personally I think the moderation is the issue here - if we can chat freely then the discussion can't be regulated about what or who is being "spoken about".
                  painting is part of a manufacturing process, you dont buy a car without paint on it do you???

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                    Chat box = sex offenders playground.

So that rules you out then.

if it works elsewhere then it could work here, save alot of useless threads about stupid things.

Comment

A chat box will never happen

1. too many members
                      2. moderation is hard
                      3. id ruin it very quickly

Comment

Number of members has nothing to do with it - over 23,000 members on one US based forum I use and the chat is crackin on there.
                        No moderation needed as members are chatting to each other- people aren't asking for chatrooms - just chat to friends, so IM
                        We'll just bar you....................
                        My personal opinion is its a no go because of the tie-in to Z1 - same reason there is no chat allowed even in pm's about other sites.

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

Originally posted by bangyourdead View Post
                          So that rules you out then.
                          Wow, uncalled for much? And you want to be let loose on a chatbox? Jesus...

I second B.E.N's notion. I've been on enough forums in my time to know they suck. Bad idea for this forum.

Besides bangyourdead, your grammar sucks. It'd be "bangyou'redead"...
                          AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
                            oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :p...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
                              Wow, uncalled for much? And you want to be let loose on a chatbox? Jesus...

I second B.E.N's notion. I've been on enough forums in my time to know they suck. Bad idea for this forum.

You kinda asked for that by posting "Chatbox = sexoffenders" bud. Not everyone hangs round Yahoo loking for 12yr olds......

Chat on here would work well - either that or remove the 45 sec rule as that if a RPITA. Do they think people aren't capable of replying to more than 1 message in less than 45s?

Bang hasn't asked for chatrooms just a chat function. Make it work on your "friends list" and there is no issues, no moderation required and easy sales, etc.
                              Its ridiculously easy to end up with your inbox full after a single discussion on a sale with someone.
                              Last edited by Secretsquirrel; 18 January, 2011, 22:09.

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

I'm going to assume it was meant in good humour if I'm honest here...

You'd be surprised about private chat being a bit of a minefield You can excuse the forum owners for not wanting to deal with the implications of chat boxes and private chat.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bangyourdead Find out more about bangyourdead
                                Working...
                                X