This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LOL @ Ai500

Im not a massive fan of AI but every thing that iv seen on here is just people moaning because they have nothing better to do than make up storeys. I am going to this event and think it will be very good, because of the hard work put in by there team.

There is very few people who actualy know why this got canceled but i can say that if any thing its more to do with the local airsoft community that AI that ruined the event planned for Sept.

I think the terms most of you should use is constructive critisism, not just internet warriors, airsoft snobs and so called "elite" players moaning like an old women.

PS good luck an im not being sarc, its hard
    Jamie Fox (Gloryboy21): Team Sneaky Badger Gimp and professional russian in trainning

Originally posted by palmer234
    I don't need a laser to blind someone, I have a penis..

Comment

Then i hope you dont get bent out of shape when your mag gets pulled apart too. If you put something out to the public, its bound to get its detractors. I personally look forward to finding EVERY fault in it, and then sending you a comprehensive list via email. Perhaps you might gain some valuable insight. Thats if you ever make it off the ground. The publishing world and readership in general is likely to stomp you flat.

Most of the people in this thread seem like whiney bitches. Dont like it? Dont read it. Vote with your wallet, or make some constructive well worded criticism to those likely to have an actual impact on the magazine. Bitching on a forum to other people who seemingly share your petulant viewpoint is the net equivalent of leaning over someones back in the playground and saying "yeah" while waving your fist. Children.
      AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by aribos View Post
        Well knowing the F&O crew at a guess they will of gone "yes please paul put the money in my pocket and you can do what you like!"
        And why not mate, at the end of the day they are business and F&O is having no more to do with it other than its their site.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
          Then i hope you dont get bent out of shape when your mag gets pulled apart too. If you put something out to the public, its bound to get its detractors. I personally look forward to finding EVERY fault in it, and then sending you a comprehensive list via email. Perhaps you might gain some valuable insight. Thats if you ever make it off the ground. The publishing world and readership in general is likely to stomp you flat.
          Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed thismorning. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Comment

My point is people shouldnt criticise that which they have no true educated experience of.

Once youve been through the mill yourself, and realised just how hard it is; youll gain the perspective to make constructive criticism, and perhaps even give a little advice based on your own successes or failures. And wouldnt that be nice?

Rather than this torrent of bile and hate excreted from "people" with toys well out of their prams...

This is a niche sport, and any publication on it will be approched from a niche viewpoint. It will often be run by people with previously small publishing experience, purely because they were passionate enough to give it a try.

I used to knock that kind of thing, then i grew the hell up and realised that knocking the legs out from those that try is counterproductive for all concerned. Surely we should be helping AI? Like it or not, theyre a publically published magazine who will more often than not be an embassador for our hobby. Whether you buy it or not, it WILL effect you when papers might be using it to research our sport for coverage. Thats if they get off their arse and stop using Wikipedia. Helping AI will help raise our profile, and maybe you might even get a magazine youll want to read every month. Which would be nice, as theres sod all out there i want to read most of the time.

In fact this thread has done more to effectively increase my shame of other airsofters than anything else on here. Its also polarised me to be supportive of AI; because id rather help them make something of themselves, than side with a group of people who can bring nothing to the table but hate and dirision. Ill be subscribing when i get paid on tuesday.
            AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

While I have never been one to hide my dislike for the AI staff. I am simply trying to find out what went wrong and how they lost the site etc, yes its speculating but until AI offer a more detailed excuse than "For health and safety reasons" Speculation is all that will happen.

Fact of the matter is yes they are using their mag to promote the sport etc but sometimes I am quite frankly appalled at what they produce. IMO if a magazine about our sport (the biggest selling magazine in the UK) has spelling mistakes, guides ripped straight from wikipedia and forums etc etc. How does that look to the general public or people who see the mag and want to find out a bit more about airsoft? It makes us look drivelling morons that run round with the IQ of 5 year olds in the woods with toy guns (Ok that sounds like most of us on a game day anyway). My point is it makes us seem unprofessional as a sport, something I find the people are far from.

As for the AI-500 I think 500 players is a bit of a high expectation. Not a lot of players are willing to travel more than a couple of hours drive for games. Also if it is ,as said, on a new date when other games are on AI need to do some research. Now BEN if you know the guys or are on the 500 forums maybe you can point them in the right direction. Just get them to check for other games in the local area and other big mil-sim's on that weekend. Mainly if they do this and plan it for when there are no other games there is a higher chance of more players attending.

At least AI are actually refunding people and let people know a fair time in advance unlike the guy who tried to organise the airsoft fair earlier this year.

Oh and good luck on the mag Tiercel, keep me posted when its out/live could be worth a read.

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Comment

Where has this 500 people come from??? There was only around the 300 mark when the last game was canceled. The First 500 goody back is just for promotion nothing more.
                Jamie Fox (Gloryboy21): Team Sneaky Badger Gimp and professional russian in trainning

Originally posted by palmer234
                I don't need a laser to blind someone, I have a penis..

Comment

Yes but surely that says they want around 500 people to attend doesn't it?

(woohoo 1,000th post!)

Comment

While I have never been one to hide my dislike for the AI staff. I am simply trying to find out what went wrong and how they lost the site etc, yes its speculating but until AI offer a more detailed excuse than "For health and safety reasons" Speculation is all that will happen.
                    Why do you dislike the AI staff? Have you ever met any of them personally or are you just bitter because they get to play with new guns for a living?

How "they lost the site" is, to be brutally honest, none of your business. They are not at liberty to disclose what happened exactly.

Fact of the matter is yes they are using their mag to promote the sport etc but sometimes I am quite frankly appalled at what they produce. IMO if a magazine about our sport (the biggest selling magazine in the UK) has spelling mistakes, guides ripped straight from wikipedia and forums etc etc. How does that look to the general public or people who see the mag and want to find out a bit more about airsoft? It makes us look drivelling morons that run round with the IQ of 5 year olds in the woods with toy guns (Ok that sounds like most of us on a game day anyway). My point is it makes us seem unprofessional as a sport, something I find the people are far from.
                    Have you ever seen a publication, for example, like Max Power in it's hey day, or maybe even Zoo or Nuts? A magazine is written for it's intended audience. You know they try and keep the syllable count down in The Sun to avoid alienating readers?

People bash on AI, but it's not actually that bad... It's just cool to bash AI apparently...

At least AI are actually refunding people and let people know a fair time in advance unlike the guy who tried to organise the airsoft fair earlier this year.
                    Exactly... They realise this is a massive inconvenience and they have done what can be expected to compensate...

Comment

• Re: LOL @ Ai500

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                      Why do you dislike the AI staff? Have you ever met any of them personally or are you just bitter because they get to play with new guns for a living?
                      I have met them and also know of several sites where the staff broke site rules regarding H&S and nearly lost the owners their sites.

How "they lost the site" is, to be brutally honest, none of your business. They are not at liberty to disclose what happened exactly.
                      I was merely wondering if they would divulge mainly so that people would know for future reference if it was something the site owner caused or something that AI wanted to do but couldn't.

Have you ever seen a publication, for example, like Max Power in it's hey day, or maybe even Zoo or Nuts? A magazine is written for it's intended audience. You know they try and keep the syllable count down in The Sun to avoid alienating readers?

People bash on AI, but it's not actually that bad... It's just cool to bash AI apparently...
                      Yes I have read plenty of publications but nothing with quite so many typo's etc being published. The odd one or two yes but most issues contain 10+ per issue. IMO if its a case of the publishers not proof reading then they need to change publishers. Either that or one very lazy editor who isn't properly reading the articles put in front of him. (I have several friends who work for news papers, websites and magazines as editors and in varying different departments.)

Exactly... They realise this is a massive inconvenience and they have done what can be expected to compensate...
                      I just hope AI learn from whatever mistakes were made to avoid them again. Here's to hoping!

Comment

It amazes me that any one tries to do anything in niche pastimes, especially where internet forums are the most common form of communication.....

Having been involved in other niche pastimes (traction kiting) I'm aware that it may feel like a huge audience and that everything is easy to do because no one else is doing it....all the critisisms being thrown at AI were levelled at the only land kite magazine available, and the truth is that unless you have a huge readership and circulation, it will always be a labour of love for the people involved. If you look at the coverage of the pay portals that some of the major papers are talking about, you will see that even the largest publishers are worried that most of what they print is available on the internet before they can even print it!

I buy AI occasionally, and think that all things considered it, its not a bad magazine, I have read Take Aim as well, and think they both portray our sport well enough. At the end of the day, we are (generally) a group of young or middle aged white men playing with toys guns in the woods, never forget this, say what you want, but there is no way that we can every really get away from that fact.

I aggree whole heartedly with Fenriz about supporting them, as like it or not, they are the "public" face of our sport, as they can be accessed by anyone who happens to walk into the correct WH Smith and buy a copy, no needing to sign up to any discussion forums, no "noobish" feeling while reading the mag and no interaction from longer running players saying "search"or "stop being a noob" to put people off!

As for the Health and Safety argument, I for one believe it! Countryside Properties are a building company, and as such under the most amazing amount of HSE scrutiny. While AI may have jumped through all the paperwork hoops, it is never good to have any accidents on a site you own. HSE don't care that all the paperwork was in order and that it wasn't their fault. Also if anything were to happen, it has to be declared on all tender questionares, which only ask "has an accident ever occurred?". If a marshal was injured, that would count as an accident at work, which depending on the severity could have to be reported to the HSE.

Do you think a large company like Coutryside Properties would let the relatively small amount that they would make from renting the land endanger other projects and tenders, especially when they can avoid the whole problem by cancelling, and only annoying to them a handful of people...

I'm sorry that Dark Harvest is being moved, it has caused me problems, and I think the hospital would have been much better than Anzio Camp, but I'm still going to go, and hope it should be as good, if not better!

Later daze

Lee

Comment

i am a total mutual party on this one,

way i see it is shit happens, yes it is VERY disappointing for those of you who were going, but they have re scheduled and are offering compensation for those travelling from afar
                          what more can they do? what do you want them to do?
                          im sure they are as gutted as you are!!!!!

i do like ai magazine, much better than heat and women's health weekly

Comment

This thread is going no where and becomming troll like

If anyone knows why the event was cancelled and is actually willing to say.... rather than all the hinting then message it to me and I will add it...

Closed
                            Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 29 August, 2010, 06:07.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crotmate Find out more about crotmate
                            Working...
                            X