Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kalashnikovs

Originally posted by ThePope View Post
    Would it be best to lightly sand down the existing wood then apply the stain or just stain over the existing wood? I was just wondering as I don't want to alter the feel of the wood currently (as in texture wise) and was wondering if sanding it down the existing would drastically alter that?
    If its stain and not varnish, then apply over the top. Should have a nice graded effect! Repost if you do end up doing it.
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by Talbert View Post
      @Ben Were you at UA milsim this weekend? Recognise the blood on the AK...
      Sorry, didn't spot this post. Alas, yes i was there, but it wasn't me with the AK, was my mate Phil who owns it! I did the roughing up for him!

Would it be best to lightly sand down the existing wood then apply the stain or just stain over the existing wood? I was just wondering as I don't want to alter the feel of the wood currently (as in texture wise) and was wondering if sanding it down the existing would drastically alter that?
      You'll want to strip the wood dude, use a chemical stripper as opposed to abrasives.

Comment

*edit* just found out the real hider is off center as well, fail by me ace by Cyma*
        That will be because the original AK47 pulls up and towards the right with the recoil (IIRC, long time since i've had the lessons) and the AKM was not only designed to save weight but also compensate for this my venting more of the gas/flash in that direction to push the muzzle left and down.

apologies if anyone had already mentioned that, just a quick reply.

Comment

Technically, all guns will pull up and to the right in the hands of a right handed shooter... Bio-mechanics and Magpul innit?

Comment

yep but when you fire the AK47 its *very* noticeable, especially on auto. The L85a1 hardly does it at all, cant comment on the a2 as i've never fired it with live ammo but i cant see it being *worse*.

Comment

What I meant was that any weapon with a bolt will have a tendency to rise up and to the right if gripped in the manner that is most natural for a right-handed shooter. The left hand braces the weapon and prevents it from moving down/left so the path of least resistance for the muzzle rise caused by the inertia of the bolt moving backwards will naturally make it move upwards and to the right. Other than the heavier load in the ammo, there's no real reason for the AK to pull up and right any more than anything else.

I have to be honest, almost every weapon over 9mm I've ever fired has had a degree of muzzle rise sufficient to pull rounds off target after more than 3-4 shots, especially when standing.

I wonder if they move the slant compensator round for left handed shooters?

Comment

I dont know what the reason for it to do so is Ben, i only know that the school of infantry taught that it did

I have no idea why it should be noticeably pronounced. Clearly it was enough of a problem for most AKMs to be fitted with an asymetric muzzle brake whereas few other large calibre assault rifles and battle rifles ever had them.

I honestly dont know why it's so, it was just deemed to be particularly pronounced by the guys who really knew what they were talking about at warminster & catterick.

Comment

With regards to the compensator, i think it fixs in that position.

As with most things soviet/warsaw pact if you were left handed you learned to do things right handed or got a kicking.

we're talking about an army that didnt issue spectacles as 'young men shouldnt need glasses' here.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
                    With regards to the compensator, i think it fixs in that position.

As with most things soviet/warsaw pact if you were left handed you learned to do things right handed or got a kicking.

we're talking about an army that didnt issue spectacles as 'young men shouldnt need glasses' here.....
                    That's probably the same reason nobody else has fitted a compensator to deal with it... If it's rising you're not gripping it tightly enough!

I'd guess the AK's tendency to rise off target more is based around the fact it plain and simple has more recoil than other weapon on account of it's heavier load, plus it kinda gets fired on auto a lot more than many other similar assault rifles...

That said, KAC's Triple Tap is intended to be mounted in an off-vertical alignment as far as I know...

Comment

I was just trying to do a bit of rapid research to check i wasnt making stuff up and that I was recalling range days over a decade ago properly and....

I found some odd shooting forum conversation where there is a strong belief that while the AK series are *supposed* to be fired in a right handed way they are *accidentally* very very good for left handed shooters as they allow you to use a modern 'hand on the pistol grip all the time' method and operate the fire selector/safety and cocking lever with your 'off' right hand.

Never even considered that before, i've learnt in the past to shoot both left and right handed but left handed shooting was obviously for exceptional circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                        plus it kinda gets fired on auto a lot more than many other similar assault rifles...
                        well the 'default setting' and clearly in its intended use in the 50s the doctrinal view.

'give it loads' let the squad marksman make the shots that count while you 'win the firefight' by putting bag loads of ammo downrange while advancing.

So like you say probably viewed as an issue as it was the way it was being used the most.

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                          If its stain and not varnish, then apply over the top. Should have a nice graded effect! Repost if you do end up doing it.
                          Just picked up my genuine AK sling this week and will be doing the stain this weekend. (Hell least if I balls it up I can try again!)

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

Decided to make my heavy gun heavier. Photo taken at work during my lunch hour so no fancy molotov props this time

Comment

I recognise that and LOVE IT!
                              Were you playing at The Fort 2 Weekends ago on the Red Team?

Comment

*years* ago i made an AKSU look a like out of a beta spetz. They didnt make an affordable AKSU at the time so i put a metal AK47s body on the spetz, fillered in the gaps, fillered in the above magwell indentation and put a real steal AKSu stock on the back.

Served me really well for years, sold it about a a year ago and intended to buy a more convincing AKSU but never got around to it.

Last edited by Gadge Europa; 9 November, 2012, 11:12.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jon Bon Find out more about Jon Bon
                                Working...
                                X