Contact Drills In An Ambush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Drills In An Ambush

Well, Im and NCO with the ACF (army cadet force). Have signed up for the army and am getting shipped off to basic training in september.

Now, I do a lot of contacts and blank firing exercises and such, and I was wondering if the British Army's contact and battle drills are used in airsoft.

I know this will vary, but I want too see how different people react differently to an Ambush.

Picture the Scenario

Your Patrolling along, down a dirt road, trees either side, your in staggered formation.

One man is hit from the left flank.

Your in charge. What would you do?

Re: Contact Drills In An Ambush

I would shout "contact left!"
    My team & I would return fire and move into the trees/cover on the right hand side of the track in extended line.
    My team would be already in designated pairs or squads depending on size.
    I would have one half of the team keep firing on the scumbags who contacted us, while issuing orders to the team over the radio. Telling everyone what is happening while my assistant team leader is taking the other half of the team either left or right flanking depending on the ground.
    If however the enemy is in depth & are greatly outnumbering us or there is no real need to be in contact I would organise a fallback to the last RV point.

Good luck with the training. My advice, keep the cadet history to yourself as much as possible, by all means use your experience to yours & your platoons advantage. I know as I was an ACF (sgt, 4 star) & ATC (cpl, leading) cadet before I joined up.

What you joining?

Comment

Pretty much what Andys said... lay down strong suppressive fire with your support guns and advance to contact with fire and manouvre.

However, if they're at all switched on and have actually laid a proper ambush, you probably wouldnt be able to fall back (theyd have people in place to cut off your line of retreat, and by the time they opened fire you'd probably have half your squad past the first one to shoot). Just advance to contact and give them something to remember you by... that way you give a good account of yourself if you're wiped out, but theres a better chance of you reclaiming the momentum and wasting them instead

And remember DONT FREEZE UP!!!

Comment

Two options. Turn, and assault the position, using fire and manouver, or laying down suppressive fire and withdraw the way youve come, being aware of the cut off groups.

Ditto on what Andy said, you wont make any friends or befriend the instructors by telling them your ex cadet. I saw it when i joined up, and im sure things havent changed much in the time ive served. I was an ex cadet, and it did help me out a lot, but stick to helping the lads out. Dont ever say to an instructor you think his idea is wrong, and as to quote what one lad said... 'Thats not what i got taught in cadets!'
        Cue right cross...

Comment

Haha, yeah I know, Im not there to make myself out to be a smart ass thats for sure!

Im a 2 Start Lance Jack at ACF at the moment, transferred from being an Acting Sergeant at ATC last chiristmas, then stopped ACF until last month where I came back (I hadnt officially left) and got my Stripe!

Andy - Im Joining 2nd Battalian, Parachute Regiment, Or as its more well know, 2PARA.

And If I Fail P-Company twice, I'll be re-cap badged, And I will join the Royal Anglians.

Comment

Andy - Just saw your little personal message/signature

Ex Guards eh?

Comment

yeah for my sins.

good luck on p coy, my advice dont join infantry. if i had my time again id join something with a trade. boring but clever in the long run & you get paid more.

Comment

Yeah a lot of people tell me that, but it doesnt interest me.

Infantry is where I want to be, although my careers office kept telling me I should be an officer.

Thanks for the kind words andy, what guards regiment were you? My ACF Detatchment is Irish Guards

Comment

Hey chap, not an army lad so maybe not fully qualified to comment, but speaking as a graduate of the kick ass school of life, i'll tell ya alittle bit of advice that I definatelly didn't follow, and doubt you will also,so here goes anyway...... take on board the advice of people that have been there and done that.

As nice guy Andy says based on his experiences - do the trade! Enjoy the army lifestyle while taking out of it a skill that will secure your future when you leave - follow that and when your older and wiser, you probably wont look back at that decision with regret.

Besides that in infantry, your dodging bullets, and as romantic as being the hero sounds mate, I can only imagine it being a hell of place to be - hats of to the lads that do it right enough.

Wishing you well, success and good luck in whatever you end up doing.

Comment

The thing is these days, just because you join the infantry doesnt mean you cant have a trade.
                    On the flip side though, and having known a bloke who did this, maybe you can get the best of both worlds...
                    When i was in Iraq the last time, a full screw was out with me. He was signals, (for my sins, i am also) but had done his para course, was winged up, and was an operator. When he was in Afghan he was working in a FOB with the paras out on the ground. He was at the sharp end a lot of the time, working with FAC to call in ground attacks and getting stuck in with the lads. But then when he came back he was back to his normal duties as an operator.
                    There are plenty of jobs out there, and theres no reason why you cant serve a few years as infantry then re-capbadge. I know of at least 4 blokes at my current squadron who have gone this course. One lad who was in NI in 93, saw a lot of the bad stuff, and then a few years later transfered over. Weve got ex REME, a Pioneer, 2 ex infantry and a guy whos done every trade in the signals!
                    So do what you think is best mate.
                    Id advice against officer if you want to stay in the thick of it. Officers tend to ride desks after they hit captain. They do get paid more though! But they tend to not have as much fun as the lads. Just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the kind word thebamsco!

And I know what you mean about officer hoggy! Thats exactly what my uncle told me, desk jockey after 6 years and get captain, which is what I dont want to be doing!

Besides, Whisky and cigars in the officers mess isnt my idea of fun!

I cant really decide what to do, ive applied for infantry to be an infanteer with 2PARA, but 9PARA really did catch my eye, which im sure a lot of you will know, 9PARA are Engineers, my dad said thats one of the best jobs to have, as he is ex army and served in northern ireland.

I have 2 more weeks to decide what I put down on paper!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Just take all the leaflets you can! Like i said mate, anybody can do the para course. Youve got commandos as well...know its the Navy (boo!) but they do a lot of different stuff! Medic's are a helluva good job, and considering their a decent trade and also see the action, maybe thats an option for you? A medic i spoke to in Afghan had to put 150 rounds down just to evac his casualty.
                        Just have a look at the leaflets, see what you like the look of, and then get on http://www.arrse.co.uk. Its a site for ex and serving military and they might be able to advise you!

Comment

yeah, im currently registered with the army rumour service, and i wouldnt touch the marines with a 100foot barge pole, and I dont wanna sound stubborn, but infantry is the only thing that really calls out and grabs me by the balls!

Comment

Have you thought about the military police.

They have a paras detachment, plus you can do close protection work, where you get to spend a lot of time with the Hereford lads.

I used to be a civy instructor at the RMP training school in West Sussex and they're nothing like the tight-arse coppers you would think they are. You have to have your S... well sorted as they don't take just anyone, but if you get in, you've got so many different career options. I wish I had gone down that route 25 years ago and not gone infantry (Royal Hampshire Reg), maybe I wouldn't have taken a medical at the first opportunity!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but it doesnt really appeal to me

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sk8inmadkid Find out more about sk8inmadkid
                              Working...
                              X