This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "imitating" soldiers

and we're right back to where we started...

I've got my wings after going through jump school after passing my CTC, selection and My board of admiralty and its now worth jack squat now I design buildings for a living.

So far Homer-side has come close to understanding and posting on my points, I've no doubt many more have read an never responded.

Spetz has not quite gotten the image yet green giant points the right way .

For those still puzzled I was a Parachute qualified Royal Marine officer (so every bugger hates me for one reason or another) and now its worth squat as I design buildings for a living.

I'm not bothered about a person who turns up to a game with surplus kit with Cmdo trf's that plays within the rules, don't arses on etc, they either respect the work I (and many like me) did or are honest when we try to make a connection.
    Opinions are like ar**holes, everyone has one.

Usually found being very unimpressed by a lot of players, but gets a pleasant surprise when they actually have a clue on a game day.

Comment

When I was in, 9 Para Sqn wore Maroon berets. They weren't parachute Regt but they are still entitled to wear the Beret. So the maroon beret is NOT specific to Para Regt only.

And FAMAS? best gun? give me a break. Everyone, including you Rocking absolutely know which gun is the best do you want me to start the debate again:p

Hoggy nearly correct on all points and the closest in accuracy i have read so far. However, although 25 odd years ago I recall 9 sqn wore para cap badges too. I may be wrong as the mists of time are swirling in my head. 59 Commando RE wore blacked Cap badges if memory serves me.
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Para Provo guys used to wear their maroon lid even when serving at RMPTS as instructors.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
          as instructors.
          My point exactly. Training staff.

Examples of this - Arborfield (when it existed) - Maroon berets on the Sigs guys who were para trained. Blandford - WO1 who was commando trained wore his green lid while the OC at a phase 2 camp. He couldnt wear it as the SSM at my sqn, and he cant wear it when he goes to his new reg as the razzer

I think the best and most accurate loadout i saw so far was the dude with the full desert kit (despite some looking new lol).

I dont think it matters too much. Just personally, i dont see the point in why somebody would wear a beret out on the field. Badges are badges. Im not the greatest fan of people wearing things like para wings and SAS cap badges, because its one of those bone of contention things. But i wont go mad at somebody for doing it. Id much rather get upset at a cadet who wore the badges, then tried to justify them by saying 'But im a cadet, im entitled to wear it.

If you want to show respect for a regiment, thats fine! And be authentic! Just be careful how it might be seen to somebody who has no idea what airsoft is, and to people who have worked hard to earn those things.
          Last edited by hoggy21; 31 March, 2010, 23:41.

Comment

I wear a beret when airsofting. I find it comfortable and it protects hits to the scalp as well as a helmet and is less cumbersome. I also wear it with a DLI badge on it.

The badge and beret were my dads. My dad saw active sevice in Aden and Cyprus. When he died I received all his militaria, my other brothers weren't interested in it. I wear it because I want to wear it, simple.

If I were to wear my own Corps badges and kit I would wear the beret for them too. And if I wanted to portray 9 sqn or 59 sqn I would, for those not in the know they are the Para and Commando sqn's of the RE's.

I wouldnt take very kindly either to someone telling me I am not entitled/allowed to wear it. I don't pretend to have served in those sqn's but that shouldn't stop you from wearing or portraying a particular branch of the armed forces, and if someone objects then quite frankly they are a little up their own A*ses tbh.
            Feedback link

Comment

so what about ranks?? our team is considering ranks, purely for our fun and that some are better at organising and commanding than others....
              RC Aircraft for sale or swap with M4! - http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53131

Comment

Well for those of a certain age, our Troop pic (9 para RE)
                Last edited by muzzy; 1 April, 2010, 00:22. Reason: font change
                The nomad only goes from point to point as a consequence and as a factual necessity: in principle, points for him are relays along a trajectory.” (Nomadology: The War Machine)

Comment

That one's been brought up on here before in this thread. i personally can't see a problem with it. Many seem to. It's a game and people need to lighten up a little. The biggest bone between us ex's on here isn't the issue of what you are wearing, it is actually pretending to have served. We can see right thorugh these people because of the crap they spout.

If you were a reenactment society nobody would bat an eyelid. I can't see that much difference between Reenactment and what we do, other than the fact the society will model on a complete unit, either historical or Ahistorical They use period tactics and generally "immerse" themselves more fully. We tend to not get into it that much.
                  Feedback link

Comment

What year Muzzy? And there you have it. RE Cap badges and not wings.
                    Feedback link

Comment

Was that when they were attached to 36?
                      Feedback link

Comment

85. Think we were still 5th Airborne if memory serves right, and you guys at maidtone (36) were part of 5th i think?? long time ago mate and grey matter is .............well you know what i mean
                        The nomad only goes from point to point as a consequence and as a factual necessity: in principle, points for him are relays along a trajectory.” (Nomadology: The War Machine)

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean about the grey matter. I was 61 Support sqn 36 for a long while, then 20sqn for the Falklands then went to RHQ as part of the boxing team
                          Feedback link

Comment

I dont give a flying f#~? if someone wears insignia, berets, wings, daggers or whatever, we all know its airsoft and if they feel better about wearing it and it adds to their experience no harm done.(as long as they dont start Waltering about it...........)
                            Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 4 April, 2010, 09:46.

Comment

boxing team, probably saw you a tsome of the sqn matches. i didnt myself but we had a couple of good lads who did. One was Greg a lad from manchester cant remember his last name.. musthave been around your time

Comment

+1 Muzzy my sentiments exactly and probably that of most squaddies on here.
                                Feedback link

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sk8inmadkid Find out more about sk8inmadkid
                                Working...
                                X