• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Still looks good

Comment

Re-jigged the webbing so it's a touch more British. Replaced the Butt Pack with Patt58 Kidney pouches and added a poncho roll with cold weather jacket (US Night desert parka...not particularly accurate, but It's allI had in my BDU box!)

Pretty much finished .... pics are a bit shite as they were taken in my lft room on my webcam!

sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Hellfish you'd do better putting the poncho roll on top of the pouches as it doesn't bounce around as much

Comment

Aye its coming together nicely Hellfish, id maybe even ditch the poncho roll & if you like cut the kidney pouches in two & use just one.
          Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Another amendment - Ditched the kidney Pouches and poncho roll to go for a more streamlined, lightweight "Patrol" set-up.

x 3 LC1 Ammo Pouches (9 Mags), Pattern 58 Compass Pouch, Bino Pouch w/vintage Bino's and x 3 Water Bottle Pouches which hold wet weather poncho, first aid kit and (as it's airsoft) Water bottle of BB's.

Pratting around with webcam settings

Last edited by Hellfish; 9 July, 2012, 15:18.
            sigpic

Comment

Aye, belt kit looks much better like that
              Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Looking pretty good.

They are like panda spunk but its worth seeing if you can get any 44 pattern water bottle carriers and bottles. They were very popular with sas troops (and anyone else who could get them)

I'd probably lose the gloves as well, i'm sure one or two lads might have had them but I cant recall a single pic from the 60s and 70s of guys wearing leather gloves in those theatres.

Very popular in NI though.

Before that khaki wool gloves were issue. I sometimes wear a pair of green leather 1980s raf pilots gloves as they are much thinner for flicking switches, changing mags etc but again too late for Oman.

Comment

Again sorry if Im sounding picky but would the 58 Patt Waterbottle Pouches be converted with QR fittings at this period 1970-76?

Not a criticism was just wondering myself

Comment

Yeah i'd have thought so.

Mind you i've not seen a QR water bottle pouch for 20 years.....

Comment

I'm totally behind the living history stuff and the faithful re-production of kit and uniforms from the past but I'll have to re-iterate that I'm only really aiming for an impression, not a re-enactment grade re-production of the kit used, and just because there's no pictoral evidence of something doesn't mean it might never have happened ...... hence me taking many, many liberties with my loadout!

Although having now said that, I'm pretty much done. Other than maybe getting some older pattern DPM for a temperate climate version of the loadout.

Pis with better cam and better lighting

sigpic

Comment

I personally think that bloody brilliant TBH.

wasnt being critical mate, neither do i think was Terry. Its just that 58 pattern webbing originally came with thinner mag pouhces and twist fasteners like on your bino and compass pouch. Nobody i know is really sure when these were phased out so i think we were just wondering if they would have been more likely then

The impression is awesome, its just a shame we cant get you, me and rusty to an event together at some point and show the multicam horde the way of the old school

Comment

"ahem" I'd be a happy man to do that as well. But seeing as we're stretched between Devon and the west of Scotland it is a bit of a pain.
                          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Constructive criticism is always welcome...I just didn't want you gus who put so much cash and effort into the gear and stuff to think I was just a lazy twat, who couldn't be arsed to put the effort in!

: D

I did the pouch conversion myself. It wasn't hard but I'm not great with a needle so it took me a while and I ended up with sore fingers!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfish View Post
                              Constructive criticism is always welcome...I just didn't want you gus who put so much cash and effort into the gear and stuff to think I was just a lazy twat, who couldn't be arsed to put the effort
                              Not at all mate, id never be so snobbish. Whilst i wouldnt like to come across as speaking for others, im confident the lads who have commented so far are just like me: glad to see another Oman/old school impression

As Gadge mentions, it is a Cracking loadout you have & a Great example of how you can easily create these impressions without going to extremes. Im a collector as well as an airsofter you see, so dont let all that gear put you off (& like i say not everyone wore that kit).

...& I still say with that belt kit & the M16 you should have a crack at a generic Falklands SF loadout

Comment

I like all that you guys have done, if you are trying for early 80's SF get up; some of the regiment guys wore 3-4 resparator pouchs on the back ( depending on how big they were ) then mag pouchs & a water bottle pouch on the front of there belt kit. That way they could carry enough to survive just on there belt if they had to lose there main pack. They also used to fit a draw cords around the pouches to stop the rattles. Just an observation mind.
                                EVER SWIFT, EVER SURE
                                Certa Cito

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
                                Working...
                                X