Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Originally posted by tirabbi View Post
    if you are trying for early 80's SF get up; some of the regiment guys wore 3-4 resparator pouchs on the back ( depending on how big they were ) then mag pouchs & a water bottle pouch on the front of there belt kit. That way they could carry enough to survive just on there belt if they had to lose there main pack. Just an observation mind.
    Where did you see this pal?
    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SBS Rusty View Post
      Where did you see this pal?
      Only a Jock could make a typed statement look/sound like a threat!!
      Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

^ Oi You! Less eh yer cheek wee man!
        Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

I've seen two S6 pouches on a 'belt it' in an old issue of combat and survival in the 80s. Four might be a bit bulky?

Comment

Certainly not criticism from me,sorry if it seems that way sometimes its just that Im a bit of a stickler for details etc and sometimes should just keep quiet.

Comment

@ SBS RUSTY. I saw a couple of teams whilst on a training course mid oct' '82- march '83 at A baracks in Berkshire. I would say that a 3rd of them ran this config' 1 guy was 6'5", 6'6"ish & just as broad & he had 4 respirator case on his belt kit! At least 3 guys were falkland vets. Muttons were a big thing as well as ornate moustaches :-)
              EVER SWIFT, EVER SURE
              Certa Cito

Comment

;-)
                EVER SWIFT, EVER SURE
                Certa Cito

Comment

muttons and ornate taches are still the thing in some people's worlds.
                  Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

I grew one for one of our first Cold War games and while it was epic the missus was less than impressed with it so off it came.

Currently a month into a beard for a West German Bundeswehr conscript loadout for the mag

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread and thinking I must really do this load out again

Can one of you fine gents please advise me where i can get some green lightweights from for the larger gent

Comment

Well impressed with some of the kits in here, will defo be keeping an eye in here.

This is a bit off topic but since there was some talk on the first page of the thread I thought I'd post this link up, most have probably seen it but might help others out with kit. It's a old 60's BBC documentary called 'Jungle Green' about Marines in the Borneo Jungle. Hope it's ok to put this link here, sorry if not mods, but easily found on iplayer if you want to remove it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Green_Borneo/

There's some great close ups of soldiers for seeing the type of kit worn. I especially like a pair of converse/rhodesian banta boot looking baseball shoes hanging from a rucksack at one point, and some funky local made looking mag pouches hanging on one of the scouts belts as they leave camp on patrol.

I've wanted to put together some kit based on this era for a while, had a relative there for a while and his stories always fascinated me as a kid.

Comment

^ Thanks for that pal, havent seen that documentary before

Comment

Boots like these ones?

Rarer than panda spunk, they were usually burnt in theatre rather than shipping them back home.

Edit: I was lucky enough to find these under a pile of old rubbish in sabre sales, i'd spent about three hours moving mountains of tat and these were in near mind condition and they only wanted 12 quid for them. Last time i saw a pair for sale was at Anchor supplies in Nottingham in 1991!

They do crop up occasionally but are usually up to £80 a pair.

I dont actually wear these for anything other than militaria photoshoots as they are not very hardwearing, the army designed them to be pretty much disposable and you'd throw them away after a week or two.

Comment

I've got a pair of them too, got them very cheap myself, mislabeled online with quality control labels on the soles too. I think you might have given me a brief history of them on another forum actually, thanks again.

I just looked and the guy I mentioned appears about 18:25 through the vid he's got what look like black converse hanging from his pack. Do you happen to know what sort of uniform it is their wearing? Is it the WW2 jungle greens like your trousers in that pic. The thigh pockets look turned to the side in the vid

Sorry if this is going a bit away from thread title, but it seems to fit.

An that looks ace by the way, I think the beard completes it.

Comment

Ya just like them might have to have a bit of leicence and use US jungle boots instead

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
                                Working...
                                X