Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
    1959 pattern are very rare - what are often put on the place we do not mention are misdescribed (dunno if that's a real word, but I like it, so it is now) 1972 Pattern Smocks.

I visited Sabre a month or so back - there's a lot of 1958 Patt Webbing, and a load of 1937 Pattern as well - but Nick's retiring I believe, and he's pushed the prices up. The good stuff, the gems and the like are fewer and fewer as well. Shedloads of 196 Pattern jackets and trousers (I'd have given my eye teeth for those a few years ago to look good at work - no need now) but it's looking like Just Another Surplus Store. Shame.
    Dont wish to start an argument but 59 Patt Denisons are far from rare,sometimes pricey,yes but rare certainly not.

Also what is a 72 Pattern smock please? Never heard of one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfish View Post

With regards to headwear.....would an OD Boonie (US 'Nam syle) suffice or would it be preferable to locate a Brit Style cap/boonie?

And if so, any pointers as to the best location to find one?

Cheers

Its really up to you to be honest. Also worth considering how eclectic the the guys kits were, so youre always going have great leeway when it comes to Oman-which makes it more interesting as it isnt so Black & White. Headwear ranged from Shemaghs, British jungle hats sometimes with the brim cut down to resemble a cap. Ive seen pictures with lizard pattern hats, dpm field caps aka crap hats (like what im wearing the pictures), plain green field caps & even a Vietnam era 'duckhunter camo' hat. So long as its of the era in appearance you cant go far wrong. Consider they used what ever was fit for the job: clothing & even weapons. You always hear the debate about SF can wear/use what they like. When it came to Oman this was true more than ever. But dont take my word for it:

'This was a small scale, low-budget guerrilla war, and both sides routinely stole and scrounged weapons & ammunition from each other'

'Back in Hereford, the men had scoured the local second-hand military shops, buying clothing to wear in Oman, American Army jackets and their own boots. The guys liked the American Army jackets. They were lightweight, easy to dry & lasted.'

From SAS Operation Storm by Roger Cole (who was there) & Richard Belfield.
      Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

I know a chap who has a stock on 1966 dated Brit bush hats, unfortunatley all smaller than size 7 but I recently got a good repro 44 pattern bush hat of a popular online auction site off an Australian seller who got it to me within a week!

Comment

I'd need a hat sized 6 7/8 or Small - If he has any of that size that'd be good. otherwise I'll stick withthe Nam style boonie
          sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Do you know of a chap called Warren. Runs a custom gun company and a site called 'The Hill' in Scotland.

I cant link you to him but i'm sure he could help

Comment

Its not until i re-read my comment a few posts above about how rare/expensive some kit is becoming that i realise this paints a pretty dire picture for some lads wanting to pick up these items. What ive said is true, but what I should have mentioned also is that there are some great finds outs there which do appear. For instance, ive picked up E&E pouches & SLR drop loop ammo pouches as a 'buy it now' on a certain place for £15-£30, which is a much better deal than the silly prices they are going for at bids. Either the seller is looking for a quick buck or they dont realise what they have/ how much they could get for these-you can always tell by the title they use. Naturally these dont last long on the bay of pigs, they are snapped up fast! What it comes down to with all this stuff is timing & luck. So keep an eye out!
              Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

@ Terry McCann - The 1972 Pattern Smocks are the more commonly seen ones - they have a lighter more sand colour base than the green one used on the 1959 pattern smocks, which were shorter than the original pattern smocks used up until that time. In 1978, the Denison was replaced/phased out by the "Smock, Parachutist" and sadly, that has been the last smock for purpose. The latest MTP/PCOS has yet to be para smockerized, although there is a company converting smocks into Para Smocks with poppers, brass zip and wooly cuffs. When I was at Lympstone in 1985, the Commandant used to wander about in his 1972 Patt Smock, but he was the commandant and I certainly wasn't going to have a word with him about it.

I got my bush hat from the same supplier as Gadge did - I got a couple, as you never know when or where you'll put one down and lose it. I blame my age.
                Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                  @ Terry McCann - The 1972 Pattern Smocks are the more commonly seen ones - they have a lighter more sand colour base than the green one used on the 1959 pattern smocks, which were shorter than the original pattern smocks used up until that time. In 1978, the Denison was replaced/phased out by the "Smock, Parachutist" and sadly, that has been the last smock for purpose. The latest MTP/PCOS has yet to be para smockerized, although there is a company converting smocks into Para Smocks with poppers, brass zip and wooly cuffs. When I was at Lympstone in 1985, the Commandant used to wander about in his 1972 Patt Smock, but he was the commandant and I certainly wasn't going to have a word with him about it.

I got my bush hat from the same supplier as Gadge did - I got a couple, as you never know when or where you'll put one down and lose it. I blame my age.
                  Hello Hawke and again not saying this to start an argument or hope people dont think im an ass but they are all 59 Pattern Denisons no matter what type of cammo,print or colours(up to DPM)-the 72 Pattern tag like a lot of others around is a collectorism,unofficial "type" and refers to the colours and NOT the smock type

Comment

Oh well, live and learn, every day's a school day!
                    Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Found a plain OD smock on Ebay....Not sure if it fits in with the "Look" but here a pic anyways:

sigpic

Comment

Aye id say it looks the part & sort of along the lines of this...

Comment

Wasn't sure as it has velcro at the cuffs and neck......

: D
                          sigpic

Comment

Whats the lining like, looks a bit like a bundy NBC smock

Comment

Doesn't have a lining Gadge......no padded or anything on the inside and there's no lable to say what/when/where it came from either
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfish View Post
                                Doesn't have a lining Gadge......no padded or anything on the inside and there's no lable to say what/when/where it came from either
                                Any chance of a pic of the smock on its own?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
                                Working...
                                X