Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

43 pattern jungle greens have the front pocket, 44 pattern i think it moves to the side. The 50s ones have the front belt buckles moved to the hips like sas windproofs and the three quarter shirt front becomes fully buttoned. From everything i've read WWII ones were worn up to Borneo as the 50s trousers were hated as the buckles rubbed the skin off your hip bones. Are you sure the black converse are not just wet green jungle boots? Other than that they could possibly be plimsoles boot polished black. They were worn for night patrols but they are not 'high top' like basket ball boots.

Got a pic of your boots. Mine are oddly green soled so I think they might possibly be aussie, either that or its a local variation.

I picked up a full button aertex shirt and a 44 pattern jungle hat the other day so i'm set to do a malaya impression. Just need an all green scrim (all mine are wwii two tone), a machete/gollock and the right sort of gat... everything i have at the moment is too late (SLR) or too early (Sten MKII, Lee Enfield No4).

I might take the pics with the number 4. They were used in small numbers, mainly by locally raised units though.

Comment

Originally posted by troutsniffer View Post

An that looks ace by the way, I think the beard completes it.
      Cheers. It was for a 'Cold War Warriors' article i ran in Airsoft Action about white mercs in the Biafran War, oddly i've got the same beard at the mo for a Bundeswehr conscript impression i'm working on...

Comment

This is the only pic I have I'm afraid from original auction, green soles like yours.

Cheers for the info on the jungle greens exactly what I was after. Now just to find some, I'm a long way from getting my kit together unfortunately.

It sounds like your all set, I take it to be wood all round on the SLR for this period?

As for the boots on the pack, I'm not sure, though they look a bit low to be jungle boots, they could be cut down or folded. They look like the french ones but with a thin sole I'm no expert. I suppose they were probably for the soldier to change into when they got a break or at night so he'd have dry feet, I'm sure i've seen a photo somewhere of tennis shoes on top of a rucksack for the same reason like you said.

Comment

I'm glad someone else has green soled ones too... I thought it was just my pair.

Yeah wood SLRs for Borneo, just past Malaya and just *before* Borneo i know the army trialled the FN FAL (i've pics of brits with them in Malaya). Your other options are Bren, Sterling, Gimpy and M16s... there might have been a few L42s knocking about or perhaps No4ts... could be wrong but i think a few Owen SMGs were used too.

I got my Jungle Greens from 'Replicators' in India but its a real double edged sword dealing with them.

Cons:
          Shite coms after they have your money
          99 per cent of their repros are shit but they use pics on their site from other stores to fool you
          Orders frequently never turn up
          Orders are frequently wrong

Pros:
          So cheap its not even funny, i got JG trousers, bush jacket, two shirts and a BD blouse for £50 posted a few years back
          Its the BEST repro (and possibly the only repro) WWII JG kit you can get
          Its made in the same style and materials and most likely the same factories as the originals.

The later 44 pattern are the sort that both What Price Glory and Soldier of Fortune were selling (not sure if they do now) but the 44 pattern never reached the troops in time for WWII... its fine for Malaya/Borneo though.

I don't know anyone who makes repro of the 50 pattern JG kit off hand... and like i said originals are very hard to find as it was usually burnt at he end of a tour as it was too rotten and worn to re-issue.

MInd if i ask how much your boots were, they are a bit nicer than mine. Is the sole/back spine still quite supple. Mines beginning to get a bit inflexible but should still be good for a few years.

Comment

There were a pair of those green soled Boots on Baye a week or 2 ago,cannot remember what they went for but a lot less than they were an year or so ago when i paid £50 for mine(black soles).

Comment

A pair of original black soled ones went for £20 last fri, only the one bidder (wasnt me).
              Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

I just dont get it,the rarer stuff that say last year was fetching 3 to 4 times what they were last year are going cheap yet some run of the mill items are selling for OBSCENE amounts????

I guess its more down to timing and luck with some items.

Comment

Weird isnt it.

Some 37 patter and even some 58 pattern webbing is going through the roof.

If yo guys ever see a pair of size 10s brit malaya junglies with black soles let me know would you. I'd much prefer black soled ones for when i do my Malaya shoot.

Comment

Aye no worries, these ones wouldn't have fitted, they were a size 6. The seller said they're made big. Though how 'big' i wasnt sure, so i backed out. Who ever got them got a cracking deal.
                    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Unfortunatley all the sensible sizes of 40, 50s and 60s kit has been worn out by re-enactors, builders, lorry drivers (thats where most the BD blouses went) and binmen (leather jerkins) by now so unless you're size 6 feet, 5' 4" tall, 28 inch waist and a hat size 55 you're stuff for original WWII and Small Wars kit....

Comment

Wow, learning loads thanks guys. I'll have a look into the replicators stuff, sounds cheap but like a bit of luck is needed.

They cost me less than a tenner I think. I kept thinking someone would outbid me at the last second. Got lucky, the back spines quite tough, don't think they've ever been worn though. I saw another pair with green soles on a ww2 forum when looking for Malaya info, but it was a information request and no one seemed to know. I also found these http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/...Made+In+China+

Hope that's not against the rules, but don't think zero one sell them, they look like gimps shoes in black. They have green according to the drop down menu, but no photo. Not exact but close looking, not seen a pair in the flesh (canvas) to know for sure how close.

It is crazy how much some stuffs costing, I'm not a massive gear buff really. I stopped airsofting a while ago an kept a couple of guns for plinking an projects down the shed, and some bits and bobs I liked. But old school kit prices seem to have rocketed recently maybe the Falklands anniversary started something retro soft wise.

Comment

Originally posted by troutsniffer View Post
                          But old school kit prices seem to have rocketed recently maybe the Falklands anniversary started something retro soft wise.
                          Thats true, a lot of the rare kit i have has rocketed in the last 2 years. For instance of the 3 72 pattern vests i own one cost £46 & the other £58. Now theyre going for £140-200+. M16 20 round drop loop ammo pouches are selling for stupid prices too. Both of mine (mint condition) cost £30 & £40 each. The last two i saw went for over £100 each!! I recently picked up a proper old school 70s dpm SAS windproof smock. I wont say how much it cost, but to say i paid through the nose is a hefty understatement-more like paid through the A@*e & got torn a new one in the process! Heck of a lot more than what any 59 pattern denison smock or ww2 windproof smock is going for these days! & so my advice is: if youre really into original old school kit at all get it while you can Now... this will only get worse.

Comment

1959 pattern are very rare - what are often put on the place we do not mention are misdescribed (dunno if that's a real word, but I like it, so it is now) 1972 Pattern Smocks.

I visited Sabre a month or so back - there's a lot of 1958 Patt Webbing, and a load of 1937 Pattern as well - but Nick's retiring I believe, and he's pushed the prices up. The good stuff, the gems and the like are fewer and fewer as well. Shedloads of 196 Pattern jackets and trousers (I'd have given my eye teeth for those a few years ago to look good at work - no need now) but it's looking like Just Another Surplus Store. Shame.
                            Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Got a couple more bits for my loadout on the way.

British Army OD Waxed gaiters
                              1968 Pattern Jacket
                              1958 Pattern Webbing Respirator Pouch - Will mod this with belt loops and use it like a Butt Pack to carry ration packs etc

With regards to headwear.....would an OD Boonie (US 'Nam syle) suffice or would it be preferable to locate a Brit Style cap/boonie?

And if so, any pointers as to the best location to find one?

Cheers
                              sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Here's something else from the 60's BBC that might be useful to some putting kit together.

Documentary in Aden of British troops, there's not much in the way of gear till the last couple of minutes to tell you the truth if you want to skip there.

Most seem to be not actually wearing webbing when they're out of camp, and just shorts and tattoos when they're in camp. Not sure how much these parts are for the cameras when they're looking in caves etc.

It's quite interesting, so thought I'd stick it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...er_in_the_Sun/
                                Are they rocking Khaki gear in this? It's black and white but someone might know.

Oh and sorry, no idea where to get a Brit boonie I'm afraid unless you have a tiny head, in which case there's a seller on that auction site who seems to put one up pretty regularly. But tiny size.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
                                Working...
                                X