Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures of you British Army Helmets

Originally posted by Lee Hill View Post
    apparently to many guys are taking near misses to the head and shoulder region.
    ive heard that too, which makes me laugh because if your firing from cover correctly, the only parts of the body that are generally visable is part of your head and the shoulder you are firing from anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmikey22 View Post
      ive heard that too, which makes me laugh because if your firing from cover correctly, the only parts of the body that are generally visable is part of your head and the shoulder you are firing from anyway.
      exactly what i said mate its cmmon sense if thats the only part showing thats the part thats going to get hit/near miss

Comment

I just think Whitehall have been watching too many WW2 movies, seen the scrim in their helmets and gone "Mmmmmm, that looks gucci, we should do that too"
        "Someone please get this muppet some skills!"

Comment

All good points but surely the scrim does what it's done since WWII *still*?

I.e. it breaks up the very 'manufactured' and unatural bowl shape of the helmet that the eye is normally drawn to?

(that and snags on every branch you crawl past)

Comment

Back in my day it was drummed into you to always disguise the shape of your head and shoulders with scrim, foliage, twigs etc. But during the first gulf war all this advice seemed to get thrown out the window but lately it seems to be going back to the old ways of disguising your shape.

Comment

Thats what i mean.

i've never seen the point of stretching scrim over a helmet if you're not going to break up its shape... it might look cool but it does little that a camo cover or sandbag wouldnt do as it only makes the surface less reflective.... it still looks like a really obvious helmet even at range.

Helmet shapes are easy to pick out if you're scanning the ground for things that look like they shouldnt be there.

Like you say perhaps that isnt taught as being important anymore?

I read some post WWII after action reports by german soldiers and they were collated into a report for the British to use to locate shortcomings. Something that came up time and time again was how the germans often saw british troops helmets as they rarely netted them and hardly ever cammed them... even with nets on apparently the shine often gave them away.

It's probably why the post war army went mental over doing helmet cam

Comment

Very true Gadge, it seems the most promienent thing to spot on an 'enemy' for me (especially at a WW2 game) is the helmet. I usually overdo the foliage on my helmet, because I've been told by people that If i'm camoflauged the only thing that sticks out is the solid circle of my tin hat.

In my profile pic you can see a couple of ferns stuck in the helmet net, but the photo was taken near the end of a game, so lots of the ferns and leaves had fallen off. I just need to see if i can sort out a net for my soviet helmet as that's only mud covered at the moment.

On topic:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg
                (What's far more ovbious is the black gun and the orange armband, but oh well)

Comment

MK7 fitted with MTP PCS cover and scrim which comes with all said cover's
                  IMG_0076.jpg

Comment

Ghostdivision...

Torn sandbag strips in your net on your MKII look the part and are period correct. While the net was issued mid war most guys couldnt be bothered to scrim it but post D-day it was more common.

The Hallamshire battalion unit diaries record battle casualty replacement arriving in France and being given netted MKIII helmets to replace their MKIIs and being ordered to scrim them up.

My old MKII

Comment

Cheers for the info Gadge, I've got some hessian lying around so I'll give that a go

Comment

I mean the ammount on my MKII isnt *that* effective but its about right on average going by period photos.

My late war MKIII is much more heavily scrimmed

My post war MKV looks like i've got green dreadlocks but that was the thing with the BAOR,the scrim would be quite heavy all over but come down to the shoulders on the back. While it avoids a 'head and shoulders' silouhette it is a pain for getting in the way of slings, straps and occasionally snagging on stuff.

Comment

1970s MKV

Comment

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...6A0A4BD39B.jpg
                            http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...6A15A3D5FB.jpg

heres an update on mine for airsoft use

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Originally posted by jssmitty96 View Post
                              http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...6A0A4BD39B.jpg
                              http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...6A15A3D5FB.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

it looks like you have the helmet cover on the wrong way around

Comment

Nah, he wouldnt want to look like TA squaddie that recently appeared in soldier mag :/

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

curlyrocks Find out more about curlyrocks
                                Working...
                                X