British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Yeah, the smooth ones were just for jumps and a mk6 was carried for use afterwards but they then started issuing a ballistic para lid which is a lot lighter and comfier than a battle bowler.

I changed the chinstrap on mine to a mk6 one and used it most of the time instead of my mk6.

You couldn't attach a visor to them though as the holes for the straps are in a different place
    TM/G&P MK14 Mod 0, G&P SR16 URX Shorty, TM Glock 18c GBB, DE L128A1

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
      Just a pity I would have to get an SA80 rifle for the 2000 theme and all my friends think they are pants!
      Who would be using the LA80...you or your friends?
      The real steel weapons never been a favourite, but I have a G & G one that I bought as a back up, which has quickly turned into my main use weapon! Dont knock one till youve tried it.
      Originally Posted by PureSilver
      "Complaining that it's shit because it's more complicated and less reliable than an AEG is like complaining that sex is shit because it's much messier than masturbating into a sock."

Comment

Originally posted by middo85 View Post
        Yeah, the smooth ones were just for jumps and a mk6 was carried for use afterwards but they then started issuing a ballistic para lid which is a lot lighter and comfier than a battle bowler.

I changed the chinstrap on mine to a mk6 one and used it most of the time instead of my mk6.

You couldn't attach a visor to them though as the holes for the straps are in a different place
        Cool. Excellent advice I don't know why that did not occur to me! I have ordered a Mk6 chinstrap for my para helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Special bus View Post
          Mowby, I am soon to be a booty ofcourse i am questioning my sexuality. Why you offering. sorry i am not that type of guy. Also yes they do wear there ressy bags in a man bag fashion, that was the best way to explain it.
          I can see where you are coming from now! LOL

Comment

Got there in the end buddy.

Comment

I know were there is a mk6 helmet with visor have photos the guy might sell it if your interested I live in Belfast send me pm buddy

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                Cool. Excellent advice I don't know why that did not occur to me! I have ordered a Mk6 chinstrap for my para helmet.
                No problem, just use the metal rings on the para lid and thread the straps through.

Looks very similar to a mk6, mine never got spotted by the raz man
                TM/G&P MK14 Mod 0, G&P SR16 URX Shorty, TM Glock 18c GBB, DE L128A1

Comment

Originally posted by Borotrooper View Post
                  I know were there is a mk6 helmet with visor have photos the guy might sell it if your interested I live in Belfast send me pm buddy
                  I have one now but thanks.

Comment

Pictures of the loadouts?

Comment

Hi

Right I have a question about my belt order. I have assembled a 58 pat L+R ammo pouch, a water bottle+pouch, and an S6 Resi+pouch.

My question is in regards to the ammo pouches and water bottle pouch. Because it is a new belt it is nice and green and err well new! Makes the other stuff show its age. They are all in good condition but they all are well sun bleached and look like they were issued in 1958! I will pack them out with newspaper to try and get them back into shape as they all look as thought they have been sat in the bottom of the cupboard under a pile of clothes! Has anybody got any tips on rejuvenating them a bit. All i can think of is redying them with olive drab dye if such a thing is even available!

I am awaiting my green flak jacket and then I will upload some pictures. I have a CA DS Armouries SA58 rifle which is a version of the FN Fal so similar to the L1A1 but has a shorter barrel. I know it is not authentic but it's all I have at the minutes and it is slightly better for our airsoft site as its better for close quarters stuff but my aim is to get a KA L1A1 to add to my arsenal later.

I have sewn some rank patches on my shirt but they were the very devil himself to do and I found it very difficult to get straight edges. I am sure there must be a proper way of doing it but short of sending them off to someone to get them sewn on professionally I did what i could!

Cheers

John

Comment

No need to dye your webbing, as it came in all colours and conditions. Just let your belt catch up!
                        There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

You could also just leave your new belt on a sunny window ledge and let the sun bleach it to the same colour as your pouches.
                          Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

Soak it in water, dig a whole in your garden and bury it for a week or so then take it out give it a dust off and hang it outside (in the sunlight) should make it all look pretty used and abused. (and more to the point, all the same)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck. View Post
                              The only radios we ever used in N.I. were the red or green secure cougar radios and not the clansman.
                              i have two of the handheld cougar personal radio's, if anyones after them to complete the look http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117866

Comment

Take your 58 webbing to a laundrette, wash it on cool with a prewash, main wash instead of dhobi dust, fabric softener.
                                Shirt - pre 87 Shirt KF, post 87, Shirt Khaki (made by Ben Sherman fact fans) Lightweights were banned throuout Op banner as they tended to melt - not good if faced with a rioter mit a petrol bomb. Trops were banned as well, but they were routinely worn. Para Smocks were considered "warry", as were Windproofs -by the early 90's the Arctic windproof was on general issue throughout the province. The BCH was in use between 1984 and 1992, then thankfully superseded by the Assault Boot. Helly Hansen Hairy bear under the smock, Arktis "42" Chest Rig over it. Commando rank patches on right sleeve. Mk6 helmet with no cover. Bemused bewilderment, and an addiction to watching Coronation Street and Eastenders (Emmerdale if you're from the north) with 32 other men on a tv with no vertical hold to complete the look.
                                Jeans, dessie boots, white socks and a t shirt with your unit's badge on it on the lash.. grass stains on knees optional. Kebab and 20 Embassy de rigeur.
                                Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X