British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Dunno how these haven't been mentioned - The NI Gloves! Fantastic bits of kit, still used by me for airsofting, sod your Oakley GTi go-faster gloves.
    Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck. View Post
      The dog in the first pic would be more accurate if it was a bit more mangy and perhaps missing an eye or a leg.
      I thought that but the missus was a bit dubious about me maiming her new pup for a photo :P

Agreed on the NI gloves they are great and I still use them . As well as the issued goretex dpm gloves and Nomex flight gloves in warmer weather

Comment

NI gloves, great bit of kit. My left glove was always covered in fag burns from all my covert smoking!

A habit I'm pleased to say that I quit about 20 years ago.

Comment

For that authentic look for Op Banner in the 80's, you need a Chogeywallah, selling you stuff at extortionate prices and a stack of eggs, Mothers Pride sliced white, and some really cheap marge, next to a hotplate for your egg banjos.
          Also, leave your mobile at home, queue outside a phonebox with a stack of 10p pieces for twenty minutes for a two minute conversation with your mum about something really trivial. (My favourite one was about Noel, who's apparently got two new dogs called Eric and Ernie. 22 years down the line, I still don't know who the f*** Noel is/was and why it would interest me. My mum's an enigma to me still)
          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Good man Psyduck!

I've still got (and wear) mine, almost 20 years after leaving the mob. With, I might add, the cuffs rolled back.
            Last edited by BAMF; 27 June, 2011, 19:01. Reason: :-)
            There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
              Good man Psyduck!

I've still got (and wear) mine, almost 20 years after leaving the mob. With, I might add, the cuffs rolled back.
              Edit: Hawke....I LOL'd hard at that! :D
              There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Egg banjos! Somebody at work asked me the other day why I always called a fried egg sandwich an egg banjo,

Funny, they didn't believe me when I told them!

Comment

looks awesome MOWBY just get older trousers or get rid of the putties. HOOFIN' effort!!

Comment

Go old school (as The Youth say) and get some DMS along with some non C95 trousers. TBH, in riot kit, you only need the resi haversack as well; webbing just got in the way.

Comment

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Hi

I think I had the sun in my eyes that is why I was squinting.

I have some tropical DPM trousers on order.

As for the webbing I did think there was something wrong as the pouches seemed to be at a funny angle and had to adjust my belt as when I was running about it keep slipping down! As far the puttees I will try not to put them on in a rush next time!

The helmet was interesting!!! I do not know how anyone could shoot their rifle with the visor down! Ended up putting my Para lid and a mask on instead!

Will put a picture up of my 90's load out as soon as I can talk my son into taking another picture!

Nice to get some feedback from the old 'sweats'.

Cheers

John

M0WBY

Comment

Old sweat? Never did anything that would make me sweat if I could.

Comment

Here are more photos for what they are worth!

First 1980's.

Here are some attempts with green trousers (actually No2 Dress trousers)

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030374.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030372.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030371.jpg

Here are some with my tropics...

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030370.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030368.jpg

Here are some 1990's style my a chest rig and 95's sorry no S10 as it has not arrived yet.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030376.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030375.jpg

Cheers

John

M0WBY

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P1030375.jpg
                          Last edited by M0WBY; 29 June, 2011, 18:57.

Comment

wheres the slr

Comment

Originally posted by bill1310 View Post
                              wheres the slr
                              ROFL I need one! But the CA DSA SA-58 is all I have at the minute. At least its based on a FN Fal. Was thinking of saving for a KA L1A1.

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                                ROFL I need one! But the CA DSA SA-58 is all I have at the minute. At least its based on a FN Fal. Was thinking of saving for a KA L1A1.
                                get the ares l1a1 more athentic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X