X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sportsmanship: Is it lacking?

the sportmanship has nearly dropped by 60% mate,

too many people not caring about the limits and ROE etc

i use the bang rule when and only one there is one guy close enough and then i do so with a pistol, if more then two, i switch to the pistol and shot each 2 times.

I did this at one of the grange sites ( one with the compunds and the towers ) me and a friend flanked about 15 players of the non stripes and i killed at least 6 with the pistol and got hit twice put hands up, three lads went and shouted nice going spot on ...

the same day, on another part of the site, shot a person from 20ft away he medic'd came back in and withing 10ft drilled me with a full auto burst to the extent to i was getting hit after i took the hit shouted hit stood up holstered the m9 and walked 6 paces ..... nothing like sorry mate, and the full auto burst was at least 7s long

Comment

Yea i find the bang rule to be a fantastic thing, my first ever hit in this game was a trishotgun from under a metre away to the middle of the forehead. Most unpleasant. I personally use the bang rule for anything under 6 metres, only because i have had firefights before at 10 metres where people can still miss so this seems like an acceptable range. And i always aim for something less painful, arm, thigh etc...

And i have noticed as well that there is barely any sportsmanship anymore in the game. I've been playing for about 4 years now and even then there was a lack of it, which is a shame, im always sharp to congratulate a good shot or manoeuvre.

Its a shame but its always going to happen if left unchecked, and honestly marshalls can only keep an eye on so much at one time.

Hit taking has always been an enormous problem wherever i've been. Some people just dont like admitting they've been taken

Comment

It's not like it was in the old days....When I was a lad, you could go out and leave the door on the latch. All the men wore hats, the women wore skirts, people said "how do you do" to each other as they passed in the street. The sun shone brighter, we had more rain, life was simple, politicians were honest, buses cost thruppence ha'p'ny, and you could fair buy a mansion for 30 bob.

Personally, I only ever see the bang rule misused. I've seen people try and use it from the opposite side of a warehouse, people use it on multiple targets, people running through rooms shouting it, people using it without pointing a gun. One guy even attempted to claim a bang kill on my mate last week, even though he didn't see him, and even though he tried to call it after my mate had got a legitimate shot on him, from behind a door, in near total darkness. I had one person try and bang kill me from around two corners, even though she hadn't, and couldn't see me. She may as well have called it a Spidey-Sense" kill, for all it's ridiculousness. I'd rather shoot the person (unless I'm close enough to touch them, in which case, I'd do so with the barrel of my gun), and/or be shot. That said, I'll generally rather take the bang kill, and walk back to the regen than argue with people, it's not what I pay my walk-on for.

I don't know if/how the sportsmanship has declined over the years, I've only been skirmishing since the summer, but people always have been, and always will be, dishonest, unsporting, aggressive and unfriendly. It's human nature. Sad, but true.
        Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Robin-Hood View Post
          If the site employs a bang rule and you refuse to use it you are as bad as any other cheater or rule breaker. The terms for using this rule should be specified & if it's used out with those parameters then it can be disregarded.
          im sorry but if a site is running a BANG rule, 9/10 they say you may or may not shout bang if using a pistol or using single shot, but many will thank you for saying it, there has not been a site where it has been MANDITORY to use bang rule, it common decensy, so dont say they are cheaters or rule breakers..

Comment

The larger the sport gets the worse it will get sadly.

Originally posted by guard-sniper87 View Post
            im sorry but if a site is running a BANG rule, 9/10 they say you may or may not shout bang if using a pistol or using single shot, but many will thank you for saying it, there has not been a site where it has been MANDITORY to use bang rule, it common decensy, so dont say they are cheaters or rule breakers..
            That was in response to people stating they simply do not use the bang rule. If a site allows the bang rule and I walk up to about a metre behind you and say bang and you refuse to take it you are a cheater. If you honestly disagree with that you're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickybomb View Post
              The root cause of the decline in sportsmanship is 99% purcy's fault :D

Heehee!
              Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Robin-Hood View Post
                The larger the sport gets the worse it will get sadly.
                QFT (quoted for truth)

This applies to all games, why online games have so many haters :D
                Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Do you think, possibly, that one could be caused by the other; cause and effect?

Is there an increase in aggression because there's more people not taking their hits? Are people naturally presuming that they're going to have to drill the SOB on the next burst??

I remember last year I took a shot to the brim of my boonie; found the sniper that's done it in the safe zone and congratulated him (no medic anywhere near me, so sitting there contemplating the pro's of 'sticking together', he just wandered past me).

Thought he was going to faint with the shock of the thanks... But got chatting and ended up having some pretty good banter with him and his mates. My best day to date.
                  Originally posted by andre the giant
                  ...most of us like a balance of shooting and drinking tea.

Comment

Originally posted by donkonious View Post
                    Do you think, possibly, that one could be caused by the other; cause and effect?

Is there an increase in aggression because there's more people not taking their hits? Are people naturally presuming that they're going to have to drill the SOB on the next burst??

I remember last year I took a shot to the brim of my boonie; found the sniper that's done it in the safe zone and congratulated him (no medic anywhere near me, so sitting there contemplating the pro's of 'sticking together', he just wandered past me).

Thought he was going to faint with the shock of the thanks... But got chatting and ended up having some pretty good banter with him and his mates. My best day to date.
                    HHAHAHA was that TOXIC and WMD lads :P

Comment

Agree with the not enough 'nice shot mate' but a lot of the other stuff you mention is down to the way the marshalls run the site surely - I play at LWA and Section 8 in Scotland and I have to say there's not that much of the stuff you metioned allowed to go on. Minimum hit distance is well stamped down on, same as excessive auto spraying.

As for still shooting at someone when they have shouted hit and started to blatantly walk away- if the Marshalls didn't step in I reckon it'd be a punch in the mouth in the carpark.

Majority of players will use the bang rule with no issues and every time I have been shot close up(usually when i've startled someone) I've always had a 'sorry mate'

So I don't really have any bad stories, the not takng hits crap I can honestly say it is mostly noobs when I have witnessed it, have only seen two dudes about to kick off once but it was very abruptly dealt with by the marshalls - they got well tore into both guys leaving them both a little bit embarassed.
                      I am battle-tested bayonets bro,You can’t process me with a normal brain-If you borrowed my brain for five seconds,you’d be like-Dude-can’t handle it,unplug this b@st@rd!-It fires in a way that’s maybe not from,uh this terrestrial realm-Charlie Sheen

Comment

I think all these people that are not liking the Bang rule isn't from the bang rule being bad but because nobody seems to understand it, if somebody tries to bang me from 20-25ft (its happened to me) then I don't take it and just shoot back as well you only shout bang on somebody when you know you have the drop on somebody and there is no chance of missing it. I find it saves tempers flying and unnecessary injury. Often I bang people from the other side of thin cover which if I just shot them my barrel would be inches away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by donkonious View Post
                          Sounds like my day at Warminster. Some of the guys hit me with incredible shots, and i had nothing but sheer admiration for the guys. They were right sneaky barstewards! One of the guys shot me twice, both times i exclaimed good hit. Then when i snuck up behind him and got him in the back with a pistol, he had to do 30 secs dead time before rejoining the game from where he had died. I asked him kindly if he would mind moving out of the room i had shot him from (i was outside poking through a window), and he said that instead of moving out and then coming back to where he knew i was, he would just happily sit there and continue his dead time, knowing that if he came back into the game where he was he would just get shot instantly again. THAT is true sportsmanship. Rather than going out, and coming back in all guns blazing, he was happy to just sit out the rest of the game (Which only had about 2 minutes to run). After the game, in went to the dead zone, spoke to the bloke, and apologised for shooting him in the back from about 3ft away with my pistol. I wanted to check i hadnt hit him somewhere painful and apologise if i did. He said i had hit him on a strap, that there was no hard feelings, and that he wa grateful i hadnt shot him in the head! That game restored some of my faith in airsofters, and i ended up having a really good chat about a game that i hadnt played for a good 7 or 8 months. He helped me out when my batteries started to flake out, he introduced me to the other regulars there (myself and the other players i was with), and continued to be a top quality player and opposition for the rest of the day.

That kind of stuff is what i appreciate and what i feel is starting to lack these days.

When i first went airsofting, i went along with a mate. He then got posted abroad, and i was left on my own. I went along to GZU, started chatting to a couple of blokes on game. Next time i went along, the guys came across and started to chat to me. Before i knew it, we found out we all did the same job, all were in the local area, and now these dudes are some of the best friends i have. Thats what i miss these days. I hate the people who are so elitist, that they wont even have a conversation with people they dont deem 'worthy' of their time. That shit annoys the hell out of me. I always make time for new players. Infact, the last time i went airsofting, there was a paintball site next door. There was a bunch of kids there, and i mean like 10 - 13 year olds. I took about 15 minutes out of my time to show them all my guns, explain to the parents there about airsofting, let them have a hold with it, and explain he differences between airsoft and paintball.

Ill always take a couple minutes of my time to let people have a look over, try out or use my equipment and weapons. I have no problems with that. I hate when you ask somebody what their gun is, then they answer like 'Well, its a systema, dumbass'. That, in my eye, is exactly what is going wrong with this hobby. (Note: Im not digging at systema owners here, its just an example!)

Comment

I find that the level of sportmanship goes down as the number of players go up on a site. If there is a relatively small group of players then each individual is more noticeable by their actions. Conversely if there is a a large group then a players bad behaviour is only going to get noticed by the people around him.
                            I`ve never understood why people get angry during a game, it generally makes me burst out laughing when I see someone get hot under the collar, in what is essentially a bunch of adults running around with toy guns shooting bits of plastic at each other.
                            I think in general the level of good manners has gone down but that could just be a sign of the times.
                            There`s also a strange phenomenon amongst new players of trying to get the 'bestest gun'. Some recent threads asking 'what can I do to make my new gun more powerful' or 'what first gun can I get which is unique' or 'how can I pimp by new gun'. Maybe new players these days have more money ? It seems that a lot of people are stretching the power of their guns to get closer to the site limits thinking that it somehow is going to make them better players.
                            If I went back a few years, most players used TM guns as they were the most readily available and cost a mint at the time. They were just happy to have 'a gun' which worked out of the box, most of which were shooting at about 280 fps and were content with that.
                            It`s almost gone down the route of new car drivers who instead of being happy getting from A to B, have to make a statement by whacking on a large exhaust or big alloys.

Comment

Dude has asked like five times now for people to take bang rule chat to the other thread, you guys are being bad sports.

I actually got complimented on a shot yesterday and had an attack of the vapours out of surprise, as that just straight up doesn't happen. I play in t'North so sportsmanship just doesn't exist. In fact I wasn't aware sportsmanlike people played airsoft at all. If people can direct me to a site where calm, reasonable people can ping off bits of plastic at each other and be nice about it I'd be much obliged.
                              - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
                              - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

I've not been playing very long but there seem to be two extremes,

Some people are just plain agressive towards others, grown men laying into 16, 17 year old kids just isn't on, it's a bloody game for christs sake. If they aren't taking hits etc just tell a marshall, there's no need to scream at people, it spoils the game.

The majority of people I've played with are quite courteous, for example at the weekend me and another guy were caught in a complete stalemate, we would have had to shoot each other from about a meter away which is just bloody painfull so we both agreed to walk in opposite directions and then carry on. Nice to meet sensible people.

Another time we had a rules query about grenades and doors (I'd thrown one in front of the door and we had to check whether it was a kill for people hiding behind it), rather than throw a tantrum both sides waited for a marshall to radio and confirm, others would have been kicking doors and punching the walls (Which I have seen a bit of).

I know there is a lot of testosterone flying around but people having tantrums and screaming at each other is not the answer. Everyone's there to have fun, if you want to be overly agressive to people go and have a bar fight or something.

With regards to the bang rule, I try and use it when I can and I'd hope others would with me too, there are people that don't have full face protection (I know that is thier choice) and I'm sure they don't want thier teeth shot out or massive welts all over them, the objective isn't to go and hurt people.

Just my two cents

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

hoggy21 Find out more about hoggy21
                                Working...
                                X